• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

I thought I'd attempt to approach this in a slightly more structured way, so here's a list from www.bubo.org of all species which no listers have on their Clements World list, and which are not already in Larry's list, as far as I can tell (although some of them will be there under different names, no doubt). [/SIZE]

Nice idea but last time I looked on Bubo only Johnny H had posted his list. Obviously that sweeps up a lot but you also need to look at the premise pf Larry's list.

cheers, alan

.. and looking at that list its well out of date, eg a hat load of us have now seen Cabot's Trag (including JH), Grey-headed Antbird, Tawny-breasted Tinamou etc etc.

a

The Tacarcuna Wood-Quail on that list is a pretty good one, though. How many people have been able to access that bird's range and see this species?

Carlos

The Tacarcuna Wood-Quail on that list is a pretty good one, though. How many people have been able to access that bird's range and see this species?

Carlos

Not many actually Cesar!...
a couple of Colombian expeditions have visited the area from the Colombian side and have gotten many interesting records (being published soon I hope!), new species for Colombia and even new species for South America!... the Wood-Quails as far as I know have been heard only.
would love to get up there someday!
Diego.

StevePreddy my intent on creating this thread was not to be so "all encompassing". I just wished to give the people visiting this thread an opportunity to set forth a species which they thought "no one visiting this thread" had seen. Then, if someone visiting this thread, had observed said species I would include it in the "Seen list", (if they would let me know via the thread).

I have added this one to the "Not seen list".

Tacarcuna Wood-Quail

* Please see the "no one visiting this thread" stipulation in post # 1 of this thread.

Steve, why confine yourself to Clements? if you also look at IOC list on Bubo you will find many of these species posted.

StevePreddy my intent on creating this thread was not to be so "all encompassing". I just wished to give the people visiting this thread an opportunity to set forth a species which they thought "no one visiting this thread" had seen. Then, if someone visiting this thread, had observed said species I would include it in the "Seen list", (if they would let me know via the thread).

But Larry, this is Birdforum ... remember our motto "the forum where no thread ever fails to go off the point" :)

This is exactly how I intended my (rather long) list above to be used: as a way of narrowing down the search for "ultimate birds" to a manageably small pool. Has anyone noticed any others hiding out in there?

Steve, why confine yourself to Clements? if you also look at IOC list on Bubo you will find many of these species posted.

Good idea, Dave. If I get time, I'll whittle it down further.

From BirdLife International, on Liben Lark, Heteromirafra sidamoensis

"This species is listed as Critically Endangered because it has an extremely small range, it is only confirmed to occur at a single location and its range size is decreasing. Remaining habitat is rapidly being degraded, and the number of mature individuals is decreasing (the total population is now believed to number fewer than 250 mature individuals). A potentially skewed sex ratio may mean the effective population size is even smaller, and there is a very real possibility that the species will become extinct in the next two to three year."

Suggested by: seanalfi

Seen by: lewis20126.

African Green Broadbill

Green Broadbill
Seen in Bwindi Impenetratable Forest - while on walk to see Mountain Gorilla from Abercrombie and Kent tented camp. Also seen by wife and two american birders plus local birding guide Alfred ? who actually got us on it. Unfortunately no photo.

The Antioquia Brush-Finch and red sea swallow has got me thinking whether there might be some other 'obvious' omissions on the not seen list by virtue of said species only being known by one or two type specimens/skins or by a couple of reports via mist-netting etc?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back