• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

I was reading about Central Park in latest issue of Audubon magazine - I had NO idea what great birding can be found there!
Hello,

I do not get Audubon. Was that the article which was highly critical of Dr. Robert de Candido, AKA Birding Bob? Another bird watcher thought the article was vicious and unfair. Yes, those recorded calls do upset or distract others but he does get people interested in the pastime. Remember the Park is a resource for all.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Last week, I saw a winter wren, a myrtle warbler aka yellow rump warbler, a cooper hawk. This week I caught a glimpse of a Tennessee warbler and a white crowned sparrow.
Winter wren II.jpgMyrtle Yellow.jpgcooper hawk.jpgTennessee warbler.jpgWhite crowned sparrow.jpg

After four years of remaining in New York, I am going to become a culture vulture and do a little travelling. I should return when autumn leaves are in full colour.
leaves II.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I do not get Audubon. Was that the article which was highly critical of Dr. Robert de Candido, AKA Birding Bob? Another bird watcher thought the article was vicious and unfair. Yes, those recorded calls do upset or distract others but he does get people interested in the pastime. Remember the Park is a resource for all.

Stay safe,
Arthur
It's mostly about Barrett and the social media popularization of birding, leading to pressure on birds/habitat. But yes Candido is mentioned briefly but critically - it's said he is known for heavy-handed use of bird-call playback and flashlighting (both generally considered questionable techniques) when leading owling groups. I'm not well versed in CPark drama, but from an outsider's POV, I thought the emphasis was on the need for extra caution when using social media etc. as an integral part of birding. Of course twitching has been around as long as birding, but bringing crowds of people into the mix does seem to be a double-edged sword. It's great to introduce noobs to birding and raise consciousness re ecology etc. but I would think it needs to be substantive.

Anyway, it was mostly interesting to me to learn about Central Park, which was only on my radar from your thread which I always enjoy!

BTW, safe travels!

Hello Frank and Middle River,

Thanks for the wishes of a bon voyage, that is a hint of my destination.

Central Park is on the East Coast migratory flyway and has a varied habitat with an area if 843 acres (341 ha; 1.317 sq mi; 3.41 km2). Approximately 25% is open water: the Lake, the Pond, Turtle Pond, the Pool and the Mere. There are open lawns and meadows, places of dense woodland and even a few spots of wetland. As you can read from this thread, the Park gets a nice variety of birds and of bird watchers.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,
My holiday was successful and I managed to see and identify a bird, which I will never see in Central Park.

After my trip, I did see a swamp sparrow in a temporary wetland in Central, a meadow with poor drainage. I do not see swamp sparrows every year. I had the pleasure of seeing my first junco of the season, as well as a white breasted nuthatch. Yesterday, I saw my first northern shovel(l)era and hooded mergansers of the season. The former a little late and the latter perhaps a little early.

Swamp sparrow.jpgjunco.jpgnuthatches II.jpgShoveler.jpghooded mergansers.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

It's mostly about Barrett and the social media popularization of birding, leading to pressure on birds/habitat. But yes Candido is mentioned briefly but critically - it's said he is known for heavy-handed use of bird-call playback and flashlighting (both generally considered questionable techniques) when leading owling groups. I'm not well versed in CPark drama, but from an outsider's POV, I thought the emphasis was on the need for extra caution when using social media etc. as an integral part of birding. Of course twitching has been around as long as birding, but bringing crowds of people into the mix does seem to be a double-edged sword. It's great to introduce noobs to birding and raise consciousness re ecology etc. but I would think it needs to be substantive.

Anyway, it was mostly interesting to me to learn about Central Park, which was only on my radar from your thread which I always enjoy!

BTW, safe travels!
Hello Middle River,

Many bird watchers do not care to post about rare birds, as the "twitchers" disturb the birds and others. Most bird watchers do keep a reasonable distance from their targets but some are ill behaved. I do not walk around "connected" and do not participate in social media, unless one counts Birdfourm as social media.

