• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (8 Viewers)

Should we add Jocotoco Antpitta and Black-breasted Puffleg to the list? I haven't seen them... although I'm going after both this winter.

Should we add Jocotoco Antpitta and Black-breasted Puffleg to the list? I haven't seen them... although I'm going after both this winter.

I never managed Jocotoco Antpitta, but here's a shot of Black-breasted Puffleg I get near Mindo (a bit out of range, but very little is known about its movements away from Pinchincha).

Cheers,
Benji

Attachments

• black-breasted puffleg (2).jpg
    black-breasted puffleg (2).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 62
I have added Kaempfer's Woodpecker Celeus obrieni to the list. This species, previous known as Caatinga Woodpecker, was for a time considered to be a subspecies of the Rufous-headed Woodpecker Celeus spectabilis. The Caatinga Woodpecker had not been seen for 80 years. Then it was refound in 2005 during a mist netting session in Brazil. Consequently, it has now been given full species status and its new name.

List update here

(page 2, post # 39)

Not all authorities agree with full species status of this woodpecker. However, BF member Ciro Albano have uploaded a photo of it which can be seen here.

Speckled Antshrike (Spiny-faced Antshrike) is a species that maybe should be added to the not seen list, as it is described as an extreme skulker which you almost have to mistnet to see (and I could find no images of it in the gallery).

Edit: I checked the list of "not seen" (post 39) for this species, but if you have a post with the "seen" list, then I don't know where it is and have not checked it.

Cheers
Niels

Last edited:
Niels, I have added the Speckled Antshrike (Spiny-faced Antshrike) to the "not seen" list.

If you scroll down the lists, you should find the "seen" list.

I will have to do some more checking on the Kaempfer's Woodpecker.

Not all authorities agree with full species status of this woodpecker. However, BF member Ciro Albano have uploaded a photo of it which can be seen here.

Speckled Antshrike (Spiny-faced Antshrike) is a species that maybe should be added to the not seen list, as it is described as an extreme skulker which you almost have to mistnet to see (and I could find no images of it in the gallery).

Edit: I checked the list of "not seen" (post 39) for this species, but if you have a post with the "seen" list, then I don't know where it is and have not checked it.

Cheers
Niels

There are a fair number off people who have seen Speckled Antshrike (the one and only Xenornis), Jocotoco Antpitta, and Black-breasted Puffleg.

Patrick, do you know a BirdForum member who has seen The Speckled Antshrike or the Jocotoco Antpitta? jc122463 (a BF member) relates that he has seen the Black-breasted Puffleg in post # 148.

There are a fair number off people who have seen Speckled Antshrike (the one and only Xenornis), Jocotoco Antpitta, and Black-breasted Puffleg.

If anyone has seen any of the "Not Seen" birds, please reply to this post and I will upgrade the lists.

There have been no updates since October of this year.

you can remove these
Black Partridge
Kolumbangara Rail
Moustached Kingfisher

and add these?
Kofiau Paradise Kingfisher
Kofiau Monarch
Snow Mountain Robin
Papuan Whipbird
Obscure Berrypecker
Golden-fronted Bowerbird & other Foya endemics if described
Eastern Parotia
Thick-billed Ground Dove
Biak white-eye
Biak Gerygone
Biak Scops Owl
Brass's Friarbird
Fearful Owl
Bismarck Thicketbird
Masau Rufous Fantail
New Hanover Mannikin

and add these?
Kofiau Monarch
Snow Mountain Robin
Papuan Whipbird
Obscure Berrypecker
Eastern Parotia
Thick-billed Ground Dove
Biak white-eye
Biak Gerygone
Biak Scops Owl
Brass's Friarbird
Fearful Owl
Bismarck Thicketbird
Masau Rufous Fantail
New Hanover Mannikin

I and Pete Morris have seen (& photographed) the berrypecker at tabubil in 2007 where it is now regularly seen
We also both saw and tape recorded the whipbird and it is now fairly well staked out above Ambua (max's trail)
I saw the Gerygone in 1992 and I think it is still being seen on occasion - I can't remember seeing the White-eye but need to check my notes (we missed the monarch & scops owl though)
Rob H and others have certainly seen Biak Scops and the Snow Mountain Robin recently
The others may be a good bet.

cheers, alan

I and Pete Morris have seen (& photographed) the berrypecker at tabubil in 2007 where it is now regularly seen
We also both saw and tape recorded the whipbird and it is now fairly well staked out above Ambua (max's trail)

thanks for bringing me up to date Alan

I saw the Gerygone in 1992 and I think it is still being seen on occasion

According to Beehler et al 1986 only one species of Gerygone occurs on Biak vis Gerygone (magnirostris) hypoxantha. I saw Gerygone there that did not seem to be this species that I tentatively called Fairy Gerygone, did you see these?

Rob H and others have certainly seen ... Snow Mountain Robin recently
would love the hear that story, assuming they walked in.

Last edited:
Patrick, do you know a BirdForum member who has seen The Speckled Antshrike or the Jocotoco Antpitta? jc122463 (a BF member) relates that he has seen the Black-breasted Puffleg in post # 148.

I don't know if any BF members have seen these species (I wish I could be one of them!) but there should be a few out there who have.

According to Beehler et al 1986 only one species of Gerygone occurs on Biak vis Gerygone (magnirostris) hypoxantha. I saw Gerygone there that did not seem to be this species that I tentatively called Fairy Gerygone, did you see these?

F.

My original notes say:
"2 large-billed gerygone - typical except for pale yellow wash to belly" and rather happily this is just what Biaks look like in HBW! HBW suggests the reports of Fairys are probably also Biaks....
You will be amused to hear that my notes on Biak White-eye say "Pr...scoped mutual preening....What is DG up to?" Presumably we had DG's notes and he missed it! ;)

cheers, alan

all long past history now but from a read of my notes it appears that I was not considering the gerygone on Biak as a species as I mention that only the white-eye remains unfound. the following appears to have been written after the event on realising the significance of Biak Gerygone.

Fairy Gerygone * Beehler seems to suggest that the only Gerygone on the Island is the rare Large-billed (Biak) Gerygone. The birds I saw looked like female Fairy Gerygones, small, olive-grey above, washed yellow on belly, pale throat and supra-loral spot and lacks Large-billed's distnctive tail pattern

brief but not convinced these could be Biak Gerygone, could they?

typical except for pale yellow wash to belly" and rather happily this is just what Biaks look like in HBW

I did not have this information at the time, could only go by Beehler vis "Lacks any yellow or green in plumage"

You will be amused to hear that my notes on Biak White-eye say "Pr...scoped mutual preening....What is DG up to?" Presumably we had DG's notes and he missed it!

spent about 2 weeks on Biak in total but never did see the white-eye, inexplicable:C

you can remove these
Black Partridge
Kolumbangara Rail
Moustached Kingfisher

and add these?
Kofiau Monarch
Snow Mountain Robin
Papuan Whipbird
Obscure Berrypecker
Eastern Parotia
Thick-billed Ground Dove
Biak white-eye
Biak Gerygone
Biak Scops Owl
Brass's Friarbird
Fearful Owl
Bismarck Thicketbird
Masau Rufous Fantail
New Hanover Mannikin

I have seen these-

Snow Mountain Robin
Eastern Parotia
Fearful Owl
New Hanover Mannikin

Larry

Don't know if it has been knocked off the list, but I have seen Colorful Puffleg in Colombia, together with Guy Kirwan, Lars Pettersson, Steve Webb and others

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back