• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (7 Viewers)

Certainly unexpected...this am, a Garden life tick!
Heard the soft “crick” of the crow, looked up to see Corvid peeling off to the North...and a Short-eared Owl going South!....still gob-smacked :eek!: No.79.

You've got real HC-stuff guys (and girls)! :t:

But so do I... a garden lifer.

#70. Eagle Owl - heard only. I'm pretty sure where it sat hooting, because I've seen it in one mobile pylon a few times, about one kilometer from our garden. This was also my first owl from our garden. B :)

You needed Corncrake and got it in your garden!!?

Wow, Dan!

Two garden year ticks for me today - when was the last one? - first 4 Whooper Swans over, then a Red Kite - had to dash back home for the kite - but made it in time!

= 66

Crazy! Was going to nominate for 'Bird of the Month' (Do we even do that anymore?!) - think still up there I hope, although Eagle Owl would be a contender, depending on local rarity value!

Good to see you are taking this all more seriously than that PaulChapman guy ... :-O

Crazy! Was going to nominate for 'Bird of the Month' (Do we even do that anymore?!) - think still up there I hope, although Eagle Owl would be a contender, depending on local rarity value!

Good to see you are taking this all more seriously than that PaulChapman guy ... :-O

Yeh, Paul seems a bit of a ‘low lister’ to me;)

.................as far as Garden listing goes anyway.

Please don't answer Paul. Don't think we should be made privy to that information.

Living near Looe as you do I expected you to show solidsdarity(!) with him Dan.

Still seeing Clouded Yellow and Red Admiral here, a few more Brambling and Siskin but not gone wintry just yet.

If that was the case, at my age, I would be spending longer in the garden and my garden list would be higher..........

I think that the average carload of twitchers stops every 150 miles these days as our age increases. I remember Aberdeen ferry terminal to Lymington ferry terminal in 1990 with one petrol stop on a Bank Holiday Monday. That would be impossible now.

All the best

If that was the case, at my age, I would be spending longer in the garden and my garden list would be higher..........

I think that the average carload of twitchers stops every 150 miles these days as our age increases. I remember Aberdeen ferry terminal to Lymington ferry terminal in 1990 with one petrol stop on a Bank Holiday Monday. That would be impossible now.

All the best

Crikey, I thought we did well going from Minsmere to Dungeness non-stop when the Audouin's Gull turned up (comfort stops were forgotten as I concentrated on spotting police cars and speed cameras)!
Anyway, getting away from the toilet theme and back to birds, I was feeling flushed with success (sorry) after seeing my first Merlin of the year at the migration watchpoint by the Rhône on Tuesday (see photo), they are obviously like London buses as one passed by the house yesterday, a Garden life tick:t:. It was followed an hour later by a Skylark, I thought I had seen one here before but no, another new one for the garden list!
This morning a Meadow Pipit passed, so things are beginning to move...

82 Merlin
83 Skylark
84 Meadow Pipit

So after zero additions in September I have added four for the year this month |=)|

Attachments

• F. emir 23.10.18.jpg
    F. emir 23.10.18.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 17
Nice stuff elsewhere, especially the Corncrake and Eagle Owl (fortunately both on my plot list, but not this year).

Meanwhile, on the eastern front, additions in the form of one Woodcock flushed (still the toilet theme!) and 13 overhead Cormorants. Other notables, 13 Whooper Swans over, and plenty of woodpeckers back in preparation for winter (Black, three Grey-headed, White-backed, Great Spot, Middle Spot).

113. Woodcock
114. Cormorant

Enforced garden watching due to my car being out of action - with an enormous repair bill coming up for its automatic gearbox - at least produced something to cheer me up

79 Crossbill - four heading north

Steve

Last edited:
Enforced garden watching due to my car being out of action - with an enormous repair bill coming up for its automatic gearbox - at least produced something to cheer me up

79 Crossbill - four heading north

Steve

The only ''crossbill'' I've had this year, was one on the doormat showing me ''sightly'' overhanging a grid-box in the road!

However on the theme of London Buses...my 2nd turned up eight days after my 1st. at 12.16pm. a second Short-eared Owl drifting past (wind assisted from the North), perhaps they're going to replace Hawfinches this year. :eek!:

On a bit of a roll! (if memory serves my 3rd record in 35 years) of what I initially thought with naked eye to be a distant flock of Jackdaw heading North, upon raising bins....c40 Lapwings!! no.80.

To add amidst a definite movement of Finches, Thrushes and Starlings...another 3rd or 4th grdn. record....flyover Golden Plover no.81. :)

Last edited:
Back after a few weeks in Indonesia, a short seawatch this afternoon did not find the hoped for Little Auk, but did get two other year birds.

102. Long-tailed Duck
103. Pomarine Skua

I need Pomarine Skua foe a county tick never mind a garden one.

But got lucky again today...…..

80 Teal - tight flock of 15 shot south early this morning.

Only my 4th duck species ever after Mallard, Goosander and Mandarin.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back