• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2023 (1 Viewer)

Have just arrived in Somerset for a few nights. Staying near Castle Cary. Was supposed to have been in Norfolk with a birding mate but unfortunately we couldn’t make it work.

Had the usual “discussion” with OH before we left this morning. We have very different ideas about packing light! She’s packed a dressing gown which could probably insulate a long section of the Alaskan pipeline. Scott would have survived if he had access to it. Needless to say I had to put the roof box on.

Came over via Marshfield. Over on Rushmead Lane had great views of Corn Buntings, Yellowhammer and a Common Whitethroat.

Also had a Shrew species run across the path in front of us at Marshfield.

Going to have an early night as we’re off to Arne in the morning. The cottage is beautiful. The owner said some of the beams date back to the 1300’s. The boys aren’t happy that the fire stick doesn’t fit though😂

Hope the forsters tern is still at arne but you’ll have a great day either way.
Cheers Owen. It was on Brownsea the last time I was in the area but I had the hound with me. So no chance. How are you enjoying your trip? Liked your photo of the fox on Twitter😉

Set the alarm for 5 this morning. Porridge and half a steak and Stilton pie later we were off.

Arrived at Arne and missed the Tern by 5 mins!! Had a good chat to a birder from Pompey. And my oldest found at least 2 female Sand Lizards behind us. A lifer for myself and the Pompey birder. After about 45 mins the Forsters Tern reappeared. It put on a great show. Fishing right in front of us. Back to the cafe and a flat white later we were off to another part of the reserve.

Met some really friendly birders. A group had come down from the midlands for the tern. A couple involved with monitoring the Poole area Ospreys and a birder we met the last time we were on the reserve. From this part of the reserve we had good views of an Osprey at the nest platform with a sizeable fish.

Time to head back to the cottage for a nap on the sofa with the pup. Happy days.

Attachments

• B2AA9B24-FC7A-447C-A1EA-100C1F93289F.jpeg
    B2AA9B24-FC7A-447C-A1EA-100C1F93289F.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 17
  • 6CFCA97C-7817-4862-81B6-C434B7A0C624.jpeg
    6CFCA97C-7817-4862-81B6-C434B7A0C624.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 17
Sorry we missed you yesterday, on these long days out we pursue a first site at first light policy, so it was us responsible for the 06:20 sighting! In fact it was Arch, much to his delight, who picked it out first on two occasions, once on the mud, then later on flight. We were leaving the car park by about 07:50, but I think we walked a different route , having headed south out of the car park and then west to Shipstal Point, then back the same way. I think most folk were heading west out of the car park and then south instead, which is presumably why our paths didn't cross. Well done on the Sand Lizards, a bit gripped by that! We did well with Sika Deer though, having seen a dozen or so in the gloom on the way in, there were lots more out on the marsh in sunshine later, and a stag showing well in a field on our walk back to the car. The rest of the day was spent chasing Butterflies, so I'll recount it elsewhere in due course. End of hijack!

Attachments

• 20230806062527_IMG_2102.JPG
    20230806062527_IMG_2102.JPG
    536.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230806063608_IMG_2144.JPG
    20230806063608_IMG_2144.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230806062639_IMG_2110.JPG
    20230806062639_IMG_2110.JPG
    890.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230806072153_IMG_2251.JPG
    20230806072153_IMG_2251.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 11
  • 20230806075047_IMG_2404.JPG
    20230806075047_IMG_2404.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 13
Sorry we missed you yesterday, on these long days out we pursue a first site at first light policy, so it was us responsible for the 06:20 sighting! In fact it was Arch, much to his delight, who picked it out first on two occasions, once on the mud, then later on flight. We were leaving the car park by about 07:50, but I think we walked a different route , having headed south out of the car park and then west to Shipstal Point, then back the same way. I think most folk were heading west out of the car park and then south instead, which is presumably why our paths didn't cross. Well done on the Sand Lizards, a bit gripped by that! We did well with Sika Deer though, having seen a dozen or so in the gloom on the way in, there were lots more out on the marsh in sunshine later, and a stag showing well in a field on our walk back to the car. The rest of the day was spent chasing Butterflies, so I'll recount it elsewhere in due course. End of hijack!
Nice one Arch👍 We must have been on different paths as you mentioned James. A shame. Would have been nice to have caught up. I forgot about the deer. There were a few grazing behind the Ospreys nest when we were there.

