• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the 8x32 Victory SF really worth almost 2.5x the cost of the 8x32 Conquest HD? (1 Viewer)

This thread ultimately saved me money. I am sticking with my Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42 and will get a new rifle instead lol
Victory SF is a nice upgrade, if you have the money to spend on it that isn't taking away from something else you would prefer to have.

In your case, if it's either/or, between upgrading from Conquest to SF, or getting the new rifle you desire - go for the rifle. More bang for the bucks. ;)

If you can afford to upgrade to SF AND buy the rifle, and you desire to do so... then I encourage you to do that. Life is short. Enjoy as much as you wish to and are able to. :) It's all about resources available and priorities.

Last edited:
These are both top-shelf binoculars, though obviously, the form factor differs dramatically.

Wonderful as the optical qualities of the SF are, I find the UVHD+ optics to offer just a touch more sharpness, clarity, and contrast. In addition, the color quality of the Leicas is, to me, magical: rich, saturated, punchy, delicious. I think the Leicas transmit just a bit more light in the red spectrum.

Everything about the UVHD+ binoculars (I have three of them: 8x32, 10x32, and 7x42) exudes outstanding quality - the build quality, the materials, the mechanical operation, the glass. The view is a little wider with the SF, but not to a degree that is significant to me. The sweet spot in the Leicas is wide and transitions very gently so as to not be very noticeable.

The focuser in the SF has a lighter touch, is very smooth. Both focusers are quick - which I like. The focuser in the UVHD+ isn't as light as the SF, but is perfectly smooth and even. If I could have the lighter Zeiss focuser in the UVHD+, I'd call the Leicas absolutely perfect.

The compact form factor of the UVHD+ is very appealing, making this an easy choice for carrying. It's not so small as to be at all fiddly, and is just large enough to provide a nice palm-filling hold. The armor is flawless and feels great - providing a very secure hand hold. The eyecups and relief work perfectly for me (I don't wear glasses when using binoculars.)

Aesthetically, the Leicas have a design that is classic, timeless, supremely elegant.

I alternate between the SFs and the UVHD+ models continually. It's difficult for me to fully commit to just one or the other, but I think if it came down to it, I'd stick with the Leicas, as they are just incredibly charming, delicious, lovable. You could almost say that they have character.

There are other great, awesome binoculars out there, but In my experience, nothing quite compares to these 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ binoculars. The 8x32 and 10x32 are virtually the same size and weight.
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how you find the CA in the ultravid 8x32?

Im a little sensitive to CA but have no problem with these binoculars. There is some CA noticeable when you get to the outer edges like many other quality binos. As well as a little bit can be seen on axis on very difficult lighted objects, like black birds or dark objects with water or sky behind it. otherwise 90 to 95% of the time I don’t see CA on objects. But the image is just so nice and pleasing , nobody does it like Leica.

Paul

Im a little sensitive to CA but have no problem with these binoculars. There is some CA noticeable when you get to the outer edges like many other quality binos. As well as a little bit can be seen on axis on very difficult lighted objects, like black birds or dark objects with water or sky behind it. otherwise 90 to 95% of the time I don’t see CA on objects. But the image is just so nice and pleasing , nobody does it like Leica.

Paul
Thanks so much for the reply. Ya I am really torn, I have a old beat up monarch 5 that the diopter is not working well anymore. I want to get something I really enjoy using, cost is not much of a factor but I wont pay extra if there isn't much of an upgrade. Have you looked through and compared your UVHD+ with noctivids? They were my first choice, but the 8x32 I am starting to consider now after reading peoples experience with them, I wish they came in a 8x32 (noctivid).

I tried some NL pure 8x42 and I didn't like the rolling ball/swarovision thing, made me nauseous. I am looking for the most pleasing view I can, and I love how you described your leicas :)
I am going to try out the conquest HD 8x32, SF 8x32, and I am also considering 8x32 FL off ebay, they still fetch a fair amount of $ though for used!

Thanks so much for the reply. Ya I am really torn, I have a old beat up monarch 5 that the diopter is not working well anymore. I want to get something I really enjoy using, cost is not much of a factor but I wont pay extra if there isn't much of an upgrade. Have you looked through and compared your UVHD+ with noctivids? They were my first choice, but the 8x32 I am starting to consider now after reading peoples experience with them, I wish they came in a 8x32 (noctivid).

I tried some NL pure 8x42 and I didn't like the rolling ball/swarovision thing, made me nauseous. I am looking for the most pleasing view I can, and I love how you described your leicas :)
I am going to try out the conquest HD 8x32, SF 8x32, and I am also considering 8x32 FL off ebay, they still fetch a fair amount of $ though for used!
Yes I have them both and have compared side by side, but the Nocs are 842 and UVHD are 832. Do you want the best most luscious, beautiful image and build quality, Go for the Noctivids!!!!

