• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Favourite Bird (4 Viewers)

Mine would be raptors of all kinds as they are large and look spectacular; also any large bird, for the same reason. Have just spied 6 Herring gulls which have swooped down to urban garden to eat remains of fish and chip meal. At the seaside I wouldn't give them a glance but in another setting they can look quite spectacular. Also colourful birds such as Bee eaters and Hoopoe. But I think owls remain my firm favourites...there is something "other worldish" about them.

Don't have a specific favorite, as there are too many contenders. Raptors, owls and any crested passerine are all aesthetic natural wonders. But the one bird that got me hooked on birding as a child was the Scarlet Tanager.

My favorite is the Pileated Woodpecker... They are so amazing! There are some where I live but I don't see them everyday or even every week. My hope is the suet I put out will tempt them to come closer! And of course I'm searching for birds of prey and owls.. Also, can't wait to see a kestrel! I think the hawks and owls are beautiful!

Raptors are a passion, but my favorite bird is the American Robin. There's something about the way they hop around the lawn looking for tasty morsels that make me smile. Robins are also silly looking with their toothpick legs and overhanging bellies.

For 99% of people, it is an impossible question. There should be categories of favorites, like plumage (Resplendent Quetzal), behavior (can't think of one), and all-around breath-takingness (Wandering/Royal Albatross, Northern Hawk-Owl).

My favourite birds are male Blackburnian Warbler, Cyprus Warbler, White-tailed Eagle and Bee-Eater to name a few, funnily enough Kirsty Gallagher also springs to mind;)

My favourite birds are male Blackburnian Warbler, Cyprus Warbler, White-tailed Eagle and Bee-Eater to name a few, funnily enough Kirsty Gallagher also springs to mind;)

Hi Birdspotter

Just to say you come from Edinburgh too, great place isn't it. So that makes two of us. :t:

My favourite bird will have to be the Red Kite. I had the joy of living next to a pair for two years, in the central belt of Scotland. o:)

The area was farmland. I stayed with my OH, and it was one of the sceneic places that we stayed at yet with all round paranonic views three sides. o:)

Never come across this view since! o:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back