• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (9 Viewers)

Ha! Ha! Love the two peewits looking at the great big stranger as if utterly bewildered! Fabulous sketches Tim.

Mike

don't know how you do this so gracefully, but when I figure it out I'll be one happy camper! I've seen these in Florida, you got the jizz perfect.

Great stuff Tim - can you do me a favour and go flush it tomorrow??? My friend's getting twitchy and wants to go Sun night and I'm the only person idiot enough to go with him to share the driving....help!!!

I was going to wait til tomorrow to make the trip to South Ron again - but I may just have to sneak out this PM for the b100dy albatross!

here - credit G Cannon, Orkney - finder and photographer. We've just got to go and relocate the little beauty now . . .

Attachments

• cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:
ticking like a grandfather clock !

I hate motorsport!
But - just sometimes one has to hit the pedal with a complete lack of finesse and hope the 4-w-d holds the country tracks. I did, it did and, after dropping in at the airport to see if Paul 'Mega' Higson needed a lift (considering Jason, down from Shetland for the crane, had borrowed Paul's motor and wrecked it within 5 minutes - don't be asking for mine Jase ;) ) I arrived at the Gloup, Deerness, about as far from my home as one can drive without getting wet, in 23 minutes. You'd need to know the roads to understand the caculation. Arrived just in time to learn the bird was 'going to bed' - some were even suggesting it wouldn't last the night. Boll*cks - it's sleepy that's all. Jet lag or what have you. I've no doubt it'll be up with the lark (or crane and it's other Am. friends the golden plovers just 2 minutes p the road) in the morning. I've negotiated a deal where I drop Sal off at work (yup, Saturdays too) take the kids to Ma-In-law and then p!ss off for the day doing our western visitors. Fingers crossed they all play ball and all survive the night.
I managed a very quick sketch as the bird huddled under nettles and cow parsley stems in the very gloomy dusk.

Attachments

• y-b cuckoo.jpg
    y-b cuckoo.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 124
Tim, sometime can you post a good link to a map of your island, I'd like to see these places you mention,I did google too. Here is one for weather cams tho I can't pull up the one on Stromness where I think you are....so how long a drive to So Rom?
http://gouk.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=gouk&cdn=travel&tm=15&f=00&tt=12&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.visitorkney.com/webcams.asp

Colleen - they're all far to ummm... excited... to answer sensible questions.

Here's a link to a map - I've homed in on South Ronaldsay for you.

D

oooooooooooooooooooh! This thread is starting to look like that of one of our stateside friends - how did you manage to contain your excitement to get this down on paper - cracking sketch - and fingers crossed it'll be there for you tomorrow.

Oooops - Sorry Colleen and Delia is absolutely correct. I have the manners of a pig (ask my wife and kids) so many thanks Delia for doing the bizz.
Nick - I just didn't have time to get over-excited, the light was fading quicker than my libido and someone mentioned it was about to keel-over. Thought I'd better get drawing!!! I had to use someone else's scope too cos they were already on it (many thanks, whomever you are/were).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back