• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (6 Viewers)

Although I haven't seen Bermuda Petrel, I know people who have.
I think Bird Forum member Gunnar Engblom has seen Junin Grebe.
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has seen Unspotted Saw-whet Owl, especially in Costa Rica.

As have I and several others on this forum. Same can be said about a number of other species on the list (many of which, like the Junín Grebe, actually are reasonably easy). Still, unless things change, the Junín Grebe may soon be a thing of the past. When it comes to seeing it, the truly difficult Junín endemic is here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=62905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdingcraft

As have I and several others on this forum. Same can be said about a number of other species on the list (many of which, like the Junín Grebe, actually are reasonably easy). Still, unless things change, the Junín Grebe may soon be a thing of the past. When it comes to seeing it, the truly difficult Junín endemic is here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=62905

Rasmus, if you name the birds on the "Not Seen" list which you have seen I will move them down to the "Seen" list.

* I have not personally researched the "Not Seen" birds to see which are easy and which are difficult to see.

** I have moved the Junín Grebe to the "Seen List".

I have seen the following from the list:

Lina's Sunbird
Talaud Bush-hen
Whiskered Flowerpecker
Whitehead's Swiftlet

Andaman Crake
Apo Sunbird
Bulwer's Pheasant
Burmese Bushlark
Dark-rumped Swift
Flame-crowned Flowerpecker
Heinrich's Nightjar
Hooded Treepie
Philippine Eagle
Sumatran Cochoa
White-browed Nuthatch

In south-east Asia I'm not aware of any recent records of Black Partridge, I only know a couple of Malaysian birders who have seen Black Oriole then to add to the list, maybe: Sangihe White-eye
Carunculated Fruit Dove
Obi Woodcock
Black-chinned Monarch
Black-lored Parrot
Javan Lapwing

Birds such as Banggai Crow, Silvery Wood Pigeon and Blue-fronted Lorikeet have been seen recently in indonesia but not sure if any of the birders are BF members!

James

I'll bet nobody but me has seen the Yellow-Shouldered Parrot.
It only lives in about a square mile of the world, but it's doing just great where it is!

I'll bet nobody but me has seen the Yellow-Shouldered Parrot.
It only lives in about a square mile of the world, but it's doing just great where it is!

UtahnBirder - if you mean the Amazon of north Venezuelan / Curacao / Magarita I think plenty of folk on here will have seen that one in dry coastal scrub in north-east Venezuela. Nice bird.

cheers, alan

bkrownd, which of the "may be extinct" birds in the list have been declared "extinct" (by the appropriate birding authorities)?

How does the fact that they're extinct depend on what some far-away and perhaps poorly informed "authority" says? (sometimes they're shackled to a procedure that prevents stating the obvious) We know they're extinct from decades of experience. Some elements of the wider community have yet to catch up with the facts. More importantly, it belittles the dire peril our biota is in when people discuss the situation in unreasonably optimistic terms, as some people always insist on doing. These expressions of false hope are used to mislead the public and discredit conservation efforts.

Also, 'alala are merely extirpated from the wild, though I don't expect any to be released in the forseeable future since their former habitat seems to be in even worse shape than before they were brought into captivity, and local politics is still getting in the way of taking appropriate measures to improve the former habitat.

Well, it's your list anyhoo. Just trying to help sort these things out.

Last edited:
UtahnBirder - if you mean the Amazon of north Venezuelan / Curacao / Magarita I think plenty of folk on here will have seen that one in dry coastal scrub in north-east Venezuela. Nice bird.

cheers, alan

Nope. This Yellow-Shouldered Parrot lives only in the Northern Portion of the Island Bonaire in the Carribean Netherlands Antilles.

Nope. This Yellow-Shouldered Parrot lives only in the Northern Portion of the Island Bonaire in the Carribean Netherlands Antilles.
According to whom? Surely not according to Birdlife International. I'm just an amateur at this game, but sincerely believe that they keep a pretty close eye on these things. :brains:

See status of the bird, here.

By the way, Yellow-shouldered Parrot = Yellow-shouldered Amazon = Amazona barbadensis. Perhaps that's the source of the confusion.:t:

(Wish I could get to Bonaire!)

Cheers,
Peter C.

According to whom? Surely not according to Birdlife International. I'm just an amateur at this game, but sincerely believe that they keep a pretty close eye on these things. :brains:

See status of the bird, here.

By the way, Yellow-shouldered Parrot = Yellow-shouldered Amazon = Amazona barbadensis. Perhaps that's the source of the confusion.:t:

(Wish I could get to Bonaire!)

Cheers,
Peter C.

You may be right, but prior to my trip there I looked at this website (http://www.geographia.com/bonaire/bonbrd01.htm#land), which led me to believe that it only lived in Bonaire.

"Two tropical birds found only on Bonaire are the Caribbean parakeet (Aratinga pertinax, subspecies xanthogenius) and the yellow-shouldered parrot (Amazona barbadensis, subspecies rothschildi)."

Bonaire was great, but I went with my dad and some of his bosses, and none of them could give a crap about birds. My list pretty much consisted of the Parrots, Brown Pelican, a few flamingos and some rock doves.
But, the Brown Pelican I met on the dock was pretty friendly. Even let me touch him :D

"Two tropical birds found only on Bonaire are the Caribbean parakeet (Aratinga pertinax, subspecies xanthogenius) and the yellow-shouldered parrot (Amazona barbadensis, subspecies rothschildi)."

Aha! I believe I understand where you're coming from, now.

There is bit of "local boosterism" going on here, I think. The website is touting the local sub-species, Amazona b. rothschildi, as a bird "found only on Bonaire" - which, I suppose, it may well be. But it is recognized, as things stand, that it is just one of the sub-species that comprise the species as a whole. The nominate sub-species of Yellow-shouldered Amazon, Amazona b. barbadensis, has a bit of a wider range in Venezuela (see map in the BI link.)

So it comes down to whether or not recognized sub-species "count" (whatever-the-heck that means) as a "new bird" or not - a question I will not comment on.

(Of course, if the "splitters" have their way, the Bonaire sub-species may get full species status someday, so you never know...)

BTW, can emphasize with the feeling of being in a great tropic place with non-birders - what a drag, to be in with a crowd of people with all the wrong priorities ;).

Peter C.

I have added Kaempfer's Woodpecker Celeus obrieni to the list. This species, previous known as Caatinga Woodpecker, was for a time considered to be a subspecies of the Rufous-headed Woodpecker Celeus spectabilis. The Caatinga Woodpecker had not been seen for 80 years. Then it was refound in 2005 during a mist netting session in Brazil. Consequently, it has now been given full species status and its new name.

Lists updated.

My mother saw an Aldabra Rail about 15 years ago, when she was 75, on a scuba trip. Should I get her to join? I think I have her photo of the bird somewhere.
Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back