• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (4 Viewers)

So does this mean that EVERYONE now has their own thread?
Well, I am truly behind the times then. I will try to catch up eventually.
Maybe even start my own thread...actually I think I have one out there somewhere.

'Angry' was the exact word my instructor used to describe this painting. Hmmmm...

Hi Beth - glad you're re-finding painting. Looks like it was never very far away, really. I love this, the rhythm of the spokes and the looseness of the brushwork (there's a lot of similarity in the way you paint, and the way you sculpt. Then again, I suppose that wouldn't be all that surprising, really). One thing I've always admired and have never been able to do myself, is to use brush technique such as you have, free and expressive, and to apply them to more figrative pieces. I suppose therein lies that weird alchemy we call Art. Keep posting the paintings Beth - a breath of fresh air.

Painting does just kind suck you in. I am really loving it. I will just have to figure out how to work it all together (clay and painting) at some point. Speaking of which, if I get a chance to get a shot of it, I have this wood sculpture I did recently. Strangely enough, it also has that looseness of line in it.

It is good to be back.

I seem to remember a certain Mr Keeble starting out on a Great Burstardy chair thing or something. You've just reminded me of it, Beth. Oi Ed - where's the chair?
Let's also see the wood sculpture, Beth?

I'm still here is anyone else?;)

Attached are the only things i've had the time to get round to doing, a Common and Rough legged Buzzard sketch done with watercolour and a Swallowtail butterfly study, done with some felt tip pens,( new media for me so not great, the top was my first attempt and the bottom my finished go, I did use tracing paper to get the wings symetrical (cheat!) and there is to much black in the wings, but atleast I enjoyed doing it!) All comments/criticism/witicism/insults/feedback/critique wanted.
cheers
Steve

Attachments

• buzzardsketch.jpg
    buzzardsketch.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 80
  • swallowfelttip1.jpg
    swallowfelttip1.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 74
  • swallowtailfelttip2.jpg
    swallowtailfelttip2.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Those are really great Steve!

Here is a Canada Warbler I did yesterday. Don't be too harsh.... ;)

Attachments

• Canada Warbler001resized2.jpg
    Canada Warbler001resized2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks Josh, I love your Canada warbler, it's beautiful too. Thanks Nick, here's another one I did with the felt tip pens, the left legs is dodgy and so are the colours, but I quite like it.

Attachments

• ringed-plover.jpg
    ringed-plover.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 91
you're right to like it - it's bold, and the way you've treated it (in a simple, stark way) adds greatly to the excitement of the moment. Ringed plovers are great birds to draw - I miss them a lot!

Steve - this ringed plover distracting is a splendid little piece - keep on in this way, as Nick says, bold and confident with a strong graphic feel (I disagree about the leg, though- I think you've got the posture spot on).
Josh - nice treatment of the warbler. I like this subtle monochrome background, offers enough habitat information whilst allowing the star to shine.
Good work guys!

I've missed some nice work here.
Josh, the warbler is a great composition and there is something indefinably charming about it.
Steve, I was watching a ringed plover doing just what you've depicted only this weekend. Have you ever thought about screen printing? That bold treatment would suit it very well I reckon.

Mike

I was thinking of screen printing also--I swear it! that's where I would go with work like that. Really a nice piece, Steve.
Josh, your warbler is lovely and like Tim said that monochrome background is a nice touch.

Thanks Tim, Mike and Birdpotter for your kind words. I've had a look at screen printing on the internet and my mum had a book on it. Doesnt look a paticularly easy thing to set up in my bedroom, my desks untidy enough as it is! So I think i'll stick with the felt tips for a while (or at least until I get some more watercolour paper!) Thanks for the ideas anyway.

Morning all,
Thanks for the blog feedback tim, do you mind if I put a link up to yours on my links bit?
Here's my latest attempt at art, a Speckled Wood. It's the first i've done in watercolour for a long time and I think i've really overworked it. The contrast in the wings isn't as pronounced as it appears on the photo.
Cheers
Steve

Attachments

• DSCN0775bf.jpg
    DSCN0775bf.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 79
Lovely pic Steve.You may want to try when doing detail in water colour,don't overload the brush try a dryer technique.sueeze it out and just pick up a little colour on the tip of the brush and then you can blend the colours inwith out a hard line.

Cheers guys, i'll certainly give Arthurs tip a go, probably not on this piece, I would hate to ruin it! I'll try and get one done over the next week, it's a great way to take the mind off impending GCSE's.

It's a lovely study Steve - well done. A & N offer wise words - take them on board when you work next.
I'd be delighted to be 'linked' - cheers.
Good work - keep it up!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back