Rich

Chilled day today. A couple of Blackcaps along the lane from the cottage.

Then it was off to the Sheppey Inn for lunch. Unfortunately this was closed so we headed off to Ham Wall. Very quiet there. Best we could manage were Great White Egrets and Marsh Harriers.

I only had my bins and a bird that really threw me was sat in the Sand Martin nest box from VP1. I went back to the car and got my scope. It was a juvenile Wheatear
but seeng it away from where I normally see them had me questioning what it was. Attached is a reason why I don’t phone scope😂

Just relaxing now with a Somerset cider. Had a curry from Miah’s Castle in Castle Cary. If you’re in the area I can 100% recommend. The chicken Jalfrezi was outstanding. Plenty of pop from the little green chillies.

Attachments

• 0BF753C6-6ED5-4A5D-979D-48F4D925DE4B.jpeg
    0BF753C6-6ED5-4A5D-979D-48F4D925DE4B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • DC747E2B-73F3-4E3C-AF42-53D7FF6ED647.jpeg
    DC747E2B-73F3-4E3C-AF42-53D7FF6ED647.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18
So another quiet day yesterday. Went to a reserve if not been to before. Carymoor outside of Cary Castle. A lovely little reserve. Quiet at this time of the year but I can imagine it being stuffed full of Warblers in Spring. Did manage a great view of one of the resident Barn Owls👍

Over to the Sheppey Inn for lunch. Can totally recommend this place. The aged beef burger was spot on. Could hear a Green Woodpecker from the table and had a good view of one on the drive over. A Sparrowhawk also flew along the river whilst we were having dinner.

The weather then turned so that was us for the day. The boy does not like walking in the rain

Only a short break this time but pleased to get away. Somerset is gorgeous. Not the best time of year for birding though. Next break is somewhere a little different - Vegas. Not sure how much birding I’ll get done though😂

Heading home this morning. Hoping a certain Tern sticks around until Saturday🤞

Have had a brief hiatus from the Forum. I tend to go birding to have a break from the stresses of work. Sciatica and family issues have added to the need for a break.

Would like to thank all the mods and Steve. They do a huge amount of work in the background to keep BirdForum running as smoothly as possible.

Anyway. On September 15th I headed up to Yorkshire via South Gare, Cleveland. Was hoping my youngest would be with me but unfortunately he wasn’t able to come.

At South Gare were some really friendly birders. Phil (I think it was) from Norfolk had his scope set up and got me on to the Brown Booby feeding in the bay. The bird then moved further along the coast and we both moved. A couple of Scottish birders were on it. It was on its favoured green buoy. Enjoyed watching it for a while before heading South to Bempton. Again some really friendly folks around.

Enjoyed watching a couple of Short-eared Owls and the resident Tree Sparrows. Plenty of Gannets still along the cliffs as well. Caught up with Rob who was spending a few days in the area and watched the Shorties a while longer.

Getting on a bit now I decided to call it a night. Headed down to Withernsea via my favourite chippy in Flamborough.

The chalet was in a great location for birding the East Riding of Yorkshire. Will post a link. Very clean and everything needed for a long weekend.

Attachments

• 51128432_Unknown.jpeg
    51128432_Unknown.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5946.jpeg
    IMG_5946.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5953.jpeg
    IMG_5953.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5952.jpeg
    IMG_5952.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 6
Been wondering where you'd got to Rich, nice to read about another trip. Was the Booby a tick or did you get down for the Cornwall bird(s)?

Been wondering where you'd got to Rich, nice to read about another trip. Was the Booby a tick or did you get down for the Cornwall bird(s)?
Hi James. Yes it was. Would have preferred to have seen it with Max but not to be. Bought a really nice print of it for when we make some alterations to the house. The artist is really talented IMHO.

Attachments

• IMG_5970.jpeg
    IMG_5970.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I can very much relate to that, I'm dreading the day I see something that Arch misses. At least with Brown Booby Max should get another shot, the way things are going.

Edward Philips does some great stuff. I got my brother his music railway map of Britain for his birthday. I'm tempted to get a Bempton Albatross or Dunsop Pallid Harrier for myself. Maybe when I do something good to deserve it. Could be in for a bit of a wait!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back