• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (3 Viewers)

Diego, I have added the species you mentioned to the "not seen" list.

* Perija Brush-Finch (Arremon perijanus) * Proposed split.
Perija Thistletail
Santa Marta Wren
Chiribiquete Emerald
Gorgeted Puffleg
Colombian Grebe
Sooty-capped Puffbird
Spectacled Prickletail

* Bogota Sunangel (already on list as extinct)

Diego, I have added the species you mentioned in the "not seen" list.

* Perija Brush-Finch (Arremon perijanus) * Proposed split.
Perija Thistletail
Santa Marta Wren
Chiribiquete Emerald
Gorgeted Puffleg
Colombian Grebe
Sooty-capped Puffbird
Spectacled Prickletail

* Bogota Sunangel (already on list as extinct)

grand Larry, thanks!..
I am eager to see when any of these birds switch list here!
saludos, d.

All but three

I have been looking through my Peru field guide for a possible trip and would like to know if anyone on this forum has seen the following species:

Noble Snipe
Imperial Snipe
Red-faced Parrot
Koepcke's Screech-Owl
Fiery Topaz
Gray-bellied Comet
Neblina Metaltail
Scarlet-banded Barbet
Hooded Mountain-Toucan
Allpahuayo Antbird
Peruvian Antpitta
Foothill Elaenia
Shrike-like Cotinga (aka Laniisoma)
Fiery-throated Fruiteater
Sira Tanager
Dotted Tanager
Green-capped Tanager
Black-spectacled Brush-Finch

Maybe they have all been seen, maybe not.

Carlos

PS: I think this thread needs a bit of a rehaul as it is getting a bit 'clunky' and not user friendly.

Seen all except Sira Tanager (three tries), Scarlet-banded Barbet and Shrike-like Cotinga.

Gunnar

PS: 1600 (SACC) species on my Peru list

Thanks Diego, I am not to happy about having tried three times for the Sira Tanager. It gives me a reason to go back. And I have always come back with some new observation from the area. Sira is indeed a great area to bird and hike. Remote, but yet close to a village (Puerto Inca) to set up with porters and to buy supplies. There is however, a new area in the Southern part of the range where one should be able to practically drive up to see Sira Tanager. Too little time to recce the area right now, with the kids being small. But hopefully soon I can escape to the area for a week or so.
We have mounted three expeditions for the Scarlet-banded Barbet, but I have still to go myself.
Elegant Mourner is simply avoiding me. I don't know what I did wrong on that one.

* Spectacled Prickletail (Siptornis striaticollis)

Seen, in northernmost Peru.

Peruvian Antpitta, seen in Ecuador.

Not sure if Larry added Shrike-like Cotinga or not, but irrespective of taxon, buckleyi (Ecuador) or nominate elegans (Brazil), I've seen both, elegans many times, buckleyi just once.

Lists updated today (see Page # 2, post # 39)

Thanks, Gunnar and Guy.

Species moved from "not seen" to "seen" list:

Imperial Snipe
Red-faced Parrot
Hooded Mountain-Toucan
Peruvian Antpitta
Foothill Elaenia
Dotted Tanager
Green-capped Tanager
Black-spectacled Brush-Finch

Noble Snipe ..already seen ..
Koepcke's Screech-Owl ..already seen ..
Fiery Topaz ..already seen ..
Gray-bellied Comet ..already seen ..
Neblina Metaltail ..already seen ..
Allpahuayo Antbird ..already seen ..
Fiery-throated Fruiteater ..already seen ..

Spectacled Prickletail (moved)

In a quick scan of the list, i have seen:

Scarlet-banded Barbet
Woodford's Rail

There sure are a lot of others I would like to see !

