• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

(no, fine as it is, now sign it Liljefors and sell it for ten times as much - nobody would notice!(Though I actually think your work is a lot better as you see the living things and draw them rather than shoot them and string them out)

Agree absolutely with Nick!
Looking at this painting I feel the same thrill when looking at old masters artwork.
Masterclass!

Paschalis

The ups and downs of our wonderful hobby could perhaps be encapsulated in the space of one day. Just two days ago I had a call from a mate to tell me he'd seen this unfortunate short-eared owl - he thought it may be useful for reference (it took me a good ten minutes to untangle the mess of feathers and sinew from the barbed wire). Horrible way to go.
Then just yesterday I was walking the dog in miserable grey rainy-freezing-mucky-rubbish we call weather and I caught sight of what I thought was a juv kitty, about 500 metres away, through the rain. When I got back to the house I thought I'd check it out from the pier (unusual for a kitty this time of year) - I'm soooo pleased I took second look. This tiny snowflake of a bird spent all afternoon drifting up and down the waterfront. I made a couple of drawings and took a few even worse snaps for the record (didn't have one in Orney at all last year). Super little thing, more akin to a marsh tern than a gull, really - it spent ages picking through bits of flotsam for food items, barely touching the water with its paddling feet and then would sit quietly on the water about 10 yards from my vantage point.
Totally thrilling grey mucky day!

Attachments

• owlsad.jpg
    owlsad.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 84
  • book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 85
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The harriers move on a tad today. I'm looking to have this done by the end of the weekend.

Attachments

• harrier1.jpg
    harrier1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 54
  • harrier2.jpg
    harrier2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 71
  • harrier3.jpg
    harrier3.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 89
Three things here, firstly, terrible to see such a fine bird come to it's end in this manner, a real shame...
Harriers coming on nicely, will wait kenly on the updates od this piece as they come.
Finally, what cracking fieldwork, stunning Little Gull 1st Winter, great find, instantly ID'd by a glance at the sketches, which is all the praise they need. Perhaps a Ross's Gull will oblige you by the end of the winter;)
Not to overlook the Eider pencils BTW, also wonderful, wonderful studies.

Nice to see you are getting some birds. Was out today here in sub zero temps, birds are now very hard to find away from feeding stations! Saw nothing of note and got nothing down on paper, this lot here makes up for it somewhat though, brilliant work...

shame about the owl. Ah Little Gull, one of the prettiest birds there is, wonderful to see this one skipping over the page. Harriers coming along nicely too, looking forward to the end result

Cheers for the comments - glad the little gull meets with approval. It was a very distinctive little mover and it's not a bird I see very often at all. Ross's would be rather splendid Alan - it's one of the species being tipped as Orkney's next First (be nice to be the one to stumble across it ;) ).

Adding a bit of texture and colour to the landscape. Also making a few adjustments to the distant landscape, reducing the hill-height and adding more space above.

Attachments

• harrier4.jpg
    harrier4.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 105
Sad to see sights like the seo tangled in the wire, the world can be that way sometimes.

These harriers are beginning to look delightful, I think the decision to lower the horizon was undoubtedly the right one as it gives a better impression of the openess of the territory that the harriers like. It seems to be another painting of atmosphere from you and I reckon it's a great direction to head.

Mike

Having had to suffer the agony of watching Liverpool (brilliantly, it has to be said) come back twice against a valiant Pompey last night I'l have to give my fullest attention to the match this afternoon.
I've therefore called a halt to this harrier piece,
"Harriers and Peat Cuttings,Queefliglamo, Evie" - acrylics on canvas, 30"x24"

Attachments

• harrierlast.jpg
    harrierlast.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 100
Another lovely scene here Tim, both a superb bird study within a great landscape....

Nice win for United too, really enjoyed the game, bring on fulham...;)

Another winner Tim. I said earlier that I reckon you're getting more and more atmosphere into your work and it's transporting me right into the heart of the painting and evoking an emotional response which is what, I think, we all want from our work.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back