• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elina's Corner (2 Viewers)

A totally divine sheet of owls Elina - some of the nicest drawings I've seen. Good luck with the ringing and I'm pleased to hear you have a full day of lectures which means lots more drawings.

Well, lectures over. Result: 1 Pygmy owl, 1 Hawfinch. The Hawfinch's colors are a bit off, and the wing's color pattern is a bit off (should have checked the colors & patterns earlier on, but I wasn't too willing to be leafing the bird guide too often in class...).

Elina

Attachments

• pygmyowl.JPG
    pygmyowl.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 43
  • nkks2.JPG
    nkks2.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
great sketches Elina. The pygmy owls excellent. I was lucky enough to see a 1st w female pied wheatear myself last week. It was very steady and confiding but I did not have a chance to sketch. excellent studies.
Steve

Hi Elina,

A lot to see here have been away for a bit. First of all the Bearded Tits are little beauties, well done, a really terrific little painting. Pygmy Owl sketches and ink are super too, your field sketching is improving, keep it up.

Lastly a special mention for that Hawfinch, a really special drawing, solid, confident and full of character....

I'm glad you've liked the Hawfinch, because it really was a struggle to get there. I did at least half a dozen or more attempts at drawings that just weren't right before this one.

Alan, those haven't actually been done in field. I'm at the moment drawing after the sighting, inside. Next spring I'll be back into real field sketching again, but at the moment I'm content with trying to keep warm when outside (it's cold here) and doing the drawing during lectures and at home.

I think I'll be doing a triple post now...

Elina

Evolution of sketching, part 1

On Sunday night I couldn't sleep because an idea of a story forced me to switch the light back on every three minutes. I was very tired, but I very much needed to get the ideas on paper. So I was scribbling down small notes and sections of dialogue with some VERY quick sketches.

I'm now posting those sketches here. When I was doing them, I thought they looked awful, but I just didn't have the energy to try anything more time consuming.

Well, those crazy little sketches saved my story. I did have some segments of text, but the pictures actually made the ideas live. They look like they were done by a five year old. But: the characters had gotten out on the paper and they were still alive and well in the morning, demanding on me to write down their story. The story is now written, with some more detailed sketches done (check next post).

Lesson learned: keep on sketching, no matter how bad those sketches look at that moment! There's always something captured in the sketch that can be used later on for something more thorough.

Another lesson learned: don't worry about what a sketch looks like. Have fun! Even if it's done in a hurry/very tired, a sketch is worth a 1000 words.

Bird ID, anyone? :D (Just kidding, I'll be posting something more serious looking as soon as I've colored the illustrations for the version of the story I'm sending to my little sister and little brother.)

Elina

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Evolution of sketching 2

Today in seminar meeting (ha!) I took some time to do less-quick quick-sketches for the previously mentioned story.

Translation for the second pic: "It was big. Definitely big enough for the Godwit." (The sketches were done in spaces I left among the text.)

Elina

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 53
Thoroughly charming and totally captivating drawings. I will come back to you about these ideas - they're definitely worth pursuing.

Your drawings are always full of charm Elina and these quickies are no exception. It's a good idea to get stuff down immediately, I did it with an idea I had after waking up on a coach journey; That developed into a whole children's book.

Mike

Well, here's one of the quick illustrations I did for the story so that this won't be a sketchless post. My little sister and brother enjoyed the story and illustrations, so far so good. The illustrations shall be further developed though, in watercolor, I think.

Question: Birds Illustrated - what's the magazine like, is it worth ordering? I just happened to tumble across the website of the magazine and at least it sounded good - bird photography and bird art. But since there are quite a few options out there regarding bird magazines, I would love to have an opinion from someone who has actually read the magazine.

Elina

Attachments

• str2.JPG
    str2.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 53
LOL! What a superb drawing, love it.
As for Birds Illustrated, well if it's got art in it, then yes it's worth a look. I only got one copy - when I had a line drawing in it, couldn't afford to take out a subsciption to it during my student days, but I found it a captivating read, even if some of it isn't really to my taste, it's still worth reading.

Lovely drawing Elina, I'm looking forward to seeing the whole story when it's published.

Birds Illustrated is the best bird mag on the market in my opinion. It concentrates on photography and art and is less concerned with the finer points of ID etc. It's a real quarterly treat for me and provides inspiration and enjoyment every time, thoroughly recommended. (No, I don't work for them! ;)).

Mike

Sounds like Birds Illustrated it is for me as soon as I'll get around ordering a birding mag (hopefully sooner than later), thanks for opinions Nick and Woody!

Well... It's 2:21 AM. I've been painting. It must be catchy, this night painting.

I managed to do a drawing of a Lesser white-fronted goose (after lots of practice sketching). Even though it was on "only" drawing paper, I decided it was worth giving some color so out came the watercolors. Which turned out to make these past few hours quite challengeing. So far I haven't used these new colors for anything but field sketches. So I hadn't found out how tricky they are. When I mix them, they don't stay mixed (blue goes down, sienna comes up etc.). Fortunately I was motivated enough to just keep going. First there was supposed to be just the head, but then I decided it decerved to have some surroundings. Yellow grass? No, didn't feel right. Icy grass? Yes! After some time spent with watercolors, out came the white gouache. And now I think it's time to sleep over it and take another look at it in the morning.

By the way: this was done with the Ennion mix: burnt sienna, blue, yellow ochre, red (I've got a "wrong" red, but looks like I can live with it) and white.

Elina

Attachments

• lwf1.JPG
    lwf1.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 51
  • lwf2.JPG
    lwf2.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 78
THAT'S AWESOME! Saw the new avatar and had to hurry on over here, I love the hues of this portrait!

agreed! This is superb! Look how wonderfully warm the goose is against the cold grass. Sounds like you're enjoying discovering the colours too, as you say blues and earth colours often separate, (or seperate - I can never remember how to spell it!), which can produce some superb results - just like here!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back