• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much birding do you do? (2 Viewers)

I've never thought to keep track. I've got feeders set up out side the rooms where I spend most of my indoor time so I can turn my head away from my computer or TV and see birds. Right now there are 6 c. Redpolls, a Downy Woodpecker, an A. Crow, some Blue Jays and several A. Goldfinches visible without me leaving my chair.
Most of the year I try to get out away from home for half a day minimum at least once per week. I'm retired so I really don't understand why I don't get out more. I should be out everyday but there always seems to be something getting in the way. I've got a small farm,40 acres, so I bird around it a couple of times per week. I keep talking about building a permanent blind back on the river (it's tidal so we get a decent mix of birds back there).
I can't drive right now because of a smashed up thumb but my long suffering wife has promised to take me out this afternoon to try a track down some good birds that have been reported about 15 miles from here. There's a Harlequin Duck, a couple of Barrow's Goldeneye and a Lesser Balck-backed Gull all at the same spot.
Wish me luck!

Oh dear Steve, what are you about to start? I've never made a note of just how much time I do actually spend out birding, as opposed to watching the birds at the feeders in the garden! But now that you have put the idea in my head I'll have to start doing it...by December 31st I'll either be pleasantly surprised by how much I have actually done...or embarrassed at how little!!!

GILL

As much time as possible - All weekend, Spurn or S yorks, holidays etc. Luckily I have got Denaby Ings, Old Moor and Old Denaby 10 minutes away so I can do it all the time.

Hi all

A very interesting thread, with some good points. I like the "what constitutes watching". I am disabled, and can't always get out, but I do spend plenty of time at home watching the garden and open farmland behind us. I too am restricted to good weather days, but make it out - just local - whenever I can, and I enjoy every minute of it.

I am a regular BTO GardenBirdWatch member, so list for that, and have just started to keep a list when going out as follows; date and venue, what I saw (not numbers), male and/or female, total number of species seen, and number of new birds. There are no running totals or complete lifers list etc, so I suppose it's a sort of very loose patch watching.

Having just invested in my first scope and hide clamp, then I had better get some use out of it this summer or I will be in trouble! What a nice excuse to birdwatch.

When I can and it has to fit in with other activities such as a full time job (yawn! but essential) and my other interests. However, with my interest in maritime photography, that is easily combined with birding - I can do the both at once.

I'm out in the field every day of the year, most weeks it is between 50 and 70 hours, some weeks only 10 or 20, but I can't remember the last day I wasn't birding in some shape or form.........

Interesting vision - guy wearing headphones, holding wineglass (I'm going to assume red wine) in one hand and bins in the other while kicking a football...! The birds wouldn't know what to make of it.

Tim Allwood said:
changed a lot over last fifteen years.....

most weekends and evenings when it's light.

I've worked abroad with a more civilised working day allowing birding until 3 or 5 in afternoon.

plus a few long trips when time allows (2 months etc)

never enough though - I could spend my life birding and playing football (with headphones on as I love music too) and a glass of good wine in my hand.....what a life that would be!

I bird every day. In the winter, I spent quite a bit of time watching and photographing birds at my feeders. I go out on a major field trip ~2 a month. (A major trip is where I run up ~60 or more) I don't do many major trips in the winter, but during migration, it all averages out. I also do a lot of birding in my surburban yard. (I have many mature trees, so I have many birds.)

I have 1 full week per year & probably 5 or 6 full weekends which adds up to no more than about 22 hrs might have the odd full weekend other times of the year.

In one way or another every day.
Sometimes only from the house or the car though.
If the meaning is how often do I go out with scope, bins and flask, then not enough I'm afraid.

I walk my bum-numbingly boring local patch several times a week. Most days in April, May, September, October.

my closest patch is a fifteen minute walk down the lane,i've been going there for the past three years.usually manage to get there almost every day,sometimes for just an hour,and sometimes i'll pack enough food and drink to keep me going for almost the whole day!
often there is very little to see,the area is just a few hay fields with mature hedges/scrub and a small wooded area.
It's possible to walk around for hours and see begger all,however this site has given me the following goodies...

long eard owls*
short eard owl*
barn owl*
little owl
tawney owl
kestral
sparrow hawk
hobby*
snipe
tufted duck
wagtails
and my first (and only)great grey shrike*

one or two birders have mentioned that i've been lucky here but I put it down to putting in the hours..and a heck of a lot of patience!

matt

Most days. I only work part time (yeah!!) so I can get out on most days. However, most of my birding is done on Sundays and Mondays which, currently, are my days off.

I'm currently looking for work so have time to go birding, well at least thats what I thought. The problem is that my partner and I want to do more sea kayaking, I cant give up rock climbing and I've just rediscovered the joys of road and mountain biking!! Heaven help me if I find a good kung fu club around here.

The solution is to get another job in the trade and work as an ornithologist again, either that or hope my numbers come up!

Oh oh, its brightening up here, now do I take out my mountain bike or binoculars? Trust me you cant do both at the same time, I have the scars to prove it!

I am fortunate enough to work part time and live 1 mile from work. This gives me he freedom to bird my patch - a forested valley that is brilliant for Eastern Paleactic migrants on the lower slopes of Hong Kong's tallest mountain, so I can spend 90 minutes or so two or three times a week before going to work.

Best birds without leaving home include Crested Serpent Eagle over the house (resident), a good proportion of HK's Hodgson's Hawk Cuckoo records on call after coming home from the pub, and this year a pair of Crested Mynahs have raised two broods in extractor fan ventilation shaft.

I aso go further afield once or twice a week in all seasons except summer (too hot, no birds, too many mosquitoes), and always take my bins when doing site visits for work (conservation policy, for an environmental NGO).

I also go into China 2-4 times a year, sometimes with mates and sometimes as a guide, and do a little guiding in HK - maybe 5-20 day a year.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back