• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you could have only ONE binocular ? (no list). (1 Viewer)

Have you tried out the 8x32 Ultravid HD+? I bought a pair 15 months ago and they have been my most used binoculars ever since. They are the ones for me.

If the x32 Noctivid came in an Ultravid housing, I'd be interested.

My non-plus-ultra binoculars would probably be a 7x32 Ultravid. I wouldn't mind a Noctivid view ;) but it would have to have the ergonomics of the Ultravid. The Ultravid's industrial design is unrivalled, I think.
Ya think 🤔

Attachments

• 778BD575-534F-4E5A-89B6-6E2C41C9F857.jpeg
    778BD575-534F-4E5A-89B6-6E2C41C9F857.jpeg
    845.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 6A315369-12DC-4BFE-91F0-93863BEF087E.png
    6A315369-12DC-4BFE-91F0-93863BEF087E.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 49
  • EB4E3E4D-8000-416B-A44E-539B13CAD236.png
    EB4E3E4D-8000-416B-A44E-539B13CAD236.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 49
Hello,

For bird watching, I find the Zeiss 8x3FL to be most suited to my needs: good eye relief, respectable FOV, light, excellent suppression of chromatic aberrations and sufficient resolution and contrast to provide a sharp view which is comfortable.

Stay safe,
Arthur Pinewood.
Hello,

That was more than a year ago. Although I could not ask more from a binocular, Zeiss improved on the FL with the 8x32SF. The SF has a wider FOV and more contrast, so it is now my most used binocular.

Stay safe,
Arthur

One bin would be 8x42 SF. I have other bins I use a lot as well but that's my best bin and the bin I enjoy the most.

Last edited:
Only one? I'll go with ED...either a SLC HD or SLC WB in 8X42. Completely armored, excellent optics, and seemingly pretty bulletproof!

A4CAC7A7-EBE6-4B3B-9212-12494F6DD849.jpeg

Zeiss 8x40 SFL for me. Excellent optics and build at a good price (1450 euros for me after the cash back). A close runner up would be the 7x35 Retrovid but the lack of full water proofing makes it a fair weather only bin.

Currently the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket which appears to be pretty well as sharp as anything I have ever looked through with almost no optical aberrations - and I'm very sensitive to CA - whilst being bright enough for all (reasonable) conditions and remarkably small and light. It allows me to take binoculars basically everywhere I go.

If you don't wear glasses then you might find them easier to use and enjoy with simple and cheap rubber eye cups to stabilise eye position and keep out stray light.

Update: see this link for the best eye cups I have found:

The Ultravid's industrial design is unrivalled, I think.
Agreed; I love the way the Ultravid series looks and feels, and I find the way its optical design renders images to be beautiful; there's an unstressed and relaxing quality to it that's difficult to describe. (And although I've become used to the rolling-globe effect of field-flattening in other binoculars, I still prefer panning with the UV's old-school pincushion distortion.)

Probably there's some new-toy bias going on since it's the latest to arrive, but if I had to choose a single binocular, this Silverline would have to be it; the build quality is highly confidence-inspiring, it packs 42 millimetres of premium glass in a package that's barely any heavier and bulkier than most high-end 32s, and it just has that aura of being something special. It'll also age as gracefully as it gets for modern optics, which I think gives it some family-heirloom potential.

For me, they're without question the most-appealing ones to pick up, and would be the most difficult to part with. Unless I got my hands on the 32-mm Safari version, maybe... :unsure:

1690442790808.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back