• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Experienced Opinions needed (3 Viewers)

I’d go with Meopta or Kowa. Both excellent manufacturers without the top-tier reputation and ensuing markups of Swarovski/Zeiss/Leica.

Here is a good review on the Kowa Genesis 8x33 XD.

"Kowa’s Genesis 8x33s are an excellent pair of compact binoculars. But in some ways the devil is in the detail. First glance suggests they are full-on alpha-class; close inspection reveals they’re not – quite.
The view gives a little away to the very best. It is as wide as any in its class, super-sharp and full of contrast in the centre of the field. Correction of false colour is simply the finest. But whilst the field is quite flat overall, the perfect sweet spot is quite small. Ghosting suppression isn’t state of the art, either."

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Kowa8x33.htm

Last edited:
Good thing I didn't notice that small sweet spot. Maybe because it fell off so gradually to the edge. I think they were as nice as my swarovski's were but I'm not picky about things I can't see or don't notice. That's a really great review with nice photos of these binos and those fabulous eye cups. I wish there were more like it. If CA is an issue for someone it looks like these would be an excellent choice among many other things (not a trace of CA looking at the moon wow!) . He compared them favoriably with the Zeiss’ Victory 8x32 FLs which cost twice as much. While they are not perfect this review only made me want to own them more. I've looked through them so I know.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back