• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

I've seen Black-capped Tinamou quite well last summer at Amazonia Lodge in Manu, Peru. Rufous-vented Ground Cuckoo was also seen twice (a first for our guide as well).

André

Last edited:
I will put these on the "not seen" by anyone posting to this thread:
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo

Black-capped Tinamou
Black Tinamou
Berlepsch's Tinamou
Gray-legged Tinamou

I've seen, briefly, and recorded Gray-legged Tinamou around Mitu, in the Colombian border with Brazil.

Thank you for your responses Andy, André, Diego and Guy.

I will move these from the "not seen" to the "seen" list:
Black-capped Tinamou
Gray-legged Tinamou
Rufous-vented Ground-Cuckoo
Rufous-winged Ground-Cuckoo

These remain on the "not seen" list:
Black Tinamou
Berlepsch's Tinamou
Red-billed Ground-Cuckoo

* Any more suggestions for bird species to be added to the "not seen" list (by anyone visiting this thread)?

Notices/Reminders

There are 213 species of birds advanced by participants of this thread suggesting that no one visiting this thread have seen.

I have moved 196 species from the "not seen" to the "seen" list whenever someone posts to this thread that they have seen/heard the bird.

* If you have seen/heard any of the species in the "not seen" list then post to this thread and I will move that/those species to the "seen" list.

* Also, feel free to post to this thread any species which you believe no one visiting this thread have seen/heard and I will add it to the "not seen" list.

* There are 88 individual posters represented on this thread.

Hi

I have heard and very briefly seen Streaky-breasted Flufftail here in Harare earlier this year. It is a regular, if somewhat scarce breeding migrant.

Nick

Ivory billed pileated Wood pecker.... I so hope they are not extinct!

* The Ivory-billed Woodpecker is already on the "not seen" list (but it is considered by most to be extinct)!

* Nick, I have moved the Streaky-breasted Flufftail from the "not seen" to the "seen" list.

Thanks!

Jacob, I have moved the Sira Tanager from the "not seen" to the "seen" list.

1. Someone visiting this thread suggests a species to me to put on the "not seen" list.
2. Someone visiting this thread sees a particular bird on the list which they have seen and post on this thread the fact that they have seen the bird .
3. Then I move the bird on the "not seen" list to the "seen" list

Larry,
I noticed you have listed "* Perija Brush-Finch (Arremon perijanus) * Proposed split".

It is already accepted (http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop468.html & http://www.museum.lsu.edu/~Remsen/SACCprop487.html)

You can move it to the SEEN list as I got it in my time up in the mountain back there in 2003!...
lovely one! (a nice shot here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/amcuervo/6037285880/)

I guess you will be also moving the Sooty-capped Puffbird soon to the SEEN list ;-)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...8566_100000564812269_1515048_2084469977_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...5226_100000564812269_1515049_1614927804_n.jpg)
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...08579_100000564812269_1515047_428578255_n.jpg)
will keep you posted!!

Diego.

Last edited:
Diego, I am glad you got the Perija Brush-Finch, Arremon perijanus. I will move it to the "Seen List".

* I will keep an eye out for when you get the Sooty-capped Puffbird.

How about Sulawesi Cuckoo (Cuculus crassirostris) and Dusky Friarbird (Philemon fuscicapillus)? The former is heard regularly at Lore Lindu NP at night, but I don't know if anyone has managed to chase a calling bird down. The latter is very similar to Halmahera Oriole by sight, and may only be found on Morotai.

How about Sulawesi Cuckoo (Cuculus crassirostris) and Dusky Friarbird (Philemon fuscicapillus)? The former is heard regularly at Lore Lindu NP at night, but I don't know if anyone has managed to chase a calling bird down. The latter is very similar to Halmahera Oriole by sight, and may only be found on Morotai.
I've seen Sulawesi hawk-cuckoo

And so have I; excellent views of a bird feeding low down on caterpillars at Dumoga Bone in 1992, found by Richard Rowland. Quiite why it has become so rare (even by voice now) seems to be a mystery.

cheers, alan

that's where I saw mine too (well, at Tambun), in 2009. I must admit that at the time I didn't know how sought after it was - I was just happy to see a cuckoo because cuckoo-sightings and I don't go together well! ;)

I heard a singing Sulawesi Hawk-Cuckoo at the bottom of the Anaso track in April 2011. Most birders visit the island in Jul-Oct, and I wonder if they are generally silent then?

This was one of my most frustrating birding experience. I heard the bird singing in tall trees close to the track at dawn, and played a recording. This got an immediate response, with a hawk cuckoo flying across and landing in the mid canopy above my head to investigate.

When I finally got a good view...it was a Hodgson's. The Sulawesi Hawk-Cuckoo apparently had no interest in the recording.

James, I have removed the Kofiau Monarch duplicate in the list.

Sulawesi Hawk-Cuckoo moved to the seen list.

Dusky Friarbird added to "not seen" list.

It's been ages since I looked at this thread and I've just noticed you've got Bonin Honeyeater on the 'not seen' List Larry. It's now Bonin White-eye and my latest ( :smoke: ) sighting was 13 March this year. Anyone who gets out to Haha-jima or Chichi-jima can't help but see them.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back