• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (2 Viewers)

Hi

I do not know the South Shields area at all, but I am visiting friends at the weekend. Just wondering if anybody can help on where I have the best chance of seeing the buntings and SEOs.

Thanks

Chris

Heres a link Chris. The Owls are hunting around the area where the arrow is. The Snow buntings have mainly been around the south end of Frenchmans bay. The Lap. bunts have been seen where the arrow is but can be very mobile and sometimes mix with the Snow bunts and Reed bunts in the area.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=891&ax=438716&ay=566289&lm=0

Heres a link Chris. The Owls are hunting around the area where the arrow is. The Snow buntings have mainly been around the south end of Frenchmans bay. The Lap. bunts have been seen where the arrow is but can be very mobile and sometimes mix with the Snow bunts and Reed bunts in the area.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=891&ax=438716&ay=566289&lm=0

Hi Steve,

I'm hoping that you keep some decent weather for this Saturday morning and that nothing else conspires to mess up my planned hunt for the Lapland Buntings.

Hi Steve,

I'm hoping that you keep some decent weather for this Saturday morning and that nothing else conspires to mess up my planned hunt for the Lapland Buntings.
Hope it stops fine for you Andrew and the Laps show. Weather wise its not looking good for a wander! just typical as its the ST bird race this Sunday.:-O

Last edited:
Good long hard walk over farmland, with farmers permissions, was very productive. Highlights included 40+Skylark including an interesting short tailed individual, 16 Snow Bunting, c120 Linnet, 50+ Yellowhammer, few Reed Bunting, c40 Tree Sparrow, c60 Stock Dove, Redwing and Fieldfare, 2 Goldcrest, Siskins, Grey Wagtail, Long-eared Owl, another roosting Owl site with loads of pellets but no Owl, 3 Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, 3 Woodcock, c30 Golden Plover and lots more.

I had a goldcrest on my fat balls today.
I was worried that the other birds weren't eating them, and wondered whether Pets at Home fat balls don't taste nice when I saw and heard the goldcrest.
ps B&M and Home Bargains and some of the pound type shops still have mealworms for £1.

If anyone spots cheap sultanas in the supermarkets, please let me know.

I had a goldcrest on my fat balls today.
I was worried that the other birds weren't eating them, and wondered whether Pets at Home fat balls don't taste nice when I saw and heard the goldcrest.
ps B&M and Home Bargains and some of the pound type shops still have mealworms for £1.

If anyone spots cheap sultanas in the supermarkets, please let me know.

Pets at Home fat balls go down well at Hedworth... A large mixed flock of Tree and House Sparrows demolish mine in no time, and tits, Reed Buntings, Robins etc seem to like them fine too. Currently a few quid off birdfood prices at Pets at Home.

Mark

Pet supermarket have 15% off everything today.
No personal collections, delivery only. (Use code 15JAN at checkout)
I'm not sure whether they are currently charging for delivery, or what their wildbird prices are like.

I bought a book a couple of years ago called "Cooking for Birds" by Mark Golley and it works out a lot cheaper to make as much as you can, plus you know exactly what's going into it.

I keep the CCG feeders at Westoe Cemetery topped up for 6 month of the year and it quickly runs into 3 figures due to the sheer volume of birds we get there, so it pays to be able to utilise suitable leftovers, stale cereal, spoiled fruit, veg peelings etc. I make my own fat rolls which fit into the fatball feeders, suet blocks and filled coconut shells at a fraction of the cost of shop bought ones and I'm able to change the ingredients to "chick friendly" in the spring.

Sounds good. I usually make my fatballs with lard, ground up peanuts, dried mealworms, birdseed and oats, but I bought the last lot.

I heard today that I have missed the reduced Asda sultanas which were down to 10p after Christmas.

Yesterday

A few shots taken on the Leas yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_3059.jpg
    DSC_3059.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_3163.jpg
    DSC_3163.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_3270.jpg
    DSC_3270.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_3283.jpg
    DSC_3283.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_3422.jpg
    DSC_3422.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yesterday

I’m pleased I hung around as one SEO put in appearance around 2pm.

Attachments

• DSC_3480.jpg
    DSC_3480.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_3664.jpg
    DSC_3664.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_3739.jpg
    DSC_3739.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_3755.jpg
    DSC_3755.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_3803.jpg
    DSC_3803.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 30
Patience pays off

I’m pleased I hung around as one SEO put in appearance around 2pm.

There were quite a few folks on the Leas while I was down, wish I had more time as I saw the Snow Buntings but left before the Owls :)

Your excellent shots make up for it though, well done and Thanks

Alright Peter was just wondering wether you may
Know we're I might get a few shots of the eagle owl I have
Seen her a good few times at cleadon and could do with a helping hand
Or a viewing spot from the flats :)

Alright Peter was just wondering wether you may
Know we're I might get a few shots of the eagle owl I have
Seen her a good few times at cleadon and could do with a helping hand
Or a viewing spot from the flats :)

The Eagle Owl appears to hunt over a sizable area of South Tyneside and appears to avoid routines. While there is good evidense to suggest there has been one in the area for at least two years,it has been unpredictable in its behaviour. No regular roosting location has been identified which suggests it probably roosts deep in conifers in gardens. It was seen again last night flying towards Boldon Flats from the direction of Tilesheds and then later behind Cleadon Lea.
If I ever discover an accessible regular location I will let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back