• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8.5x42 vs. NL 8x32 - only pair (1 Viewer)

I might mention that while initially I thought the forehead rest for the NL's was a gimmick - I now use it, and I like it a lot mostly because it helps me get good eye position quickly.
I initially thought it was an expensive and unnecessary gimmick too until I tried a pair of NL's with and without. But £105! Nah.

But careful negotiaton tactics, comprising a rapid about-turn and a brisk walk towards the exit door, had the desired effect and lo and behold, they were added FOC. ;)

Absolutely brilliant bit of kit which transforms this old gits 10x42's!

FOC, really ?!!!! Lucky Guy !!!! ;)
FOC yes. Lucky no.

If you are prepared to walk away the seller can either put the bino's back on the shelf or offer an inducement to buy.

In this case the headrest was included FOC and the Pure's purchased.

Didn't work on the Curio's I purchased the other month but swings and roundabouts!

FWIW Grahams of Inverness include the forehead rest foc including with online purchases (no need to walk away :) )
Thank you for the link, they look like a very interesting shop with some good prices. I must admit that I didn't know of them. Thankfully I got my NL's just before the price hike!

Last edited:
I had the EL 8.5x42 for a bit that I took on short walks. Decided they were a bit too big and tried the NL 8x32 and the Zeiss SF 8x32. I liked the view from the NL but decided to keep the SF as my only binocular. The biggest reason was the NLs fogged up on me easily in humid weather compared to the EL and SF. The Zeiss also had better balance in my hand and the focuser seemed better than the NL between it and the Zeiss SF samples.

Eco friendly armor that degrades and removing water repellent coatings from lenses because they aren’t good for the environment? Eventually the binoculars are going to be made out of biodegradable paper and the lenses edible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back