• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I cannot See China bins! (1 Viewer)

diverdude1

China
I was carefully considering the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42, when I found from reading here that it is likely MIC. Ugh. So, I gather that 'Name' means squat anymore? Ok, who Still makes serious bins? Am I left w/ Swarovski & Leica? Ouch,,, both are well out of my budget. Well, it seems MIC has taken another market and compromised it. Such a shame...

Hawke APO 8x43 are sat in my hands. Made in China.

Think I am going to care where they are made if they hit this performance level for this price and outstanding construction? Guess again. These are keepers.

Japan ( limited ) , Austria and Germany still produce and assemble some alpha products, but as you have found out, some like Zeiss and Leica have had premises in other countries eg Portugal for many years for some Leica ranges. They also sub contract/outsource many components for assembly within the EU.
MIC has improved during the last few years and I would guess accounts for nearly every sports optic under $ 200.

Why does anyone care if their binoculars are made in China, Germany or Narnia? Worry about the quality of the materials, the optical spec, the warranty, the ergonomics, but which side of the line on map the factory is?

Why does anyone care if their binoculars are made in China, Germany or Narnia? Worry about the quality of the materials, the optical spec, the warranty, the ergonomics, but which side of the line on map the factory is?
The OP is from China so maybe he/she knows something.

Not that I'd recommend them for more than casual use but I have a pair of the original Zeiss Terra 8x42 that I bought used from a fellow here many years back and they are quite well made. Where they suffer is the glass which has a slight yellow tint. Whether that's to make colors a bit more warm or just crappy glass, I don't know. But the eyecups actually work better than their Conqest HD eyecups, the focuser is smooth, and, overall, the image is sharp enough and pleasing (for casual use). These are the bins I keep in the Land Cruiser (my daily driver) just so I always have something with me.

Because in many cases Chinese optics re known for deficiencies in all of those things, and also to have very little, if any, quality control.

Cheap optics are cheap for a reason, the reason being that they are not as good as expensive optics.

I understand your point. My distaste for China products is due to political differences, arguments. Also I've witnessed the (sloppy) QC of sooooo many products up close and in-person.

I’d look at the various reviews of different options on the forums, these will highlight models that are repeatedly good and ones that are not. China is perfectly capable of making very good stuff… quite often the price determines the quality you end up with. My APM binoculars are extremely good.
Peter

I’d look at the various reviews of different options on the forums, these will highlight models that are repeatedly good and ones that are not. China is perfectly capable of making very good stuff… quite often the price determines the quality you end up with. My APM binoculars are extremely good.
Peter

I suspect the MIC aspect is principally an economic one. The design and spec will be Zeiss, and it will be Zeiss' reputation on the line if the QC processes fall short of the mark. I can't imagine Zeiss do not have some fairly stringent contractual arrangements with the manufacturers in this regard.
I should also add that the news this morning is that China has put a spacecraft down on Mars - not sure if Germany has any plans in that direction!

When one spends their money on a product,
they is voting on the survival of that company/dealer;
and against the survival of the competitors.

edj

I suspect the MIC aspect is principally an economic one. The design and spec will be Zeiss, and it will be Zeiss' reputation on the line if the QC processes fall short of the mark. I can't imagine Zeiss do not have some fairly stringent contractual arrangements with the manufacturers in this regard.
I should also add that the news this morning is that China has put a spacecraft down on Mars - not sure if Germany has any plans in that direction!
Last I checked no pics back from the Mars craft. Some are questioning if the landing was actually successful, I guess we will know soon.

I was carefully considering the Zeiss Terra ED 10x42, when I found from reading here that it is likely MIC. Ugh. So, I gather that 'Name' means squat anymore? Ok, who Still makes serious bins? Am I left w/ Swarovski & Leica? Ouch,,, both are well out of my budget. Well, it seems MIC has taken another market and compromised it. Such a shame...
Hi dude,

Welcome to BF and thanks for your honest response.
The discussion about A brands outsourcing to China is going on for quite a while now and count two parties. The ones who don't care where it comes from as long as the product is good and the ones who won't accept a A brand that accept outsourcing (read: loose QC).
Personally I belong to the second half.

Having said all this, sample variation is the end result of poor QC and/or cutting corners during production by the OEM but also due to lack of interest (read: cheaper) of the commissioner.

AFAIK both Leica and Meopta outsource also and Swarovski doesn't.

Jan

Hi dude,

Welcome to BF and thanks for your honest response.
The discussion about A brands outsourcing to China is going on for quite a while now and count two parties. The ones who don't care where it comes from as long as the product is good and the ones who won't accept a A brand that accept outsourcing (read: loose QC).
Personally I belong to the second half.

Having said all this, sample variation is the end result of poor QC and/or cutting corners during production by the OEM but also due to lack of interest (read: cheaper) of the commissioner.

AFAIK both Leica and Meopta outsource also and Swarovski doesn't.

Jan
I believe Meopta outsources a lot of the manufacturing of their Optika and Meopro lines but I think they cut and grind glass right their in Czech Republic.

Leica clearly outsources some of their things such as the erector and turret systems in their new rifle scopes.

If you want a better bin than the terra, then get the Vortex Viper HD (MIC) or Nikon Monarch 7 (I think MIC). You will be hard pressed to find a good binocular in this price range not made in China. Buy a Viper HD

It's Quality control that counts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back