• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greetings Everyone! Question for Canon 100x400 users (3 Viewers)

Thanks very much guys for useful feedback.

I will stick with it and gain more experience of the lens - trying different settings/methods etc and try and get more used to it. I am sure you are right that there is no major problem with the lens itself and it is mainly down to the learning curve.

If in a few months time things are getting no better I'll post some photos on here and seek further advice.

Thanks again!!

Be sure to use a tripod as part of your learning experience. Not all of us are as good a photographer as Mr Reeder who doesn't need one.

I agree that a bad copy of a lens is extremely rare. Most(all) of my bad shots are attibutable to me!

FWIW most "focus" problems come with thin DOF. The slightest back and forth of the camera can change a shot from great to soft in a nano second. Breathing can do this.

Last edited:
Welcome Nick and I hope you are able to figure out that lens! I also worried when I read similiar articles on the 100x400. Several of the comments advised not to buy a used one (or one dated back 3-5 years ago) so I opted for a new model. I've never really thought I had a bad lens...but rather a bad person behind the camera! ;)

My brother-in-law buys a lot of used lenses but I'm just too chicken to do it. If I knew what I was really looking for ... well...that might be a different story. I had the same issue when I was buying and trading firearms. You never know what you've got until you are on the range with it.

Great site Jessica and some lovely photographs.
Andrew
Thanks Andrew! Right back at you! I really enjoy visiting people's websites and seeing their work. You are fortunate to have the opportunity to find so many varieties of birds. I envy you! I would love to see the Kingfisher you have photos of ... so beautiful!

Totally off topic but I spent last night and this morning branching out to other areas of the forum.

After running a smaller, very tight knit forum for the last 11 years I feel a bit overwhelmed here. There's just so much information and so many people! I would think that making friends will be a difficult thing to do. :-C

Know what you mean, its a very busy and well populated site. Haven't got much further than the photo section apart from a few posts in the bird chat and ID section.

Think I will start by looking in the regionalised forums and might try posting a few pics for critique which should help meet some more people

Far too much to post everywhere and can't imagine one would want to. Reckon you have done pretty well already and certainly started a very informative post and well read post, can't be bad so don't worry you are doing fine by the looks of it

Canon 100 - 400 Thread

Hi all
Thank you for a very interesting exchange on this thread and some great shots.
I am currently using a Sigma 500mm with my 40D and was thinking of upgrading to the Canon 400 mm lense.
Does anyone use a tele-converter with the 100-400mm and if so what type?
It would be good if anyone could post some shots of the photos resulting from this combo.
Many thanks
Mick

With a Kenko Pro DG 300 1.4X....

Full frame and 100% crop wide open at 540mm (I just failed to zoom the lens all the way, by accident) from my 1D3 on a tripod.

Another shot, this time at 560mm, again with the 1D3 but hand held, moving target, through fencing, although not a bird. I hope that's OK.

I have never used the TC on my 7D.

Attachments

• 20100516_065841_7034_LR.jpg
    20100516_065841_7034_LR.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 94
  • 20100516_065841_7034_LR-2.jpg
    20100516_065841_7034_LR-2.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 20100402_095638_5476_LR.jpg
    20100402_095638_5476_LR.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 20100402_095638_5476_LR-2.jpg
    20100402_095638_5476_LR-2.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Mick,

I'd have a look at Keith Reeders website. One of very few people to make the 40D, 100-400 and 1.4x tc combination sing. Links just above your post

Most folk that have commented (myself included) have found that the 40D does not AF with a 1.4x on a 100-400mm, even with the pins taped.

Mine won't AF with either a Canon mk II 1.4x or a Kenko Pro DG.

There is a workaround of sorts - don't use the centre AF point - but honestly, it's more trouble than it's worth for the benefits you get: and I say this as someone who had a 1.4x permanently jammed between my 30D and 100-400mm.

As an aside, I might have been one of the very first people, way back in September 2007, to break the discovery that the 40D + 1.4x + 100-400mm was a non-starter, so my observations aren't simply based on "something I read on the internet..."

Some folk have had luck with the combo, and a completely non-reporting TC seems to improve the odds, but I really wouldn't recommend spending your hard-earned on the off-chance...

Keith et al:

I have posted 4 photos on a separate thread called "Newbie - advice please!"

One was taken with my Canon 100-400 L zoom (the sparrowhawk). The others were taken using my Sigma 150-500 zoom and my Canon 400mm prime.

Any help very gratefully received!!

cheers,
Nick

I've never really thought I had a bad lens...but rather a bad person behind the camera! ;)

I'm reminded of the time when I was into Match Air Rife shooting - a 1mm target at 12 meters. My friends (and I) were always buying new match air rifles (cost £1,000 +) in the hopes that it would improve our performance.

But, at the end of the day it was, as we used to say: "The nut behind the butt" ;)

Now that I'm just 5 months into DLSR bird photography, I'm realising that the same is true with photography as it is with air rifle shooting.

And reading this thread has convinced me to upgrade my Canon 70 - 300 lens to the 100 - 400 lens. I was considering both the Tamron 200 - 500 and the Sigma 150 - 500 lenses.

But I now think I'll stick to the Canon brand.

Thanks for all the useful info in this thread, folks.

Ian T
York, UK

Ian, you will love your new found "addiction" because that's what it becomes!! My Canon 100-400 is glued to me!!

Welcome to Bird Forum. You will love it here.

But, at the end of the day it was, as we used to say: "The nut behind the butt" ;)

You sound like me, except my choice of plinking was .22LR and 9mm. "Nut behind the butt" ... too funny!

So what are we called now? "Nut behind the lens" doesn't sound as good. :-O

This week's shots with the 100x400

3_3_11.jpg3_8_11.jpg

Great shots there. The snake is superb, the close up detail in the eye!!
Thanks! I couldn't believe he was out as cold as it was (55F). I realized he was really sluggish so I got down on the ground for some closer photos. I put my hand on the ground to push myself back up and almost put my hand on a second freakin' snake! Now that scared me! I thought maybe I landed myself in a snake bed. 3:)

So what are we called now? "Nut behind the lens" doesn't sound as good. :-O

How about "The Nutter behind the Shutter";):-O

Edit: Sorry to repeat what Tim just said I should have made sure I checked the last page before posting8-P;).

Last edited:
How about "The Nutter behind the Shutter";):-O

Edit: Sorry to repeat what Tim just said I should have made sure I checked the last page before posting8-P;).
You're forgiven. ;) I did wonder though..... 3:)

Sometimes I've started a reply having overlooked a whole page or two of replies. It does happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back