• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (6 Viewers)

I've seen Red-eared Sliders do the same in Hong Kong, where they've become an invasive species
Hello MKinHK,

About 75 years ago, New Yorkers started to motor to the countryside, where their children caught turtles. After returning home, the parents took the turtles from the bath tub and dropped them in Central Park. The presence of alien turtles is very apparent in what used to be called Belvedere Lake, which is now known as Turtle Pond.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Central Park is experiencing a low in the variety of birds. Sometimes, I struggle to see ten native birds, even mallards are not an everyday experience. I am fairly certain that I heard a yellowCuckoo, yellow billed.jpgWhite throated sparrow.jpg billed cuckoo, Wednesday, but I certainly saw a white throated sparrow on Sunday. Another bird watcher suggested a a white throat had been summering in the northern end of the Park

Stay safe,
Arthur

We're in a bit of the doldrums too. Heat is not helping!
Hello KC and Middle River,

On my way home from the Park, via Zabar's*, a woman asked me if I had seen any birds. I replied, "The birds have all gone north to the mountains†. They are so lucky, they don't need to buy a 'bus ticket."

Stay safe,
Arthur

*The favourite grocer of the Upper West Side, sort of like Fortnum & Masons's without the pretension.
†Local language for the Catskills.

Hello,

There seems to be some change in the air over Central Park. First of all, I did have a brief glimpse of the yellow billed cuckoo mentioned in post #1023. Two days ago, I am fairly certain that I spotted a belted kingfisher, possibly a female, over Turtle pond, although it was distant and buried, its behaviour was consisted with our kingfisher. Yesterday, I surely saw a song sparrow, a veery and a female American redstart. The latter two at Azalea Pond.
Kingfisher, belted.jpgSong sparrow.jpgVeery.jpgAMERICAN redstart, female.jpeg

All images by Luis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Migration has started but not necessarily for me. The kingbirds nested in a different spot this year but I did get to see what might have been a juvenile. Black crowned night herons are fairly common, although they do hide during the day. I did manage to see a juvenile night heron over the Lake.
Yes, I have seen warbler since my last post: a red eyed vireo, black and white warblers, and male American redstarts. I spotted an early song sparrow and saw a female scarlet tananger, with its yellow breast.
More to come.

Red eyed vireo.jpgblack and white warbler.jpgAmerican redstart.jpgSong sparrow.jpgScarlet Tanager.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I have not posted for some time. As they say in the military, "No excuse, sir!' Although last weekend was a little rainy: 150mm in one day.

Since my last post, I have seen an ovenbird, ruby throated hummingbirds, northern waterthrush, Swainson's thrush, and a prairie warbler. That puts me only ten days behind.

ovenbird.jpgHummingbird, ruby throated II.jpgnorthern waterthrush.jpgSwainson's thrush.jpgPrairie warbler.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

The autumnal migration is moving along. Two weeks, ago, I saw a , a magnolia warbler, and three brown thrashers. The brown thrashers were together on one meadow. I have also seen a palm warbler and both golden crowned and ruby crowned kinglets and a male scarlet tanager [see post #1028] and a rose breasted grosbeak.

warbler, magnolia.jpgbrown thrasher.jpgpalm warbler.jpgkinglets.jpgrose breasted grosbeak.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I had my first three woodpecker day in a long time: yellow belly sapsucker, red belly woodpecker and a northern flicker as well a sparrow hawk, AKA kestrel and an Eastern wood pewee. The weather has become typical of early autumn but the trees are showing little colour.
Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpgRed bellied woodpecker.jpgNorthern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpgSparrow hawk.jpgEastern Wood pewee.jpg
All images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes. Both the yellow belly sapsucker and the northern flicker are from Fannie Eckstrom's The Woodpeckers, 1901, the others are from Eaton's Birds of New York, 1912-1914.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    Eastern Wood pewee.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Sparrow hawk.jpg
    Sparrow hawk.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    Northern Flicker (Eckstrom).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    Yellow bellied sapsucker II.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
All my trees are still heavy with green leaves and we've had some cold (for this season) days and evenings.

All my trees are still heavy with green leaves and we've had some cold (for this season) days and evenings.
Our Walnuts are have been dropping leaves (and nuts!) but other species are really just getting started. We always have PIleated, Red-belly, Downy, and Hairy, but the Flickers and Sapsuckers started appearing just the last week or so.

Our Walnuts are have been dropping leaves (and nuts!) but other species are really just getting started. We always have PIleated, Red-belly, Downy, and Hairy, but the Flickers and Sapsuckers started appearing just the last week or so.
Hello,

I rarely see hairy and I never see pileated woodpeckers. Acorns are falling all over Central Park but still few colourful leaves.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I am still catching up. Last month, I saw a magnolia warbler, which were about for weeks, and early this month brown creepers and a black throated green turned up. More recently, this week, I saw wood thrushes and a song sparrow.

Stay safe,
Arthur

warbler, magnolia.jpgBrown creeper.jpgBlack throated green.jpgwood thrush.jpgSong sparrow.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back