• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (10 Viewers)

Only the one addition this past couple of weeks:

42) grey wagtail

Nocmig has started picking up and if I wasn't so lazy and just stayed awake in the garden all night I could have added:

i) moorhen
ii) Canada goose
iii) avocet
iv) teal
v) little grebe
What kind of mic you use?

Finally checking in from the Sonoran Desert here. It's been a busy start to the year, but not in terms of birding. I haven't been officially tracking additions since the year began, although nothing really exciting stopped by during January. I just got out for a bit a few days ago, starting my official 2023 list. I've been expecting one and this is the right time of year to catch it, but I was still really glad to add a charismatic raptor species to the all-time list!

1. Gambel's Quail
2. Eurasian Collared-Dove
3. Inca Dove
4. Mourning Dove
5. Gila Woodpecker
6. Gilded Flicker
7. Crested Caracara (new yard species #146)
8. American Kestrel
9. Say's Phoebe
10. Cactus Wren
11. European Starling
12. Curve-billed Thrasher
13. House Sparrow
14. House Finch
15. Lesser Goldfinch
16. White-crowned Sparrow
17. Great-tailed Grackle
18. Great Horned Owl (pair duetting)

Last edited:
Almost two weeks ago now, we finally had the opportunity to spend some time at out place in France again. We arrived late Wednesday the 14th, as by usual, after dark. Nobody had the opportunity to visit since we had left January 2nd, so it was of utmost importance to fill up the feeders on Thursday morning. I did however clearly not have my priorities straight and started preparing some coffee before heading to the shed to get the buckets with food out. I also brought an additional feeder, for crushed peanuts. I hoped the peanuts would entice some of the rather elusive Goldfinches and maybe the even more rare Bullfinch, but by now I know I would be disappointed.

Talking about the finch family, in January I had been disappointed due to the absence of all the regular finches with the exception of Chaffinches. No disappointment there fortunately, within ten minutes both (32) Greenfinches and (33) Hawfinches showed up. The show was stolen, however, by the (34) Wood Larks who absolutely dominated the dawn chorus every morning of our brief stay! (My wife lacked enthusiasm, since the Larks started pretty early. Curiously, they didn’t bother my son – he only woke up when the Nuthatches announced their presence about two hours later).

I had planned to go to our pond area pretty early, hoping to see some water birds. For one species this would not be necessary, still at the upper part of the property I saw five (35) Grey Herons flying over. I had never realized before that they might move in flocks, they were flying low, so it looked impressively elegant. I headed down regardless and was rewarded by seeing a pair of (36) Mallards. There were also some (37) Dunnocks in one of the hedgerows.
In January, I had seen all resident woodpecker species except for the smallest one, this time I didn’t see the big Black Woodpeckers, but was very happy to see a (38) Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Last year at least one pair bred close to our place, so I hope they will stay around this year as well.

The final addition for the morning (and the day) was a (39) Blackcap, which was sitting in a miserable looking plum tree which got added to the list of trees that needs to be pruned next time we come to France. This time around, we spend the three days for maintenance of the pond area (about 5 hectares). One of the hedgerows had basically fallen over, and needed severe cutting back as well as some stakes stop it from happening again any time soon.

We spend quite a bit of time cutting some of the trees that grew on the edge of the upper pond. These Charm (I think Hornbeam in English, but not sure) extend their branches in the water, and will even try to root in the mud. This provides great habitat, but they will take over the pond if left alone. It also competes with the reeds, suppressing other nice habitat. We cleared away the branches in the water from about 2/3 of them at the upper pond and left the lower pond alone.

A lot of time was also spent clearing out some hazel shrubs and hawthorn that had fully overgrown a path. A large hawtorn in the hedgerow behind out beehives had split in halve. Not sure whether the half still standing will survive, but we spent some time cleaning up the broken of part. In the past we used to make a burn pile, but we decided to make a dead hedge. Within an hour it was claimed by both a Robin and a Wrenn. :ROFLMAO:

Friday morning brought the year’s first (and second, and third….) (40) Wood-Pigeon, and a very brief visit of a (41) Siskin. I spend quite some time looking at the feeders which were busily visited by different Tits, Chaffinches a Robin and the very territorial Nuthatches, but no new finch species. Most of the time, there were some noisy Starlings sitting in the upper branches of the abundant oak trees in the wooded area of our property. At some point I was quite sure to hear a Buzzard, but for the life of me couldn’ find it…. After a while I realized that Starling are very good a mimicking; I guess I was lucky they didn't get my hopes up for some rare species.

The rest of the day was marked by a lot of chainsaw noise for some of the abovementioned work, no new bird observations made for obvious reasons.

On Saturday time was found to bring a lot of junk to the junk-yard. I volunteered to stay behind with my binoculars and observe the birds. Some comments were made about slacking and not pulling ones weight, but I am happy to report that I managed to ignore these quips gracefully!

