• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (6 Viewers)

Beautiful Gyr Tim!

I hope we'll see a return to your prolific form in 2008, like Peter I get withdrawal symptoms when I don't get my fix of new Woottons!

All the best for 2008.

Woody (OK, since we're in a new year)....

Mike

Thanks guys - no new work to report here I'm afraid, having spent the whole of the festive period laid up in bed with 'proper' flu. I'm only just managing to crawl out today to finish a piece of illustration work, then iy's back to bed - uuurgh! Feel like I've been tangling with a road-roller, and it hasn't helped that I haven't had ONE alcoholic drink for over a week!!!.
So cheersch (not!) - all the best.

Isn't it supposed to be good luck to start the year with flu? probably not. Get well soon, my flu remedy is anything that begins with gin, so gin, ginster's pasties and ginger in large quantities (but not gingivitis).

I wish you a speedy recovery from that. You really should drink more you know, you've gotta stay warm in the wild, wild north! Just in case I should catch flu via the internet I'm going to try Nick's cure when I get home, I think it's best to be on the safe side...

Mike

Best wishes from me too Tim!
Be sure you're not the only one you've got flu these days!
My wife tries also to recover at the moment, daughter already recovered
and I hope it will not catch me !!...

Oooo, Tim, I hope you are feeling better today. I just got over something nasty that I had while on hubby's and my little getaway together. Loveliest time spent in the bathroom ever.

Best
Beth

Best wishes Tim- At least I had the dreaded 'flu' or whatever it was over and done with before Xmas! look forward to seeing some new work for 2008 :t:

flappy

Thank you for your very kind words - feeling much better now, cheers.
I've also had this image on my mind for a while now - I have a feeling I know where I'm going with it, but am also only too happy to accept advice and suggestions.

Attachments

• hoodie18.jpg
    hoodie18.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 110
Really nice, Tim. I don't know this bird or its habits, but I am looking for something in the foreground that it will either pass or perch on. Something vertical. That's all the suggestion you are going to get outta me.
Glad you are feeling better.

hmm, I love the freedom in it so far, you must keep that. Also the bird is making a sharp turn, think of how to express that in your visual language. God I'm talking bo11ox and i haven't even been drinking that much! Ok, back to normal talking, the perch and the hoodie are the main elements and make a perfect picture, but as we're all aesthetic people we want a background, subdued and spacious is what I'm thinking. (Good to see you're better!)

Thanks - yes the post is supposed to be the intended perch for the bird (hooded crow, Beth) and I'm using the counterbalancing leg to try and suggest a quickish turn mid air. I'm in agreement that space behind and between the objects (subjects) ought to be left quite 'spacy', so I suppose a misty coastal scene would do it (I know where to get that reference from, anyway ;) .
A bit of detail added to the birdy . . . The bird is about 'done' now. On to the background etc . . .

Attachments

• hoodie28.jpg
    hoodie28.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 78
  • hoodiedetai8.jpg
    hoodiedetai8.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
now I understand! I have to admit to checking the name of the file to identify the bird before, NOW it looks like a hoodie!

Incredible movement and expression in this one! Personally, I like the bird painted just the way it is with no background. It is such a dynamic posture. The way the image is cropped in your latest post works well too. On the other hand, I can't wait to see what you come up with! How's that for being on the fence...LOL.

Glad to hear you're back in the land of the living Tim. I'm sure you know exactly where you're going with the hoodie, just don't change that bird, he's just about perfect as he is.

Mike

Hi Tim glad you're better.

I love the way this one is coming along. It has a certain sinister feel to it. You could get away with three witches around a pot in the background!!

All the best,
Des.

. . .

I have the comp sussed (I think) so onwards with a bit of colour and tone . . .
The post is one of my field posts - quite handy, really!

Attachments

• crowpos8t.jpg
    crowpos8t.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 97
Damned good so far, interesting how you work this way, slowly filling in as you go. I might have to try that method, rather than manically splashing paint all over. really like how the lichen on the post both stands out and clings on so naturally.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back