• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (16 Viewers)

Nothing to do with the Hundred-and-seventeen year old Cliff Richard, but a suggestion of the imminent arrival of Northern Fulmar to the otherwise barren cliffs of wintertime.
I painted this earlier in the year, and it was always going to have a few fulmar hanging about. I never put them in and it's being exhibited at the moment.
If and when I get it back, I'll add them, I think.
Acrylic on board, 20"x16"

ooh that caught my eye...even in thumbnail you can see there's something different about the colours you have used in this one..how about Octoberising it with a bunch of Redwings or Starlings coming in off the sea somewhere up at the top?

A bit different from Leysdown too! It's great as is but birds of some type would really give it the edge (no pun intended!).

Woody

Nothing to do with the Hundred-and-seventeen year old Cliff Richard, but a suggestion of the imminent arrival of Northern Fulmar to the otherwise barren cliffs of wintertime.
I painted this earlier in the year, and it was always going to have a few fulmar hanging about. I never put them in and it's being exhibited at the moment.

Tim, if you don't under sell it, and remember not to lower your price, then you may get the painting back. Just be sure to add the the Fulmars with integrity (and no cheating with bowling pins with wings!). ;) ;)

Look forward to seeing it anyway.
All the best,
Des.

....oh nearly forgot. Do they have Ducks Unlimited banquets in Orkney? Not sure how they are with Fulmars, but may be worth a try. Be sure to hold out for big bucks though!

it's another beauty!!! I have been regularly checking back waiting and hoping to see a new painting and lo and behold there is one!!! My withdrawals have temporarily been cured.

My withdrawals have [I said:
temporarily[/I] been cured.

Ditto for me.

Although, I have to say, when I first saw this one, I wasn't sure about it. After looking at it for a few minutes I started to enjoy it. There is a kind of heaviness to it; no, maybe earthliness would be better word. The land and sea are pushing in on each other. There seems to be some kind of pressure there.
I could be over-analyzing of course.
Forgive this one stupid question(maybe even insulting:eek!:), but is that a skyward facing profile in the background on the left I see?

It's up to you to make the decision Tim!
I can't imagine someone else who could be able to
paint these Orkney coastal scapes with such confidence and authenticity
like you do!
Personally, I don't mind if the painting will remain like it is!

Paschalis

Now I know I REALLY shouldn't, but what about this for a response to a fairly innocuous question (on another Forum, I hasten to add).

Re: Becoming real wildlife artist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalha
What do you think? What things will make wildlife artist look like serious artist in eyes of possible clients?

"Being represented by a big publisher, sitting at the Hyatt Regency signing prints...remarking, shaking hands and having work on hand that is jaw dropping excellent!

Being honored at Ruffed Grouse banquets, Ducks Unlimited banquets, Whitetails Unlimited, Trout Unlimited...with a serious work on auction, and then going for big bucks during the live auction.

Having press on being part of a major fundraising effort to save habitat or wildlife itself.

Leading the pack and not caring to imitate what others are doing with your work, setting the bar rather than chasing after it...

Letting clients know of your passion for painting, and integrity...preferring to go hungry and without than compromise on excellence. Never underselling your galleries, and having the galleries thus speaking very highly of you.

Not lowering your prices because everyone else is selling at about 1/4th the price your work is set at...and you're work isn't moving. Not lowering prices because you know what your work and name is worth, and thus collectors with money and the better eye can trust your work will maintain value.

Knowing your subject intimately. Talking with clients about YOUR work in the field, and acquired understanding. People in the community aware of your knowledge, and when a question comes up perhaps even to a taxidermist their suggestion may well be to....get hold of that wildlife artist __________, s/he'll know! You should be well known by area wardens and natural resources people. Serious wildlife artists should have the rapport. Often, I have had wardens stop by and show me a spring plumage rare predator bird roadkilled, illegal for most people to have in their possession.

In other words...live it. Let there be NO pretense. No bowling pins with wings attached and calling them ducks.

Enter competitions, work hard to improve and establish yourself with finalist pieces, runner-ups, and wins. Galleries, reps, agents and various exhibitions will rely upon such to attest to your proven status.

Clients/collectors are admiring an idealized idea of an individual with character, set apart and different than most people they know. Your job is to be that person of substance and character which means not settling for the easier way to slide thru life. Clients with money and loving the outdoors, conservation, wildlife and so forth are investing, and can spot a fake...

These are just a few ideas...

Then, after 20 years...come to realize that reputation and about .75 cents will buy you a cup of coffee...meaning, don't let it get to your head.

good luck to you in your endeavors...."

My new mantra! Heres too a wealthy 32008 and a bird filled new year! By that time your work will be respected! Only glad a certain Mr. Thredfall won the award he did with regard to the birdwatch awards, Chris Rose should be no more than a contender! Incredibile work.... Hall of fame please....
Add to that Mr. Tim Wooton and in particular Mr. Nick Derry. Inspiration comes in many forms, mine is usually in the form of a bottle of french red, as for the rest, will leave it to the birds!
Never stop looking! Despite what Linda says we are not all potential simple nobel prize winners waiting to happen... Wish you all a happy christmas..only God with a capital G and his debated son J can stop mt now with 10 weels holidaYS!

,,,AND YUES,,,,,i i AM DRUNK!

wow Alan, you're beating me there, it's still morning and you're already drunk, I'm only hungover! (and you seemed to have zoomed 30, 000 years into the future!! Agree that Mr Threlfall richly deserved the birdwatch award, those stilts were just electric. And here's to making 2008 the best 2008 ever. (Philosophers say nothing).

wow Alan, you're beating me there, it's still morning and you're already drunk, I'm only hungover! (and you seemed to have zoomed 30, 000 years into the future!! Agree that Mr Threlfall richly deserved the birdwatch award, those stilts were just electric. And here's to making 2008 the best 2008 ever. (Philosophers say nothing).

How did you know I was royally pissed?;)

Sentiment still stands though...

Apologies for the bad diction! Mother sent me the latest Birdwatch issue among other things for Christmas, thus giving me the material for the drunken philospizing::.

Happy Christmas to all you buggers, I'm off for the hair of the dog!

How did you know I was royally pissed?;)

QUOTE]

you told us :-O, ",,,AND YUES,,,,,i i AM DRUNK!"

Enjoy the hair of the dog, not long before I get a few beers inside me tonightB :) (that smiley is so often used here!). Merry Christmas to you all aswell.

Just popped into this thread because I've clicked on the paper clip symbol at the main page and found that a couple of really strong works are hidden here. Shame they're so buried in all these pages - they deserve a thread of their own. I'd like to know more about them, but really can't face wading through all these pages to find them. Just a comment.

Shock, horror - A New Post!!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions Des - spot on! (Where did you get the idea from? ;) )
Also - cheers for bigging me up via the gallery Nick (actually I didn't know that was available) - cheers.
A very good friend, fellow BFer and now THE Orkney Rare Bird Alerter - Paul Higson, was after a pencil drawing I did for the local bird report. As usual, I've 'misplaced' it so, in return for many years' FREE usage of the ORBA scheme (NOTE: SEVERAL, not the three we agreed, Paul!!!), here is the small watercolour sketch I hope he'll accept as replacement.
He, of course, hasn't seen it yet. Sally says to charge him the usual £300 ;) ;) ;) :-O :-O :-O

Attachments

• Gyr8.jpg
    Gyr8.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 111
ooh, now that is nice, one of those would be nice to sketch tomorrow with all the frost and ice we've got here!

A Gyr would be a nice Christmas feast for the eyes Tim....

Wishing you and yours a content, festive Xmas and all the best for the year to come....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back