• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden (Yard) List 2012 (1 Viewer)

June begins with heavy rain and cool temperatures ...yuk. Still, confined to my Vilnius garden, still nice odds and edns - chatter of Icterine Warblers in the pines at the end, oodles of Tree Sparrow fledglings all over the place.

Not updated for a while from Vilnius, most notables inthe last week were a roding Woodcock two nights back, singing Serin and a Common Rosefinch today. Magpie also good, only see two or three per year in my garden.

53. Woodcock
54. Cuckoo
55. Swift
56. Swallow
57. Icterine Warbler
58. Garden Warbler
59. Magpie
60. Serin
61. Common Rosefinch

62. Southern red billed hornbill. Really exciting, as normally we just get the grey ones, we are smack on the edge of his range.

Oops, my husband reminded me of a few I'd forgotten about.
62. Greater flamingo (flew over)
63. Red chested cuckoo (heard incessantly all summer, but not seen)
64. African pied wagtail
65. African black duck
66. Blacksmith plover
And just now, an excellent sighing of 67. Jackal buzzard being mobbed by pied crows.

Oops, my husband reminded me of a few I'd forgotten about.
62. Greater flamingo (flew over)
63. Red chested cuckoo (heard incessantly all summer, but not seen)
64. African pied wagtail
65. African black duck
66. Blacksmith plover
And just now, an excellent sighing of 67. Jackal buzzard being mobbed by pied crows.
I think you've said 62 twice so in fact you're on 68.

Labanoras.

Summer lull beginning to kick in, a last trickle of migrants arriving, but otherwise a case of scanning the skies for wandering visitors from the neighbouring areas. With Quail wet-my-lips from the meadow, was just about the last of my regular breeders to arrive, but a most fine Black Kite was also very welcome. Breeds some years, irregular in others, I failed to see one last year on my land, so a good one to get.

Other new for the year - fly-over Cormorant and fly-over Stock Dove, both expected birds. More generally good numbers of Golden Orioles, Icterine Warblers and Common Rosefinch this year, Whinchats seem to be quite the opposite.

107. Cormorant
108. Quail
109. Black Kite
110. Stock Dove

Endless unseasonal rainy weather has suddenly been replaced by glorious seasonal sunny weather. I searched the skies unsuccessfully for Whistling Kite, White-bellied Sea Eagle and other raptors on my day off, but did get at least twenty birds moving in a flock along the mountain ridge to the north which could only have been Topknot Pigeon.

Forgot to post earlier as my evening has been hectic!

89) Topknot Pigeon.

Don't forget a lot of the gardens are in areas of higher bird species diversity (eg abroad ;) ), by the coast, with far-reaching views or of substantial size ...

Thanks! I think that makes me feel a little better...!

As rather a beginner, I think I miss some species, and know for sure I don't identify everything that flies over, but being based in a new-ish housing estate with few trees or mature bushes or hedges (and having a cat) probably does not help. My "edge of the estate" list is 14 species more, so I shouldn't complain, I guess!

Now is the time of year for altitudinal migrants to start showing in Cairns. The Topknot Pigeons of the other day kicked things off. Today was the turn of six Yellow-eyed Cuckoo Shrikes which I saw fly out of a tree at the end of Woodward Street and towards my place. I ran back around to my street and eventually relocated them by their calls in the Big Fig opposite my apartment.

If they're here so may the Fruit Doves be, and I still need Superb and Wompoo Fruit Doves for this year. They weren't around today despite a search but it's only a matter of time...

Also had a couple more Leaden Flycatchers today.

90) Yellow-eyed Cuckoo Shrike.

Last edited:
ho hum... was feeling all pleased with myself ... reached 30 on my garden list as there were a couple of swifts among the house martins and sand martins over the garden last night... but feel a bit embarrassed now!! It seems many of you have a better garden list than my entire year list, which includes several countries!!

Woohoo! 31!

One of the yellowhammers I have seen in the fields on the edge of the estate where I live decided to sing from a neighbours tree yesterday evening :)

Just returned from overnight camping at beautiful Etty Bay about an hour South of Cairns (had a Cassowary on the beach); had a White-bellied Sea Eagle (at long last) over the apartment as we were waiting for our friend to pick us up yesterday.

91) White-bellied Sea Eagle.

Thought I heard one yesterday!...couldn't find it..thus put it in the ''delete bin''... However today I heard heard it again..a eureka moment!..first for several years, no.63.

Attachments

• House Sparrow..1st for several years..June 12th '12.jpg
    House Sparrow..1st for several years..June 12th '12.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
Would be a eureka moment for me too, scan my Tree Sparrow flocks daily, but still have just two records ever in my Vilnius garden

Jos It's good to know...that we can share the ''Passer domesticus moment''...perhaps they don't like Hawfinches.. ;)...and as for montanus..well I can but dream....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back