Year ago,I recall learning of a barred owl in the Park and communicated my tip to a small guided group . When we saw the owl, the guide asked his group not to post about the owl. Of course, he was too late. Since then owls have become moref requent visitors to the Park.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello,

Sunday, I decided to visit the Reservoir. In a few minutes, I saw ruddy ducks, two female gadwalls and buffleheads. The buffleheads are our smallest ducks and can be seen all winter, unless the Reservoir freezes.
Yesterday, I saw my first fox sparrow of the season but today, I saw American goldfinches in autumnal plumage. Immediately after seeing the fox sparrow, near a little artificial stream, I saw two eyes staring at me: probably an American bull frog.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Ruddy duck.jpggadwall,female.jpgbuffleheads.jpgFox sparrow.jpgAmerican goldfinch.jpg

Hello,

Another Sunday, and another km excursion to the Reservoir, where I saw both a female and a male gadwall, and an American coot. Monday, I saw a pair of redwing blackbirds, which must have migrated from the north.
As I have not seen much new, I will add a photo of Bow Bridge surrounded by autumnal colours.

Stay safe,
Arthur
gadwall, male.jpgcoots.jpgred winged blackbirds.jpgBow Bridge, November 6, 2023.jpg

Last edited:
Hello,

In the past week only two new seasonal birds have shown up. I managed to see male wood ducks, first on the Lake and then on the Reservoir. Friday, and then again yesterday, I saw a tufted titmouse, which seemed rather late. Yesterday, I did see a song sparrowWood duck.jpgtufted titmouse.jpgSong sparrow.jpg
which surprised me. Birds read neither field guides nor calendars, but they do fly.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,
Yesterday's rain discouraged me from visiting the Reservoir. As we proceed into winter, all sorts of waterfowl may turn up. However, last week, I did see Amerian black ducks on the Lake. Today, I was surprised to see both a brown creeper and a hermit thrush. They are straggers, I guess.

Stay safe,
Arthur
ArthurAmerican black duck.jpgHermit thrush.jpgBrown creeper.jpg

Hello,

I have met the winter doldrums in that I have little new to report. Even today's visit to the Reservoir revealed nothing new. There are the occasional unexpected bird, as in today's ruby crowned kinglet. There is a pair of American black ducks which frequently turn up on the Lake. Before this year, I had never seen a black duck in the Park, but I was assured that they visit the Pool, which is farther north than my usual excursions.
Of note, there are few tufted titmice or white breasted nuthatches and I have not seen a black capped chickadee this season.
Aside from the kinglet, today's sightings included
mallards,
northern shovellers,
buffleheads,
hooded mergansers,
American black ducks,
ruddy ducks,
downy woodpeckers, female,
red belly woodpecker,
an American robin,
white throat sparrows,
northern cardinals, and
blue jays.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg

Hello,

The Christmas Bird Count was has held last Sunday. but this is my Christmas Eve bird sightings"
Mourning doves,
Hermit thrush see post #1052,
,White throat sparrows,
Cooper hawk,
Blue jays,
White throat sparrows,
Cooper hawk,
Mallards,
Northern shovellers,
American black duck
Hooded mergansers,
Buffleheads and a
Red breasted merganser.

I also wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
red breasted merganser.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

That's a gorgeous painting Arthur!! And you really had a rather decent list for the day too!

I hope you have a happy Christmas my friend.

Hello,

The winter doldrums continue but another Sunday visit to the Reservoir made an interesting New Year's Eve list:
mallards
norther shovellers
American coots
buffleheads
ruddy ducks
hooded mergansers
wood duck
mourning doves
white throat sparrows
blue jays
fox sparrow
brown creeper, quite unexpected for this date,
northern mockingbird
northern cardinal, male
downy woodpecker

To all, my best wishes for a New Year of good health, of happiness and of peace,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello,

The winter doldrums continue but another Sunday visit to the Reservoir made an interesting New Year's Eve list:
mallards
norther shovellers
American coots
buffleheads
ruddy ducks
hooded mergansers
wood duck
mourning doves
white throat sparrows
blue jays
fox sparrow
brown creeper, quite unexpected for this date,
northern mockingbird
norther cardinal, male
downy woodpecker

To all, my best wishes for a New Year of good health, of happiness and of peace,
Arthur
What, no night herons? There all over the place on Long island.

Happy heathy new year.

Paul

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back