• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (16 Viewers)

Have been seconded into stable-constuction duties for seemingly ages now and I'm only just getting round to putting paint to canvas. Starting to clear away a few commissions which stretch back years. . .
Apologies for the rubbish pic - oil paint still very wet.

Attachments

• IAPortraitsmall.jpg
    IAPortraitsmall.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 144
haven't a clue who he is - judging by what's round his neck, perhaps a winner in the Blackpool Marathon. What a wonderful radiant glow he has though, not a static boring portrait in any way.

Haven't been in the field for what seems like en eternity - in reality it's probably only seven or eight weeks. The crap weather meant a cessation of construction duties and a chance to sit in a hide (luxury) for a couple of hours. Next-to-no birds and wet, sideways weather, but pure bliss.
It's clear that rust settles quite quickly with this life-drawing lark, but it does feel like a soul-cleansing experience.

Attachments

• rg2.jpg
    rg2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 86
  • rg1.jpg
    rg1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 99
  • rg3.jpg
    rg3.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 90
  • wig.jpg
    wig.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 148
  • burghill.jpg
    burghill.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 113
good to see you back again Tim......yep, rust is a bugger to get rid of when the pencils have been laid up.....Hence, I was well pleased with my effort this morning....

Wonderful to see these, Tim, rust (on your scale anyway!) or not! So much life portrayed with so few marks...always amazing to see.

Your comment about 'sideways weather' brought back a memory. When I was in the master birder certification program a few years back, one of our required field trips was an overnight to the Washington coast for seabirds. Our trip leader (and primary instructor for the program) is an internationally known author and retired professor with a phenomenal reputation. He said it was the worst weather for a field trip he had had in 40 years of birding in the state. Nonetheless, we saw birds and were dealing with the rain, wind and biting cold. Finally, after one particularly chilly spot, we got back in the cars (Dennis, the instructor, was in my car). Dennis turned to the other occupants of the car and said, 'Say, does anyone have any taco chips, potato chips or popcorn?' Someone did, and so Dennis got on the radio to the other cars and said, follow us, we're going to drive down on the beach. (In that area there are a couple miles of beach where cars can be driven.) So we headed down to the beach until we got to a spot that pleased Dennis, whereupon he opened his window and started throwing out a couple of chips. Which of course immediately drew a few seagulls, which eventually became a massive crowd, including many sitting on the hood of the car staring directly at us. Dennis then proceeded to explain the fine points of gonydeal angles and cyclical plumages of the various species as we continued to bait the subjects with chips. Rather an ironic approach with such a reputable leader, we thought, but no one complained because we were dry and warm!

Terrific fieldwork as always, never mind the 'rust', just take a look at the wonderfully evocative and atmosphere soaked watercolour there, or the gaze of the right hand bird on sheet 3. Rust my arse!

Mike

super little trio of Wigeon: your 7 weeks not out in the field makes me a feel little bit better about not getting out hereabouts [although I did see 15 Waxwings from the car yesterday as I cruised into town for the mid-afternoon showing of Gnomeo and Juliet]

Nice to see these tim,lovely Grouse, the watercolour works very well too and very much conveys that it was painted on location. Wigeon are tremendous...

getting back out into the field after so long perhaps makes you feel more rusty, but I think the sketches speak for themselves, you were glad to be back out there and even painted a super watercolour of something that, had you been in the field every day for the past seven weeks, would not necessarily have inspired you.

I can't wait to get out in the field again, the only birding I'm doing is in the street and when I have to give lessons in factories and have an hour to wander the fields around.

Time Gentlemen, Please

Crikey, just checked back on the opening page of this thread and it appears it was almost four years exactly since it rumbled into life. Well, all things come to an end -good, bad or indifferent – and this thread has, I think, provided plenty of all three in equal measure over the years. So, as I alluded to on Nick’s thread, the title; ‘From the Studio’ has been inaccurate for longer than it was applicable, being without a studio for three years now, so it’s time for a change as far as I’m concerned.
Many thanks to all who contributed – and to the many more who just popped in to see what was happening.
Last Orders at the bar B :)- consider this thread now closed.
A new one will emerge . . . . soon . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back