• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the 8x32 Victory SF really worth almost 2.5x the cost of the 8x32 Conquest HD? (1 Viewer)

Zeiss positioned the focuser on the SFs in a very smart place. And, it's one of the most wonderful-to-use focusers possible, in the world of fine binoculars.
The
I, too, would hope that Leica positions their focusers farther from the ocular eyepieces, in future Noctivid offerings.
Agreed, positioning and feel of focuser is perfect and buttery smooth. Probably the smoothest on the market, followed by the Noctivids and the previous available Nikon EDGs.

I know some have complained about the Noctivids focuser position , but I have no issues with it, and I find them to be a very comfortable fit in my hand, as well as the location of the focus wheel. And the smoothness is just like the SF, much improved on the Ultravid line. Many UV owners here, have complained about the stagy or stickiness. I’d like them to be a lighter or smoother, but here again I have no issues them either, probably because of the way they snap right into focus, no hunting, as you well know.

Paul

Agreed, positioning and feel of focuser is perfect and buttery smooth. Probably the smoothest on the market, followed by the Noctivids and the previous available Nikon EDGs.

I know some have complained about the Noctivids focuser position , but I have no issues with it, and I find them to be a very comfortable fit in my hand, as well as the location of the focus wheel. And the smoothness is just like the SF, much improved on the Ultravid line. Many UV owners here, have complained about the stagy or stickiness. I’d like them to be a lighter or smoother, but here again I have no issues them either, probably because of the way they snap right into focus, no hunting, as you well know.

Paul
Paul
Just to explain what my beef about the position of the focus wheel on Noctivid is all about, take a look at the pic below. The guy has moved his hands up from the barrels to reach the focuser. This is more or less how I end up and if I can't keep all three fingers around the barrels it seems to me the open hinge design simply doesn't work on Noctivid. Of course you can still get to the focus and use it just as this guy has done but to me it makes the open hinge design pointless on this model.

Lee
leica-noctivid-binoculars-ergonomics.jpg

Paul
Just to explain what my beef about the position of the focus wheel on Noctivid is all about, take a look at the pic below. The guy has moved his hands up from the barrels to reach the focuser. This is more or less how I end up and if I can't keep all three fingers around the barrels it seems to me the open hinge design simply doesn't work on Noctivid. Of course you can still get to the focus and use it just as this guy has done but to me it makes the open hinge design pointless on this model.

Lee
View attachment 1450665
Lee
For me are two things here to unwrap, the first of course is the focus position, I’m not finding the position or reach much different, if at all (see a few photos attached) from other bins, excluding the SF of course, which as you described as wonderful in the hand. I generally don’t/can’t use one hand to hold 42mm bins weighing 30oz , so when I do use that hold like in the picture, Im usually using two hands, so it’s comfortable. More of an issue for me than focus position is the open bridge, these don’t have enough room to wrap my fingers around the barrel once I set the IPD. That could be because of narrow eye spacing or fat fingers. But even if the forward bridge was not there (no open bridge) it wouldn’t make a difference.

The other thing, maybe you can explain, is why it has been called an open bridge ? To me it always seems like a double bridge, a bridge near the eyepieces and one at the objective lenses.

My hands on 1 & 2 on Nocs, 3 wife’s hands, 4 GPO, now that’s a stretch, yet not one review mentions focus position.

Paul

Attachments

• 9E9F7D78-E2F1-485A-80B7-1C2F236ABDB9.jpeg
    9E9F7D78-E2F1-485A-80B7-1C2F236ABDB9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 2C7671DC-E623-4922-9575-8560984BFBA1.jpeg
    2C7671DC-E623-4922-9575-8560984BFBA1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 277C42A6-C886-4566-B69B-96FCA100FAEB.jpeg
    277C42A6-C886-4566-B69B-96FCA100FAEB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 5FA14964-0FDB-4076-B7D2-4A3329FC2CF4.jpeg
    5FA14964-0FDB-4076-B7D2-4A3329FC2CF4.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
I know the Conquests are highly regarded here and obviously by you as well. I’ve owned three copies and they were all hard to keep in focus and I eliminated the focus speed as the problem. Looked through the SFs and no such problem for me. I only wish they were within my budget! I’d go for it. Life is short

Lee
For me are two things here to unwrap, the first of course is the focus position, I’m not finding the position or reach much different, if at all (see a few photos attached) from other bins, excluding the SF of course, which as you described as wonderful in the hand. I generally don’t/can’t use one hand to hold 42mm bins weighing 30oz , so when I do use that hold like in the picture, Im usually using two hands, so it’s comfortable. More of an issue for me than focus position is the open bridge, these don’t have enough room to wrap my fingers around the barrel once I set the IPD. That could be because of narrow eye spacing or fat fingers. But even if the forward bridge was not there (no open bridge) it wouldn’t make a difference.

