• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fedup with I E (1 Viewer)

walt-m

Hi
I would like to know if i could fix internet explorer as i keep getting
this, internet explorer can't open this page.
Is there anyway to fix or get rid if so please post any instructions,
will be most grateful.

Thank You.:C

Walt,
Try using Firefox from Mozilla, it's a free browser and not open to the security issues that plague IE.
The only time I use IE now is when I download programs from BBC iPLayer as it won't work in FF.

Hi Walt

I've been using Firefox for ages and really hate having to use IE (on the very few occasions I need to)

The only times I do, is if I'm speaking to my ISP and for occasionally checking the layout on Opus articles.

So rest assured you don't 'lose' IE but I wouldn't mind betting you'll eventually forget you've got it:-O

D

I use Google Chrome, takes a while to get used to (10 secs) as it has only two menus and four icon doodas.
It imports your bookmarks, has security features, never crashes, is very very quick, and is hugely easy to use.
Google Chrome

hi Walt

I have just moved from IE to Firefox from Mozilla as Keith has mentioned in his post.

The reason was that I could not download 'Google Earth' so it was suggested to me that Firefox presents a lot less problems when it comes to downloading free browser/software.

There are some perks i have lost (I have Vista) but I can live without as they are more like fancy functions with my Browser - I could produce all my functional browsers from the Bird Forum, and associated forums on my screen as layered, staggered icons. I could open them at my whim without shutting any of them down, but no more i am afraid. ;)

No loss as I have Google Earth, and that is what my OH wanted. Great thing to have, and he is happy now.

I also feel that I am having less problems in general with Firefox too. So Firefox is thumbsup - IE thumbs down from me.

Good to know that you can switch between IE and Firefox Keith. :t:

Hi Chris - Never heard of Google Chrome before - interesting?

Last edited:
hi Walt

I have just moved from IE to Firefox from Mozilla as Keith has mentioned in his post.

The reason was that I could not download 'Google Earth' so it was suggested to me that Firefox presents a lot less problems when it comes to downloading free software.

There are some perks i have lost (I have Vista) but I can live without as they are more like fancy fuctions with my Browser - I could produce all my functional browsers from the Bird Forum, and associated forums on my screen as layered, staggered icons. I could open them at my whim without shutting any of them down, but no more i am afraid. ;)

No loss as I have Google Earth, and that is what my OH wanted. Great thing to have, and he is happy now.

I also feel that I am having less problems in general with Firefox too. So Firefox is thumbsup - IE thumbs down from me.

Good to know that you can switch between IE and Firefox Keith. :t:

Hi Chris - Never heard of Google Chrome before - interesting?

Google Chrome works the way you want - when I'm here and open (say) someones picture it appears under a staggered tab, then if I go somewhere else I can quickly come back here by clicking a tab.
Chrome doesn't take over as your default browser unless you tell it to.

I use Google Earth too but pay for the extended version so I can download routes and tracks from my GPS so I can see what was behind the hill or hidden in the mist when I'm out walking.

I also use GoogleMaps on my PocketPC which also has Collins BirdGuide & the RSPB BirdGuide and Geoff Sample's BirdSounds.

I also have a Creative Zen MP3 player with Mr Samples Birdsounds on it - as it takes memory cards I can also watch Mr Attenborough's DVDs whilst on the bus/train to wherever I've planned to go using GoogleEarth.

Marvelous age we live in..apart from some of the people accompanying us :)

Hello Fellows, My 15 old boy downloaded Mozilla Firefox without my permission, boy am I glad he did. I don't use IE any more but can.;):t::t:
Regards,Steve

Hello Fellows, My 15 old boy downloaded Mozilla Firefox without my permission, boy am I glad he did. I don't use IE any more but can.;):t::t:
Regards,Steve

Thanks to everyone who gave me the advice, I have now changed my
browser from I E to firefox 3 and learning my way round, a special
thanks to Keith and Delia yes I did import my bookmarks as firefox
did it for me.

all the best to everyoneB :)

There are some perks i have lost (I have Vista) but I can live without as they are more like fancy functions with my Browser - I could produce all my functional browsers from the Bird Forum, and associated forums on my screen as layered, staggered icons. I could open them at my whim without shutting any of them down, but no more i am afraid. ;)

Hi Kathy, I don't understand this bit, why can't you do that with tabs in Firefox? I'm logged into two other forums and photobucket right now, all in different tabs, I also have the gallery here open in another tab.

Mick

Hi Kathy to elaborate on Micks query, go into File, select New tab and open another site in the new tab and add as many tabs as you like. Alternately drag other sites from your Bookmarks onto the tool bar dropping them next to opened tab, you'll see a small blue positioning arrow, and away you go |;|

Stewart

Last edited:
Hi Kathy to elaborate on Micks query, go into File, select New tab and open another site in the new tab and add as many tabs as you like. Alternately drag other sites from your Bookmarks onto the tool bar dropping them next to opened tab, you'll see a small blue positioning arrow, and away you go |;|

Stewart

Rather than *File - new tab*........... why not just right click on the toolbar, select Customise and put a *New Tab* button on the toolbar.

You can also make a bookmarks toolbar containing your most popular bookmarks underneath the main title bar.

Here is a little trick if you have a wheel mouse and you are using Firefox.

To open a link in a new tab, click the link with the wheel. It will create a new tab and open the link in it.

Works with search button, back button, etc.

Mike

Hi Kathy, I don't understand this bit, why can't you do that with tabs in Firefox? I'm logged into two other forums and photobucket right now, all in different tabs, I also have the gallery here open in another tab.

Mick

Stewart

Hi Stewart and Mick

Will talk in the morning guys, and answer what have asked. I have had other distractions tonight!

Great to hear from you Mick :t:

Same applies to other answers just above this post - thank for your thoughts too.

Kathy
in Firefox, when selecting a link, right click on the link and you will open a box which asks you whether you want to open in a new window, or open in a new tab. Select new tab and you have open the page on your desk top and you can change between one tab and the next by selecting the title at the top, or if like me you have loads of tabs open, go to the line of titles and follow it to the right, you'll see a small blue arrow pointing right and next to it on the right an even smaller triangle pointing down. Click on this trianlge and it will give you a list of all the currently open tabs, from which you can select which one you want.
I have a home page which consists of 21 open tabs, things like Birdforum, Opus, BTO website, Bubo listing, work related sites...loads of them and they all open up when I open up Firefox.

Here is a little trick if you have a wheel mouse and you are using Firefox.

To open a link in a new tab, click the link with the wheel. It will create a new tab and open the link in it.

Works with search button, back button, etc.

Mike

.........even better. Cheers. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back