• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (5 Viewers)

Au secours mon Robert* Paschalis! Excellent stuff

A couple of recent painting attempts - following a trip to Washington state attached.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS *Nick can translate into a well known Scottish phrase and correct my duff spelling

I like these two- the painting style in the horned lark background would (to my eye) sit well on a ceramic or a 3D object. Very convincing b'foot albatross too.

Two more cracking images Andrew - both showing your 'trademark' structured drawing technique. really rounded, whole birds and as Ed says, brilliant albatross pic. Excellent flight study.

Wow!!! Some fantastic stuff in here. There is so much to catch up on! I have to go out of town one more time then I should be back for a while anyway. Here are some recent paintings. The two Canada paintings are finished and the orca painting is in progress (with a way to go yet). I think I am going to add a few gulls and perhaps a bald eagle sitting ont the rocks in the background.

Attachments

• fedcg2sm.jpg
    fedcg2sm.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 70
  • river geese5sm.jpg
    river geese5sm.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 73
  • orcas.jpg
    orcas.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 78
Andrew, those are gorgeous! Peter once I'd wiped the drool off the screen it became easier to see what superb paintings these latest trio are.

Wow!

Mike

So much to catch up with on the forum, I'll just have to settle for a quick 'everything an inspiration', trusting that you'll understand that I'm better at appreciating great art than I am at writing comments about it!

Birds and orcas? Could not ask for more! Or maybe a wolf in the background... But seriously, some of my favorite things depicted here, and in such a beautiful way!!! Love the atmosphere!

Elina

Superb Peter, really atmospheric. Every painting of yours I see makes me want to paint water! I'm hoping the inspiration will eventually pay off.

wonderful painting - I love how not one animal or bird is centre stage, there are bits of orcas, and distant gulls and eagle, this picture is pure atmosphere.

Beautiful......In fact I'm sat here jaw dropped wide open enjoying your wonderful paintings on your website Peter.

Last edited:
Another in a long line of jaw-droppers, Peter. Again, your ability to transport the viewer to that special place where they can share your observations and experiences is extraordinary. Art ought to be about celebration (in my opinion) and yours is just that - wonderful.

There was something off about the orcas so I made a couple of changes... The whales themselves didn't look 'wet' enough and the gulls in the background looked to be standing 'two-by-two', which didn't seem very natural, so I added a couple more. The image on the left is the updated version. It's also interesting to see how the camera has manipulated the colors. The updated version is actually a bit truer color wise.

Attachments

• orcas2sm.jpg
    orcas2sm.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 72
  • orcas1sm.jpg
    orcas1sm.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 84
Must say I hadn't seen any repetition in the original and it's testament to your attention to detail and care in you rcraft that you have. But now it's been pointed out, the changes, subtle though they are, are valid and contibute to an extremely beautiful painting. Leave it alone now, Peter ;)

The subtle changes have achieved the near impossible and actually improved on what was a damn near perfect painting in the first place...Brilliant.

Mike

I agree with the above learned gentlemen, but now it's really excellent, don't be tempted to push it too far! I can feel the mist on my face in this one, so much atmosphere (how many times have we used that word about this picture???)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back