Its in my will to be berried with them😲. No globe effect, oh sooo bright and sharp and a creamy smooth focuser. In 32 ConquestHD is certainly in another league from monarch 5, but SF, Nocs and UVHD are in a league of there own. I say this, if you buy the conquest you’ll like them but always wonder what the SF, UVHD or Nocs (in 42) are like. If you buy the latter mentioned binos you’ll never look back and wonder what the conquests are like 🤣. If you got the money, go for it.
Paul

Yes I have them both and have compared side by side, but the Nocs are 842 and UVHD are 832. Do you want the best most luscious, beautiful image and build quality, Go for the Noctivids!!!!

Its in my will to be berried with them😲. No globe effect, oh sooo bright and sharp and a creamy smooth focuser. In 32 ConquestHD is certainly in another league from monarch 5, but SF, Nocs and UVHD are in a league of there own. I say this, if you buy the conquest you’ll like them but always wonder what the SF, UVHD or Nocs (in 42) are like. If you buy the latter mentioned binos you’ll never look back and wonder what the conquests are like 🤣. If you got the money, go for it.
Paul
Yes I heard the Nocs are on another level for Image quality! I’ll probably choose between them max UVHD 32 and SF 32’s. The only problem is the only shop that lets you try them out is 6 h drive from me! I’m going to call and see if I can buy them and send 2 back if I don’t attach any accessories. Thanks for the reply!

Hey Guys and Gals,

Nothing official here, and please don’t quote me, (I got friends in places 🤫) but do not be surprised if you see a 32mm Noctivid in the not too distant future!!!! 🤪🤤

With the open bridge maintained (with better separation of barrels).

Paul

Hey Guys and Gals,

Nothing official here, and please don’t quote me, (I got friends in places 🤫) but do not be surprised if you see a 32mm Noctivid in the not too distant future!!!! 🤪🤤

Paul

Noctivid 8x32s and 10x32s would be sweet, indeed.

My 42s (very nice as they are!) don't get nearly the grab up and use that my 32s get. I could happily live with just 32s, if need be - they're that good.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Paul
That would be super exciting if true, I might wait to buy my noctivid then!

That would be special..... But then again....that retro 7x35 sure hits the sweet spot..... tempting if a NOCT comes out but not sure if I would spring for it, if for the price.

I wonder how big and heavy they will be. The Ultravid 8x32 HD would be perfect for me if not the eye-relief as I wear glasses.
With Noctivid quality, even better. But then, if they are not that small, there is a lot of competition: Zeiss SF, NL Pure, even Zeiss SFL 8x40...

Hey Guys and Gals,

Paul
Hope they have moved the focus wheel. With my fingers wrapped around the barrels my first finger can't reach the focus wheel on the 42 so I have to move my hand towards the eyepieces, but if you do that there is no point in the open bridge layout. Gijs van Ginkel reported the same experience. Its a shame because they have that gorgeous Leica view.

Lee

Hope they have moved the focus wheel. With my fingers wrapped around the barrels my first finger can't reach the focus wheel on the 42 so I have to move my hand towards the eyepieces, but if you do that there is no point in the open bridge layout. Gijs van Ginkel reported the same experience. Its a shame because they have that gorgeous Leica view.

Lee
Yeah I don’t get that reach thing on the Nocs Lee. I don’t doubt it all it’s uncomfortable for you. but my wife is 5.2” and she uses them all the time we go out , it’s one of her favorites except for the weight. If we‘ll be doing any serious walking then , no way. Then it’s the retros followed by the UV832 for her.

You must have tiny hands 😆😜

Paul

Lee
On the 32’s, there barrels will be smaller in circumference so there will be more room between barrels and because they will be shorter the reach or hand position for the focuser will be closer. Thus will be much better for people with tiny hands 😜😉✌🏼🙏🏼.

Yeah I don’t get that reach thing on the Nocs Lee. I don’t doubt it all it’s uncomfortable for you. but my wife is 5.2” and she uses them all the time we go out , it’s one of her favorites except for the weight. If we‘ll be doing any serious walking then , no way. Then it’s the retros followed by the UV832 for her.

You must have tiny hands 😆😜

Paul
Judge the size of my hands for yourself, here they are holding a Zeiss SF 8x32....

Lee

IMG_4361.JPG

Judge the size of my hands for yourself, here they are holding a Zeiss SF 8x32....

Lee

View attachment 1450056
Wow ,you really do have tiny hands🤪, just kidding.

You know what Lee, we’ve became very spoiled with the SF focus position. It’s really revolutionary in its design how they positioned it in relation to the barrels/bridges. That one feature alone can easily be the deciding feature when considering a purchase of one of the top premiums available.
Paul

Wow ,you really do have tiny hands🤪, just kidding.

You know what Lee, we’ve became very spoiled with the SF focus position. It’s really revolutionary in its design how they positioned it in relation to the barrels/bridges. That one feature alone can easily be the deciding feature when considering a purchase of one of the top premiums available.
Paul
Zeiss positioned the focuser on the SFs in a very smart place. And, it's one of the most wonderful-to-use focusers possible, in the world of fine binoculars.

I, too, would hope that Leica positions their focusers farther from the ocular eyepieces, in future Noctivid offerings.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back