• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gamekeeper prosecuted (1 Viewer)

This is something that is probably going to get worse than better, it is obvious that much farmland is no longer used for agriculture, often farmers are living on subsidies not to farm their land (and in a lot of cases making a good living out of it), however "leisure" activities are a way to make even more money from the likes of the well heeled "field sports set", where the landowner will get the best of both worlds, lots of money for doing nothing and then more money for non agricultural activities. So the temptation is there for the greedy individuals who do not have positive feelings towards wildlife.

If most of us on this forumn committed illegal acts during the course of our "work" I suspect we would be sacked[I certainly would]. Have any of these Gamekeepers been disciplined by their employer for their illegal activities ?

Phil

now that's not going to happen unless they have another job lined up somewhere else for them. also if you committed an illegal act which involved emmission of banned substances into the environment, then your employed would face considerable fines into the bargain.

The problem wont go away as there is way too much money involved for the shoot owner's so a blind eye is a must
wonder how much a season costs ? if thats the right term or do you pay per bird

I would recommend that all conservation-minded individuals who are also members of the National Trust, write a letter of complaint to their chairman Mr Simon Jenkins, Heelis, Kemble Drive, Swindon SN2 2NA. I shall be revoking my direct debit for family membership if I don't get a satisfactory answer because if I had my way, I would like to have seen the landowner receive a hefty fine as well in these situations.

And I don't buy in these cases, that the killing of predators species is to conserve wildlife - not where it supports revenue for the estates in question and supports a mindless pass-time to the mindless individuals who take fun out of killing. And before the Duke responds, I'm not a bunny-hugger !!

Adam - try a Canon DSLR to capture the bird in flight. So much better because then the next person who might like to enjoy the few remaining Woodcock or Snipe breeding in some parts of our country, can do so. I'm sure you don't need to shoot to survive Adam - try Sainsburys.

It's worked for me

I have got rid of most if not all the references to guns and shooting Off this thread.

Usual suspects take note this is your last warning.

I am sure I am going to get into trouble for this and don't know if I class as a "usual suspect" but I have a question or two.

1. Steve you don't (on my screen at least seem to be any thing other than a registered user) if this is the case how/why have you removed some of my posts?

2. What gives you the right to remove posts?

3. Can any registered user remove any posts they don't happen to like?

4. If Steve can why can't anybody?

I am sure I am going to get into trouble for this and don't know if I class as a "usual suspect" but I have a question or two.

1. Steve you don't (on my screen at least seem to be any thing other than a registered user) if this is the case how/why have you removed some of my posts?

Only staff can remove posts, i.e. admin or moderators.
regards,
Andy

Only staff can remove posts, i.e. admin or moderators.
regards,
Andy

Thanks Andy that is what I would expect but Steve doesn't show as an admin or moderator and yet says "I have got rid of".

I am assuming that he requested the removal via an admin or moderator, but why? I assume the posts hadn't been against the rules or an admin/mod would have removed them earlier.

Are the rules made up as things go along? I am comparatively new to this forum but have been on many forums for many subject for a long time before this and have never come across a situation like this. It appears to me that an ordinary registered user has decided he dislikes many parts of a thread (which appear to have not attracted the attention of a moderator) and unilaterally has them removed.

Sorry but I can't get my head round what appears to be a singularly unfair situation. I am also puzzled as to how he joined the forum in 1970 I didn't know the 'net existed then.

All reasonable questions that need an answer. my comments at least were "on topic" . I can live without Birdforumn, and Steve I have flagged your post up to the moderators so hopefully an explanation soon.

Phil

I deleted the posts and those with quotes in them that referred to hunting and shooting, the thread was about a gamekeeper being fined but as usual the usual pro hunting mob hi jacked the thread and it went way off topic, I responded to some complaints and as I said I deleted some post's. I will continue to delete posts as will the moderators that end up discussing the pros and cons of hunting, some discussion does get through in the optics forums but is moderated when we get to the detail of how the Deer, pig, bird etc cops the bullet.

You want to discuss hunting no problem go to a hunting forum.

Ta
Steve

I deleted the posts and those with quotes in them that referred to hunting and shooting, the thread was about a gamekeeper being fined but as usual the usual pro hunting mob hi jacked the thread and it went way off topic, I responded to some complaints and as I said I deleted some post's. I will continue to delete posts as will the moderators that end up discussing the pros and cons of hunting, some discussion does get through in the optics forums but is moderated when we get to the detail of how the Deer, pig, bird etc cops the bullet.

You want to discuss hunting no problem go to a hunting forum.

Ta
Steve

I don't want to discuss hunting BUT I did want to understand how a person not shown as an Admin/Mod who appeared on my screen as having 71 posts and joined the forum before the Internet existed managed to delete my posts.

I understand admins deleting and mods deleting BUT this appeared to be neither.

I couldn't find any rules to show that any rule had been broken and so the whole thing seemed a little strange and not what I had come across on other forums. I didn't consider I was being unreasonable asking why my posts had been deleted when I couldn't find a rule which I had broken.

Now I see there are some rules I will try to abide by them.

Mr Cumbrian,I have deleted your latest reference to shooting,I don't think anyone said you were being unreasonable,I am also happy you understand how a person with a name shown in blue and a tongue in cheek join date managed to delete some post's ,I am relieved you understand the situation re hunting shooting on a wild bird forum, we can now hopefully move on.

Steve

As one of those who had a number of posts removed from this thread, I must apologize to all and will be more careful in the future. I do in retrospect think that the actions taken were correct and fair. I would just add that birdforum is great for someone like my self in far of NZ and have helped me with a number of things on many occasions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back