Andy

Provided I'm reading the right list, you can delete from the 'not seens', as I have recorded the following:

Shrike-like Cotinga (aka Laniisoma) – Brazil and Ecuador (see post 353)
Unspotted Saw-whet Owl – Mexico, fall 2001
Friendman's (= Friedmann’s) Lark – Kenya, 1994

Thanks Diego, I am not to happy about having tried three times for the Sira Tanager. It gives me a reason to go back. And I have always come back with some new observation from the area. Sira is indeed a great area to bird and hike. Remote, but yet close to a village (Puerto Inca) to set up with porters and to buy supplies. There is however, a new area in the Southern part of the range where one should be able to practically drive up to see Sira Tanager. Too little time to recce the area right now, with the kids being small. But hopefully soon I can escape to the area for a week or so.
We have mounted three expeditions for the Scarlet-banded Barbet, but I have still to go myself.
Elegant Mourner is simply avoiding me. I don't know what I did wrong on that one.

Sounds like the Laniisoma is your bogey bird! I still need it too. The Sira area sure sounds enticing!

Here are a few birds that should potentially be in the not-seen list, or at least serve to keep the thread active and discuss some of the world's rarest and most difficult to see birds:

Dwarf Tinamou
Alagoas Curassow (has any birder seen this before it went extinct in the wild?)
White-collared Kite
Blue-eyed Ground-Dove
Scaled Ground-Cuckoo
Pernambuco Pygmy-Owl
Alagoas Foliage-gleaner
Rondonia Bushbird
Bahia Tapaculo
Araripe Manakin
Golden-crowned Manakin

Maybe Guy Kirwan has seen some of these?

Carlos

Here are a few birds that should potentially be in the not-seen list, or at least serve to keep the thread active and discuss some of the world's rarest and most difficult to see birds:

White-collared Kite
Araripe Manakin

Carlos

Seen those two (and many will have done); sure Guy and others will have seen the tap and the foliage-gleaner and possibly the manakin?

cheers,a

Dwarf Tinamou
Alagoas Curassow (has any birder seen this before it went extinct in the wild?)
White-collared Kite
Blue-eyed Ground-Dove
Scaled Ground-Cuckoo
Pernambuco Pygmy-Owl
Alagoas Foliage-gleaner
Rondonia Bushbird
Bahia Tapaculo
Araripe Manakin
Golden-crowned Manakin

Maybe Guy Kirwan has seen some of these?

Carlos

Well, this is a pretty tough set of birds other than the Antilophia manakin (which is easy provided you go to the right mountain range!). The Lepidothrix should be reasonably easy too, provided you can be bothered to go to its relatively small range (seemingly sandwiched by those of 2/3 congenerics), which I haven't ... yet.

Of the 11, I scrape 50% with six (namely the Taoniscus, the kite, the tapaculo, the Neomorphus, the f-g, and the Antilophia). If you want to see the f-g, you'd best go to NE Brazil soon—it must be periliously rare now and perhaps already as good as genetically extinct.

No birder saw the Mitu and the pygmy owl is baffling for its failure to be recorded. To my knowledge the only people to have seen it alive are Luiz Gonzaga, Ade Long and Luis Claudio Marigo. I went to the type locality earlier this year, but no joy, just like everyone else. So no sightings since 2001, much less since its description a few years later. But how a Glaucidium should drop off the face of the Earth is really weird.

I'm sure the Columbina should turn up again though. Fábio Olmos has been looking I believe.

Perhaps Brad Davis (who visits BF occasionally) has seen the bushbird by now given that he's been to Pousada Rio Roosevelt a couple of times.

Last edited:
Guy,

Are there any explanations for the the lack of sightings of Pernambuco Pygmy-Owl? Perhaps not understanding its habits or habitat requirements very well?

Most importantly, is there any action being taken at all to slow down the rapid deforestation in northeastern Brazil, or is it perhaps even accelerating? There are a lot of bird species all along Brazil's coast that are being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas...

Carlos

Guy,

Are there any explanations for the the lack of sightings of Pernambuco Pygmy-Owl? Perhaps not understanding its habits or habitat requirements very well?

Most importantly, is there any action being taken at all to slow down the rapid deforestation in northeastern Brazil, or is it perhaps even accelerating? There are a lot of bird species all along Brazil's coast that are being squeezed into smaller and smaller areas...

Carlos

I think as Guy was alluding to, the lack of sightings of the Pygmy Owl is a mystery. Glaucidium are typically common within range and many species, even the forest species, can survive in relatively degraded habitats. It MUST still be there....

cheers, alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back