• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great or lesser black-backed gull? (1 Viewer)

gkamov

Yeah, birds.
Bulgaria
Hi there,

A couple of days ago I observed two gulls on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. There have been reports of an active migration of lesser black-backed gull, but this one on the video seemed larger than the usual herring / yellow-legged gull as it flew pretty close to where I was standing.

I couldn't snap good photos, so I only have a video clip (YouTube link). Is there a way to tell if it's a lesser or a great one?

Thanks!

Last edited:
could you please also post some photos, even if they are bad? this doesn't look like a GBBG, but could be a heuglin's gull. sadly, not confirmable from this video, i guess. it's a bit early for heuglini, maybe.

could you please also post some photos, even if they are bad? this doesn't look like a GBBG, but could be a heuglin's gull. sadly, not confirmable from this video, i guess. it's a bit early for heuglini, maybe.

The best I could do is combine screenshots from the video where key markings might be seen... or not :)

Attachments

• 123 2.jpg
    123 2.jpg
    854.2 KB · Views: 59
was it paler mantled than a baltic gull? can't exclude that one either. and it would be the default black mantled gull in bulgaria with a present strong migration along coast.

Don’t think so - the top of the wings seemed pretty dark. Other birders have reported lesser black-backs in the last week or two here, so it’s most probably that one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back