• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2023 (1 Viewer)

Our human boys then went of with our family to the Highland Wildlife Park leaving us with our four legged boy.

Off we went to Burghead. A beautiful day to visit. The wind was just bad enough to bring a few birds into the harbour. A beautiful female Long-tailed Duck was with a few Eider. Walking along the harbour and a few waders were sheltering - heaps of Redshanks, a few Purple Sandpipers and Turnstones, and a single Sanderling. A female Common Scoter also swam into the harbour. Looking over the harbour wall, and hoping not to cop a face full of sea water, a Black Throated Diver went past.

We weren’t long at Burghead but it was a stunning little collection of birds to see. Further along the Moray we had some Wigeon and Goldeneyes. Back to catch up with the family and pizzas from Anderson’s in Boat of Garten. Can thoroughly recommend if you’re in the area. And the dog has taken himself off to bed. 😂

Attachments

• 52178688_Unknown.jpeg
    52178688_Unknown.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 52178672_Unknown.jpeg
    52178672_Unknown.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 52178432_Unknown.jpeg
    52178432_Unknown.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • 52178528_Unknown.jpeg
    52178528_Unknown.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6
So the boys went sledging up Cairngorm today so I went out with my parents and the pup. Gave them free choice as to where we should go and they chose… Burghead. Ahh well. I love going there.

I did suggest Loch Spynnie first. A place I’d read about in Gordon’s book but had not visited. So off we set. The AWD in the Mazda was very effective in the light snow. A couple of Roe deer ran across us and a flock of Siskins flew over. We stopped off for fuel in Grantown and I happened to say Good Morning to the lady working there. She immediately started telling me how much she enjoyed visiting Wales and all the places she’d camped and was now hoping to go back to in her camper van. It appears I may have a slight accent😂

The track down to the track was frankly, a pure delight. The hedgerows were stuffed with birds. Fieldfares and Redwings in the fields. And heaps of Reed Buntings, Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrows in the hedgerows themselves. At the car park there was a good sized feeding station and plenty of common species were visiting along with more Tree Sparrows and Red Squirrels.

A short walk down to the hide and we arrived at the hide. I made sure with the birder/ photon the hide that he was ok with the dog and he was. A really friendly fella who lived locally. He said the American Wigeon was still around but it was usually in a bay out of sight. On the loch were good numbers of Goldeneye, Tufties, Goosander, Gadwall and Wigeon. A few more birders came and we then left as it was only a small hide. Later bumped into them again - a couple from Aberdeen and a fella from Shropshire. Again, all very friendly.

In the car park a tour group arrived and I updated them with what I’d been told about the American Wigeon. Whilst chatting to the tour leader a Sparrowhawk flashed through and he told me about a Slav they’d found on the way there. Wishing them luck we set off.

And fair enough it was exactly where he said. Really weird watching a Slavonian Grebe in what was effectively a larger puddle next to the A96. Cars whizzing past just a few metres away.

Next it was off to Burghead. Weather much calmer today so there was nothing in the harbour itself. Looking off the harbour wall though gave several Common Scoter, Eider, Shags, Long-tailed Ducks and another Slavonian Grebe. Decided to call it a day. Both parents enjoyed which was the main aim of the day.

One of the slight issues we are finding is the lack of daylight for birding. Fairly obvious I suppose but it would have been nice to finish off somewhere else today.

Attachments

• 52440976_Unknown.jpeg
    52440976_Unknown.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 8
  • 52441008_Unknown.jpeg
    52441008_Unknown.jpeg
    834.7 KB · Views: 8
So yesterday we stayed more local whilst my youngest went snowboarding up at Glenshee.

Headed into the village to pick my parents up and stopped to check out a small flock of birds at the top of a tree - Waxwings!!!! Knowing my parents really wanted to see these I went straight to their holiday cottage - approx. 100 metres away. They were both sound asleep when I arrived but they were soon out - my old man in his slippers 😂 It’s fair to say they were chuffed.

