• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I sold the Swarovski's. (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I finally decided to sell one pair of my binoculars. I had a pair of Swarovski EL's 8x32 and a pair of Zeiss FL's 10x42. I tried them for about three hours to decide which pair to keep. It was very close. Closer than I thought they would be. I think the Swarovski EL's were slightly sharper off-axis and maybe had slightly better depth of field but the Zeiss FL's were sharper in the "sweet spot" and were slightly brighter. In the end I kept the Zeiss's because I just preferred the view over the Swarovski's. With the 10x42 I could see just more detail. The ergonomics of both were very good. I was amazed though how really close they were. Not too much difference really. So I sold the Swarovski's on E-bay for $1200.00 and now I am down to only on pair of binoculars.

Dennis

Wouldn't say there the best.

Otto McDiesel said:
And after all those tiresome trials you decided that Zeiss FL are the best binoculars in the world, right?

I wouldn't say there the best. Of all the binoculars I have looked through I prefer the view. I like the feel of them but that is personal preference also. The Swarovski's have a beautiful view but I could just see more detail with the Zeiss. That could be partly due to the difference in aperture and magnification. The Zeiss FL's are really sharp on axis. I picked them up for $900.00 (Like new with warranty) so I can't complain. I hate Leicas because they seem to give me eyestrain.

Dennis

Robert Ellis said:
Would you call the view through the Swarovskis "competetive"?

Definitely. The views are so similar that it is a matter of preference which one you like better. You really can't say one is that much better than the other.

You were wasting your time in the first place buying 8x32, of course there would be no competition in comparing to Zeiss 10x42. Now if you had been comparing to Swaro EL 8.5x42 or EL 10x42, then you would have it very different.

Dennis, you must be comfortable with the durability of the Zeiss 10x42 FL (for example if it's dropped), the warranty and Zeiss service. Do you mind me asking what information you base this on?

Mike

Robert L Jarvis said:
You were wasting your time in the first place buying 8x32, of course there would be no competition in comparing to Zeiss 10x42. Now if you had been comparing to Swaro EL 8.5x42 or EL 10x42, then you would have it very different.

Actually, the 42mm aperture is mostly wasted in an 8x binocular, a 32mm aperture is a reasonable choice for birding at that power, far from a waste of time.

Also, if detail was what one is after, higher magnification will always win. I suspect that if you had compared a 10x42 El with an 8x32 FL, you would've picked the EL instead.

Last edited:
Robert Ellis said:
Actually, the 42mm aperture is mostly wasted in an 8x binocular, a 32mm aperture is a reasonable choice for birding at that power, far from a waste of time.

Also, if detail was what one is after, higher magnification will always win. I suspect that if you had compared a 10x42 El with an 8x32 FL, you would've picked the EL instead.

I did compare the 10x42 Swarovski EL to the Zeiss 10x42FL. I could see more detail with the Zeiss FL. I disagree that the 42mm aperture is wasted on 8X magnification. I prefer an 8x42 or 10x42 when I use my binoculars for lowlight situations at dusk for owling. That little extra brightness helps me make out the outline of the Owls and aids in their ID. In general I could make out more detail with the Zeiss FL's over the Swarovski's especially in their "sweet-spot". I think their absolute resolution is a little better. The Swarovski's may be a bit sharper at the edge but I prefer the sharper on-axis image of the Zeiss FL. I think the construction of the Zeiss FL's are fine. I am not sure if their warranty is as good or not as Swarovski's. I am not overly rough with my binoculars so I think the Zeiss will serve me well. I just love the view!

Dennis

On the 8x32 v 8v42 debate I'd say having that extra 1.25mm of exit pupil extends your viewing on average of less than 5 minutes a day. Magnification does more than aperture in a binocular. By the time it is dark enough to notice difference you'd be bumpung into trees and stumbling for your car anyway.

Robert Ellis said:
On the 8x32 v 8v42 debate I'd say having that extra 1.25mm of exit pupil extends your viewing on average of less than 5 minutes a day. Magnification does more than aperture in a binocular. By the time it is dark enough to notice difference you'd be bumpung into trees and stumbling for your car anyway.

Sometimes, that extra exit pupil makes for a more comfortable and pleasant viewing experience.

I agree Otto.

Otto McDiesel said:
Sometimes, that extra exit pupil makes for a more comfortable and pleasant viewing experience.

Exactly the larger aperture is easier on your eyes and just is more comfortable. Less likely to get blackouts also because of the larger exit-pupil diameter.

Dennis

Watch E-bay like a Hawk!

Mike Penfold said:
Dennis, where did you get the screaming deal on the FLs?

Mike

I watch E-bay all the time under Swarovski's EL and Zeiss FL and this ad was a best offer and I offered him $900.00 and he took it! Brand new with a transfereable warranty. The Zeiss 10x42 FL's have a little smaller FOV than the 8x42's but you pick up more detail which I like. They are very sweet binoculars. I sold my Swarovski's EL 8x32 after comparing them closely. I liked the Zeiss a LITTLE better but don't belittle the Swarovski EL's the choice was very HARD because they were very close. The Swarovski's have a gorgeous view let me tell you!

Dennis

I watch E-bay all the time under Swarovski's EL and Zeiss FL and this ad was a best offer and I offered him $900.00 and he took it! Brand new with a transfereable warranty. The Zeiss 10x42 FL's have a little smaller FOV than the 8x42's but you pick up more detail which I like. They are very sweet binoculars. I sold my Swarovski's EL 8x32 after comparing them closely. I liked the Zeiss a LITTLE better but don't belittle the Swarovski EL's the choice was very HARD because they were very close. The Swarovski's have a gorgeous view let me tell you!

Dennis

Thanks for the info.

Mike

For my eyes, a 4mm exit pupil is adequate for birding. You were comparing two bins with 4mm exit pupils, and you rave at how nice your bin with 4mm exit pupils is, but jump at the chance to agree that 5mm is more comfortable. Are your 10x42s not as perfect as you have said they are? Maybe you bought the wrong size Swaro the first time and the wrong magnification Zeiss this time around.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back