• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (2 Viewers)

Little to report from recent days - continuing records for Pheasant and Green Woodpecker, another Willow Warbler, Oystercatcher and Lapwing a few Swallows and a couple of Linnets were the standouts.

Braved the cold and got out early this morning, and was rewarded with my first Spring record of #71 Yellow Wagtail. My first for 4 years, just 3 previous records - all between 27th Aug & 12th Sep, a fairly narrow window.

Checked out a nearby wetland, freezing, so quickly came back and went round the garden again.

A #72 Swift scooted East and shortly thereafter I spotted my first April record of Marsh Harrier, between the trees and getting grief from a Corvid. I had high hopes of it coming out the other side and getting a reasonable phone shot, but it never appeared!

My Merlin App was in overdrive today with Stone Curlew, Redwing and Mistle Thrush - all of which were Blackbird in reality!

With Yellow Wagtail and Marsh Harrier it brings the cumulative April total up to 89 species, my best month of the year. 6 days to go, maybe I can get to 90?

My Merlin App was in overdrive today with Stone Curlew, Redwing and Mistle Thrush - all of which were Blackbird in reality!
I am amazed how many people regard Merlin as reliable - everytime I experiment with it something very,very unlikely comes up. The most recent was it claiming Common Sandpiper every few minutes one morning - in my garden well away from anywhere one would be. It was a Blue Tit.

Anyway.....

April 24th
63. Swallow
- one flew north into a rather unwelcoming northerly breeze.

That's all three hirundines on the list, but no Swift yet, nor any other undisputed spring migrants. Nevertheless, I didn't get to #63 until June 21st last year.

I am amazed how many people regard Merlin as reliable - everytime I experiment with it something very,very unlikely comes up. The most recent was it claiming Common Sandpiper every few minutes one morning - in my garden well away from anywhere one would be. It was a Blue Tit.

Anyway.....

April 24th
63. Swallow

That's all three hirundines on the list, but no Swift yet, nor any other undisputed spring migrants. Nevertheless, I didn't get to #63 until June 21st last year.
I'm with you on Merlin. All it does is encourage the fantasists among the newbie birders. People need to buckle down to using field guides and learning calls: there may be short-cuts in the future but there aren't at the moment.

John

Anyway.....

April 24th
63. Swallow

It is reliable - over 90%+ accuracy for me - but it is not infallible. Artifical Intelligence Apps are an aid and a learning tool. Not a substitute.

All the best

Paul

It is reliable - over 90%+ accuracy for me - but it is not infallible. Artifical Intelligence Apps are an aid and a learning tool. Not a substitute.

All the best

Paul
I agree, I test it a few times a week on average and it rarely gets anything wrong (herring vs yl gull still an issue ;-)) but the old problems of chaffinch vs redstart call etc seem to have been ironed out

All the best

Paul
I reckon that’s about right. Another limitation is probably down to hardware rather than software. It often doesn’t hear things that I can hear (never the other way around).

I like to use it in the garden just in case I get to hear something but am not quick enough to fire off a shot with the phone.

I also enjoy it when I hear something slightly unexpected and look down to see I was right :)

It is reliable - over 90%+ accuracy for me - but it is not infallible.
Maybe it depends where ... repeatedly testing it on my land, I find it frequently misidentifies about 20-30% of calls, and further simply misses another 10-30% (usually far away birds than I can still do, but it's not picking up, but occasionally closer ones too).

Maybe it depends where ... repeatedly testing it on my land, I find it frequently misidentifies about 20-30% of calls, and further simply misses another 10-30% (usually far away birds than I can still do, but it's not picking up, but occasionally closer ones too).

It misses quite a bit but I only have it on my phone without any separate microphone.

Maybe the settings or packs or indeed possibly the dialects play a part. Eastern European chaffinches always sound funny to me. Especially when they do a Great Spotted Woodpecker call. I have never really understood the influence of location on its identifications. I think it plays a probability game on occasions and it must be affected by the locations of the recordings on its database.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
It misses quite a bit but I only have it on my phone without any separate microphone.

Maybe the settings or packs or indeed possibly the dialects play a part. Eastern European chaffinches always sound funny to me. Especially when they do a Great Spotted Woodpecker call. I have never really understood the influence of location on its identifications. I think it plays a probability game on occasions and it must be affected by the locations of the recordings on its database.

All the best

Paul
It does okay on Chaffinches, but a variety of others it mixes, including calling my Whooper Swans as Cranes last week.

It is definitely affected by locations as it will also label calls as rare/semi-rare for your location/date...and +/- it seems to get that correct. Also, if you turn off your GPS, so it has no idea where you are, then immediately lots of weird identifications - Swanson's Thursh in my forest last week 🙂 But to be fair, it also gave a warning message along the lines of 'your location can not be determined, so accuracy of identification can be lower'

All the best

Paul
Or to look at that from the other perspective, one in ten of its guesses will be wrong, even of the birds it can hear - which may or may not be what you are listening to. That's far too high for a marketed product, I hope nobody is paying for this.

There's a webcam in Finland (Nuuksio) which gives guesses of calls with the associated probabilities - so sometimes it will have a list of four with descending likelihood - is that likely to be Merlin-based? I've heard it mistake a barking dog for a Hooded Crow.

John

Or to look at that from the other perspective, one in ten of its guesses will be wrong, even of the birds it can hear - which may or may not be what you are listening to. That's far too high for a marketed product, I hope nobody is paying for this.

There's a webcam in Finland (Nuuksio) which gives guesses of calls with the associated probabilities - so sometimes it will have a list of four with descending likelihood - is that likely to be Merlin-based? I've heard it mistake a barking dog for a Hooded Crow.

John
Do you mean this?
It´s based birdnet.cornell.edu

Last few days had been cold and rainy. Luckily the snow has melted away. And some nice birds has made a flyover.

Monday:
#42. Barnacle Goose - and after that I have seen this pair every day

Tuesday:
#43. Lesser Black-backed Gull - this has been present also every day now

Wednesday:
#44. Osprey - this was the Gardenlifer... and I've not seen an other since yesterday 😁

Last few days had been cold and rainy. Luckily the snow has melted away. And some nice birds has made a flyover.

Monday:
#42. Barnacle Goose - and after that I have seen this pair every day

Tuesday:
#43. Lesser Black-backed Gull - this has been present also every day now

Wednesday:
#44. Osprey - this was the Gardenlifer... and I've not seen an other since yesterday 😁
Hahaha.
Ooh excellent, I hope to see an Osprey here one day, geese or gulls much less likely though!
Snow here again overnight and frosty first thing, but it may be warming up tomorrow, hope so as I’ve run out of bird food to provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back