Next we headed to Loch Garten. Heaps of Coal Tits at the feeder and a couple of Goldeneye on Loch Garten and Loch Malachi. A few Siskins were also on the feeders by the bridge in Nethy.

Had a quiet afternoon in the cottage watching the birds in the garden. Mostly Chaffinches with a Treecreeper making an appearance. Tomorrow’s plans had changed as my 1 year old niece has a temperature. The West Coast will have to wait.

Attachments

• IMG_6474.jpeg
    IMG_6474.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 52441056_Unknown.jpeg
    52441056_Unknown.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 52441024_Unknown.jpeg
    52441024_Unknown.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 4
Good to hear - jealous of the waxwings - it's been ages for me! It's raining again here - the River Severn is becoming "exciting" (if you don't live there!)

Absolutely gorgeous day around the Moray area today with my family. Our plans changed and we set off a little later but the weather was beautiful. My 4 year old nephew enjoyed looking through the scope and bins and my 1 year old niece just made me laugh constantly.

We covered Loch Spynie, Burghead (again!) and an area near Allanfearn.

Only saw 60 species in total but we had great views of some real beauts. Including: Black Grouse, Tree Sparrows, Yellowhammers, Smew, Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Purple Sandpiper, Greater Scaup, Long-tailed Ducks, Slavonian Grebe, Goosander and Goldeneye.

A brilliant day. And in the sunshine the boy looked like he was glowing.

Attachments

• IMG_6485.jpeg
    IMG_6485.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Another enjoyable day today. This time over on the West Coast.

Weather wasn’t great for Eagles and we couldn’t find any. Stopped off at Beallach Na Ba. Given the weather you’d have needed crampons and an ice pick to get to the mast. Assuming you hadn’t been blown over the side of the mountain. I was wearing Adidas daps and had forgotten my coat. So no Ptarmigan this year😥

At the base of the road we did have good, if brief views of two Otters, and Red Deer were there in good? numbers. Applecross Bay had Common Seals, Shag, Eiider and Red-Breasted Mergansers. The coastal road around to Shieldaig had good numbers of Great Northern Divers and a couple of Black Throated Divers. I must admit my 16 year old has amazing eyesight and was picking these out as we were driving along.

Next it was off to the Bar and Coastal Kitchen in Shieldaig. A Tystie was surprisingly black in the bay. And the food was amazing. Still my favourite smoked salmon of all time. Really relaxed atmosphere in the place and they take dogs 👍

Back to the cottage now to watch my traditional New Year film - The Big Year👍

Attachments

• 52703312_Unknown.jpeg
    52703312_Unknown.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6496.jpeg
    IMG_6496.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6501.jpeg
    IMG_6501.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Can’t believe it was our last day today. Nipped out with the pup this morning and headed to Anagach Woods. Crested Tit near the feeders was nice. Next it was up the road to Tomintoul.

Thought I had my target bird straight away but it was silhouetted and then lost to view. Another birder then arrived (Mark from Kent and great company) and we spent approx 40 minutes looking and waiting. In the meantime another couple of birders arrived (from Crynant! And Norwich - again great company) and Mark refound the bird. A cracking Great Grey Shrike and my first for a couple of years. Managed to year tick Wren as well.

Back to Nethy and it was over to the bottle bank to recycle the empties. A job I always dislike as it signifies the end of the holiday. Had a quick look at the feeders from the bridge and year ticked Siskins and Greenfinch. And then drove along some side streets on the off chance the Waxwings (or Maxwings as we’ve started calling them) were still around and I got on to 12 of the little beauties. In much better light today as well.

This afternoon the whole family went up the Findhorn Valley. No Eagles again unfortunately but at least 10 Common Buzzards and a couple of Kestrels.

Off for a meal to the Nethybridge Hotel this evening. Had planned on stopping at Strathclyde Loch again on the way home but it’s likely to be dark when we’re passing. So maybe not.

Happy New Year all.

Rich

Attachments

• 52703504_Unknown.jpeg
    52703504_Unknown.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 52703584_Unknown.jpeg
    52703584_Unknown.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 52703600_Unknown.jpeg
    52703600_Unknown.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7