I was dully rewarded by a (42) Collared-Dove, and a (43) Coal Tit, which had joined the flock of over forty Tits now visiting the feeders. While it hung around for a bit, I actually never saw the Coal Tit on one of the feeders though. I also noticed some (44) Jackdaws in the back of one of the fields. While looking at them, I noticed a smaller bird with some read on its head in the grass. Though I manged to focus on it only for a second or two, I st least had the first (45) Goldfinch of the year. It stayed basically as far away from the feeders as possible though.

Since we were doing a red theme, I also spotted two (46) Redwing – a rare occurrence, these days! While cooking, I noticed a drab-yellowish bird at the peanut feeders, never saw a (47) Serin at my feeders before, so happy that I brought the crushed peanuts after all.

On Sunday morning I made a last stroll around the property, and was rewarded by a familiar sound which tends to be much more prominent in late spring -- (48) Cirl Bunting. I am sure there will be many more around when we get back over Easter.

Some great birds there Frank!
Think you must have some of my Chaffinches, praps a couple of dozen for me this year, when I would normally expect up to c150.
Have yet to see LSWood and I’m not holding my breath for Hawfinch either, however Redwings haven’t let me down…here in good numbers.👍

Attachments

• DSC00471.jpeg    Rdwng.underwing.jpeg
    DSC00471.jpeg Rdwng.underwing.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC00633.jpeg   Rdwng.in sun2..jpeg
    DSC00633.jpeg Rdwng.in sun2..jpeg
    235.2 KB · Views: 4
Finally checking in from the Sonoran Desert here. It's been a busy start to the year, but not in terms of birding. I haven't been officially tracking additions since the year began, although nothing really exciting stopped by during January. I just got out for a bit a few days ago, starting my official 2023 list. I've been expecting one and this is the right time of year to catch it, but I was still really glad to add a charismatic raptor species to the all-time list!

1. Gambel's Quail
2. Eurasian Collared-Dove
3. Inca Dove
4. Mourning Dove
5. Gila Woodpecker
6. Gilded Flicker
7. Crested Caracara (new yard species #146)
8. American Kestrel
9. Say's Phoebe
10. Cactus Wren
11. European Starling
12. Curve-billed Thrasher
13. House Sparrow
14. House Finch
15. Lesser Goldfinch
16. White-crowned Sparrow
17. Great-tailed Grackle
18. Great Horned Owl (pair duetting)
You’re living in the past BM, it’s 2024 already!

One day when I get my act together and get my yard cleaned up, I'll spend more (any) time birding out there. In the meantime, I've focused on a 2-mile radius patch encircling my house, including several parks I patrol for work, with recent additions of eastern screech owl and American woodcock(!) while walking the trails at dusk.
The lone species I've taken the time to report from home is my local partially leucistic red-tailed hawk.20231210_085044.jpg

Well, this morning the beautiful gurgled whistles of a

19. Western Meadowlark

woke me up, clearly trying to remind me that it's 2024 :D Unfortunately, as soon as I went to record it, the singing stopped. Meadowlarks are all over the farmland here in October through April, but only the spring and fall months see migrants passing through the desert.

Today I volunteered (apparently:oops: ) to mind the two dogs who lodged with us for five weeks over Christmas/New Year so took them on a punishing (for me at least, they seemed to enjoy it......) two and a half hour yomp up through the forests above our place. The ungrateful curs didn't find a single Hazel Hen or Pygmy Owl , but the whole walk was done to a joyous accompaniment of Song Thrush song, they really have arrived in force this week. As we finally exited the forest I saw a Grey Heron land in a distant field that I reckoned would be visible from home. The field was, but the Heron wasn't, luckily I heard it call though as it must have been flying out of sight down in the valley. So on the list it can go!

51 Grey Heron

I'm well ahead of the game for once, 48 was the highest ever total after two months previous to this year. Interestingly only four species were seen in January and not this month (Black Redstart, Willow Tit, Grey Wagtail and Lesser Redpoll, the first three will no doubt show again during the year but the redpoll is a good one to have 'in the bank'. Time to scan down the valley for the first Kestrel..................

Always good luck when I post on here. I pulled into my driveway this morning and was greeted by an adult sharp-shinned hawk perched in my backyard. Somewhat uncommon in my area, but always an ID challenge with Cooper's hawk for me unless I get great looks, as I did today. #62 all-time for the yard!

Lakes all still frozen, but distinctively spring now - plenty of Cranes yodelling left, right and centre, two-a-penny Skylarks and ever increasing numbers of Starlings. Many a year none of these would have returned by this point.

And with the early spring, yet more firsts of the year - five Cormorants over, the first two Grey Herons doing a flypast near the heronry, a flock of Linnets and, highlight of the day for me, one Tree Sparrow chirping and checking out nestboxes by my house - breeds in nearby farms, but never had a breeding record on my land yet.

44. Cormorant
45. Grey Heron
46. Tree Sparrow
47. Linnet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back