• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with a Texas bird Garden (1 Viewer)

I have a mostly clay backyard with full sun and no trees, I wanted to know what plants should I use? I mainly would want to put shrubs/small trees and annual and perennial flowers and vines.šŸ˜€

Iā€™m not great with gardening, but as Texas is so big (not being sarcastic, I was born and raised there) part of it will depend on the ā€œzoneā€ you are as to which plants will thrive and which wonā€™t. Plants that would thrive up near Amarillo would probably not do as well as those in Corpus Christi.

You will do both yourself and the birds a favor if you plant things that are native to your area. One great resource in the U.S. is on the Audubon society webpage. If you google ā€œAudubon society native plantsā€œ you should find a link on their page that allows you to input your ZIP Code and get a list of plants tailored for your specific area. Natives will have the advantage of being acclimated to your climate, and will provide the sorts of resources that the birds in your area will need. (Native support the local insects that many birds feed on, in addition to providing direct food, shelter, etc. for the birds.) They frequently also require less water and maintenance. You might want to check out some of the books by Doug Tallamy; heā€™s a big proponent of creating native landscapes and of the benefits they have for birds and wildlife.

As important, or more important, than the plants will be getting a source of water for the birds. This could be as simple as a birdbath or something more complex like a recirculating pond. If you search around there are easy DIY plans for bubblers that will create moving water (hereā€™s an example: https://www.trianglegardener.com/how-to-build-a-bird-bubbler/). The sound of moving water will draw as many or more birds as your plants will. I donā€™t know whether you also plan to put feeders up, but I see a wider variety of birds at the water than I do at the feeders.

Last edited:
Sorry for answering so late! Thanks for the advice, I used the Audubon native plant tool and I got a lot of results, and I ordered from a native plant nursery. I have to wait till march for it to ship, but I will post pictures of them when there here!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back