• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Listing 2023 - Joint Thread (3 Viewers)

It isn't an addition to the world list, though - already seen on the other side of the Atlantic.
Yes, you're right. (I initially claimed it on the world list too, because a search for "black-and-white" on this page didn't return any hit -- but it was there, simply written "black and white", without the hyphens. Corrected now.)

Which sets me wondering if we have any cases of American birds which have only been reported on here from Europe, or vice versa?
Ring-necked Duck here, apparently ? (And Pec Sand, but this species can come from Asia as well.)

In a far less exhilirating event on a world scale, I added European Golden Plover to my green & patch year list.
I see them once a year on average, so quite pleased with that. I then cycled along the river/canal in the ever present albeit slim hope of a Yellow-browed Warbler. I now know that a Kingfisher can give a very similar call, haha!

After getting reasonably bored because of disappointing migration yesterday, I decided to cycle to the highest accessible slag heap instead (mostly through forest to avoid the wind).
I found the Ring Ouzel I was hoping for, although I only heard it.

Finally a nice day in the weekend, so I headed to the best area for Grey Partridge within cycling range: I found nine.
Otherwise it was quiet everywhere: even Redpolls were only at the Grey Partridge spot. On my way back I checked if it was realistic to cycle past a Great Northern Diver that had been found in the morning. An extra 23 km (most of it with headwind and including a rather unpleasant hill I had to climb twice), but luckily I found the diver.

Two weeks ago I tried to find a Common Scoter, but failed. Of course it was reported again the next day. As it was also seen on Boxing Day, I thought I'd give it another try. Another failure, but I did find a Great Northern Diver.
Too bad for the yearlist that I already twitched one four weeks ago, but it's the first one I've found locally. It's the ninth one for Northrhine-Westphalia this December, which must be a record.

(The Common Scoter was seen again today. It really must hate me!)

Last edited:
I've started a new thread and spreadsheet for 2024 -

Hopefully all works, mostly copied from the previous one with data cleared.

(I'll even take part properly this year hopefully!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back