The other thing, maybe you can explain, is why it has been called an open bridge ? To me it always seems like a double bridge, a bridge near the eyepieces and one at the objective lenses.

My hands on 1 & 2 on Nocs, 3 wife’s hands, 4 GPO, now that’s a stretch, yet not one review mentions focus position.

Paul
From your photos, no, it doesn't look like much of a stretch at all to reach the focuser. For your wife, even. And I agree on the term "open bridge". It seems to me that open bridge would be the term applied to a single bridge. Single bridge and double bridge apply much more sensibly to the two designs.

I know the Conquests are highly regarded here and obviously by you as well. I’ve owned three copies and they were all hard to keep in focus and I eliminated the focus speed as the problem. Looked through the SFs and no such problem for me. I only wish they were within my budget! I’d go for it. Life is short
In eight years of using Conquest HD 8x32 and 10x42, I don't understand the issue you had with "hard to keep in focus"? They've been superb to use, in my experience.

In eight years of using Conquest HD 8x32 and 10x42, I don't understand the issue you had with "hard to keep in focus"? They've been superb to use, in my experience.
I am wondering too about the stated inability to keep things in focus. I found it took me a little while to get used to the fast focus of my 8x32 Conquest vs. the slower focusing of my other binoculars. But once I became comfortable with it quickly and never had problems with views going out of focus. Objects snapped into focus quickly and stayed in focus for me.

Lee

Paul
Hi Paul, well, we are all different and I wouldn't like to manipulate my first finger in the way that you do in 2 of your photos. Too much like torture to me. Your pics remind me of the photo of the boss of Swarovski contorting here finger to reach the the focus wheel of an EL (see final pic below). But hey if you are fine with it then good for you.

Regarding your question about 'open hinge', first see the pic of the Zeiss Conquest HD below. The hinge is under the focus wheel and occupies a generous portion of the length of the barrels, You can't grip your fingers around the barrels here because the long hinge occupies this space. We could call this design 'solid hinge'. If you were to wrap your fingers around these barrels even you would be struggling to reach the focuser. Alongside it is our favourite SF32 and the solid hinge has been replaced by series of slim bridges with a decent open space under the focuser which now falls naturally under your first finger. This open space gives us the name 'open hinge' because by comparison with the old style Conquest's hinge, it really is open, not closed.

Lee

1654611194284.png1654611561052.pngCSS2.jpg

Hi Upland. It is hard to understand quite what you mean by this. The focus wheel would not move itself, something has to move it. So do you mean you could not stop your focusing finger from nudging the wheel unintentionally and that the fast focus speed meant that a small nudge knocked the image significantly out of focus?

Lee

I lifted this photo some weeks back, apologies to original poster, cant find you. Seems the SFL, NL32 and SF32 have all found this sweet spot you're describing. The NL42 at the right, being taller seems higher, but is not when compared with SF42, (we need a pic of that admittedly). My very limited experience with SF/NLs suggests that the wasp waisted NL coerces your hands up towards the hinge, facilitates this finger/focuser alignment, even maybe enhances. That said, as the usual contrarian, I have no problems with my EL42 focuser location... either.

IMG_0400.jpeg

Hi Paul, well, we are all different and I wouldn't like to manipulate my first finger in the way that you do in 2 of your photos. Too much like torture to me. Your pics remind me of the photo of the boss of Swarovski contorting here finger to reach the the focus wheel of an EL (see final pic below). But hey if you are fine with it then good for you.

Regarding your question about 'open hinge', first see the pic of the Zeiss Conquest HD below. The hinge is under the focus wheel and occupies a generous portion of the length of the barrels, You can't grip your fingers around the barrels here because the long hinge occupies this space. We could call this design 'solid hinge'. If you were to wrap your fingers around these barrels even you would be struggling to reach the focuser. Alongside it is our favourite SF32 and the solid hinge has been replaced by series of slim bridges with a decent open space under the focuser which now falls naturally under your first finger. This open space gives us the name 'open hinge' because by comparison with the old style Conquest's hinge, it really is open, not closed.

Lee

View attachment 1450731View attachment 1450733View attachment 1450735
You’re not getting any disagreements with me when it comes to the SF, phenomenal haptic design. I wonder how much of the complaints on the Noctivids are born out of the fact that they came out after the SF as Leica’s answer to the SF, and the focuser is not as well placed as the SF, none are. Maybe I should’ve elaborated better, I don’t seem to think the focus knob position on the Nocs is much different than any other binoculars on the market. And none of those binoculars are as good as the SF focus wheel location.

I agree, I see the conquest, meopta, Genesis all as single or mono hinge (bridge). I see the Noctivids, EL, SF as double hinge/bridge. Anyway to each his own.

Has anybody previously complained about the focus wheel location on the EL (32 here) or the EDG (42 here)? Just wondering.

Paul

Attachments

• 572529D7-4B55-4B46-B52B-EAD0E7D793EB.jpeg
    572529D7-4B55-4B46-B52B-EAD0E7D793EB.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • C7CB4D3A-6FBA-4BD4-A1D3-58E08FB08898.jpeg
    C7CB4D3A-6FBA-4BD4-A1D3-58E08FB08898.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
We have both the SF 8x42 (Ruff-leg) and the 8x32 (Reeve-leg). We find their ergonomics exceptional. Since they're not electrical, they don't have haptics.

Sorry, pet peeve. I'll get my hat...

We have both the SF 8x42 (Ruff-leg) and the 8x32 (Reeve-leg). We find their ergonomics exceptional. Since they're not electrical, they don't have haptics.

Sorry, pet peeve. I'll get my hat...
I think that went over my head, bounced off the wall and through the open window 🤭

Hi Upland. It is hard to understand quite what you mean by this. The focus wheel would not move itself, something has to move it. So do you mean you could not stop your focusing finger from nudging the wheel unintentionally and that the fast focus speed meant that a small nudge knocked the image significantly out of focus?

Lee
What I mean Lee is they are incredibly hard to get in focus in the first place. Then when I look for or aft the slightest bit everything is out of focus. Constantly fiddling with focus would be a better way to describe this. I attribute this to very little of the depth of focus being in focus. If that wasn’t the case objects on on side ( in front or behind ) should be in focus. I’ve read many reviews that say the same thing about them being hard to focus. I’ve also used plenty of binos with fast focus that don’t have this problem (at least for me) The SF is a gem. Very easy to get in focus and plenty of good focus for and aft of the subject. I’m not putting down the Conquests just reporting what I’ve experienced. So many folks love them that I’m sure they are great. Just don’t work for me or a significant amount of others because of the focus issue.

BTW. The reason I’ve owned three pairs is that I SO wanted them to work for. I love that Zeiss makes extended eyecups as they make all the difference in fitting my face the way I like. Unfortunately they don’t solve the focus problem. BTW I love the eyecups. Yes they are a tiny bit difficult to adjust but they never are going to fall down. A pet peeve of mine. Plus they are removable for cleaning the lenses.

What I mean Lee is they are incredibly hard to get in focus in the first place. Then when I look for or aft the slightest bit everything is out of focus. Constantly fiddling with focus would be a better way to describe this. I attribute this to very little of the depth of focus being in focus. If that wasn’t the case objects on on side ( in front or behind ) should be in focus. I’ve read many reviews that say the same thing about them being hard to focus. I’ve also used plenty of binos with fast focus that don’t have this problem (at least for me) The SF is a gem. Very easy to get in focus and plenty of good focus for and aft of the subject. I’m not putting down the Conquests just reporting what I’ve experienced. So many folks love them that I’m sure they are great. Just don’t work for me or a significant amount of others because of the focus issue.
Sorry they don't work for you. Depth of focus is entirely dependent on magnification so for example all 8x binoculars have the same depth of focus.

Lee

Lee

View attachment 1450731View attachment 1450733View attachment 1450735
I don’t think the picture show it well because we can’t the depth. If you notice in the pictire the index finger is perfectly straight across (no contortion) the focus wheel and the second finger also straight, it’s resting on the rear bridge/hinge, which by the way is almost level with the focus wheel making it a comfortable hold. But is not stable enough for me for a one hand hold , with two hands holding the bins this is very natural for most who’ve tried this hold. I still prefer the traditional hold with three finger around the barrel and index finger for focusing.

The Swarovski rep is definitely reaching on those 42’s, I think she needs an SF.

Paul

I don’t think the picture show it well because we can’t the depth. If you notice in the pictire the index finger is perfectly straight across (no contortion) the focus wheel and the second finger also straight, it’s resting on the rear bridge/hinge, which by the way is almost level with the focus wheel making it a comfortable hold. But is not stable enough for me for a one hand hold , with two hands holding the bins this is very natural for most who’ve tried this hold. I still prefer the traditional hold with three finger around the barrel and index finger for focusing.

The Swarovski rep is definitely reaching on those 42’s, I think she needs an SF.

Paul
The Swarovski 'rep' is Carina Schiestel-Swarovski and is the boss!

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back