• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Kingfisher this morning on the River Cole & several birds feeding on insects over the water.
In my back garden a Magpie fledged.

After the Kingfisher on the Cole, 2 Swifts skimming over the Valley Parkway boating pond. Loads of fish in the pond, a few types including Sticklebacks fanning their nests. 2 Herons on the Bourn. Great!

As on the Trittiford thread, Kingfisher yesterday and today.
Yesterday there were loads of stickleback in the River Rea at Selly Park. Some fanning and protecting nests.
No KF but of course a Heron near by.
Also KF size fish at the River Rea, Wychall Lane where I could hear constant chirping in a willow tree and it was 4 Nuthatch feeding. There was a juvenile Robin and a male Bullfinch that posed for a few photos lol.

In my back garden the Bullfinch pair visited again checking out the same bush but 2 Squirrels were poking about.
In my pond some tadpoles now have legs and still a tail and are starting to make a getaway.
Out of the front I could hear more of the same chirping and it was another family of Nuthatch.

A great visit to the River Cole and Babbs Mill lake which was very picturesque in the early morning sun.
Loads of fish in the River Cole, too big for a KF.
Then at the Babbs Mill lake inlet there was a Heron, GCG and Little Egret.
Then I spotted a Kingfisher flying from the reeds to the trees. It flew pretty slowly.
Then it flew back and dived for a fish as it did.
Then I heard Reed Warblers.
I could hear some noise from the river and it was a Female Goosander, which disappeared pretty quickly.
Also 10+ Swifts flying high and low over the lake.
Pretty good.

Last edited:
After the Kingfisher on the River Cole, the Bourn Brook is not looking so good. Low murky water in places. At the bridge the Heron cooly walked up towards me, keeping an eye on me and then flew to the side of me to pass. What a Heron! Great!

Kingfisher on the River Cole in the morning.
In the afternoon we were in Highgate near the Birmingham centre so I took a look at the River Rea.
There were a few Mallards, one with chicks
Then a Grey Wagtail appeared & successfully caught a flying insect. Then another passed by.

As on the Trittiford thread I got a Kingfisher photo;
https://flic.kr/p/LLk9EQ
I went out for a run along the Bourn Brook, River Rea & Bourn. There were 3 Grey Wagtails along the Bourn Brook. The best along the Rea was tiny juvenile Wrens.
I read all the fish in the Valley Parkway boating pond died due to the heat. There was a Heron fishing on the intake & a few Swifts flying over.

Got my FIRST King sighting of the year....lol....at Feckenham pool....this used to be the only place to go for them some years ago but things change and they are a rare sight here now.

Hi Keith, nice one, yes finding a Kingfisher these days is difficult especially in Birmingham.
None on the Rea or Bourn Brook.
This morning it was the regular Kingfisher along the River Cole,

Last edited:
After the Kingfisher on the River Cole I checked out Manor Farm Park.
I was expecting fish in the brook at the back but there were very few.
However in the lake there were more small fish than I have ever seen. There were thousands.
The Coots and Mallards were chasing them.
They sent ripples across the water as they swam away.
Not so good were some dead larger fish, perhaps due to the heat. I reported it to the EA.
At Valley Parkway boating pond and in the brook it looks like a female Mallard has had Tufted Duck chicks.
There were Swifts over Bournville most of the morning.

There were Swifts over Bournville most of the morning.

There have been dozens of Swifts over Bournville all summer. I'm guessing I'm probably more conscious this year due to the early reports of reduced numbers, but if anything I'd say there's more than usual around. Regular feeding groups of 5/6 at rooftop height, and larger groups (20+) almost daily.

There have been dozens of Swifts over Bournville all summer. I'm guessing I'm probably more conscious this year due to the early reports of reduced numbers, but if anything I'd say there's more than usual around. Regular feeding groups of 5/6 at rooftop height, and larger groups (20+) almost daily.

Nice one Rob. Some making their way over to the Weoley Castle side.
The Kingfisher again on the River Cole;
https://flic.kr/p/27BLB7D

Last edited:
Early morning the Kingfisher along the River Cole.
I checked out the River Rea in the afternoon not expecting to see much. Then in the distance I saw a bird flying along the top of the water, it looked like a Kingfisher. Then I caught up with it and it flew from the side. Then finally I saw it's blue colour. That's about 3 months since I've seen a Kingfisher along this stretch. On my way back there was a Little Egret.

Last edited:
Kingfisher on the River Cole.
I thought I best check the Bourn Brook but no KF but small fish, Heron & a Grey Wagtail.
Still small fish in Manor Farm lake inlet & the Bourn.

After the Kingfisher at Trittiford, a Kingfisher, River Cole, Babbs Mill with Little Egrets, Herons, Buzzard, Starlings, Sparrows. 1000s of tiny fish in the Cole, then KF size and too big for Heron.

The Kingfisher on the Cole.
Not that many fish on the Bourn Brook but good to see some tiny fish fry and a Stickleback fanning & protecting it's nest by the blue bridge. Also fish & fry by the roundabout where the Kingfisher used to fish for them.
Then Nuthatch in the usual spot & Greenfinch by the roundabout.

The usual KF on the River Cole.
None on the Rea, Bourn Brook or Bourn but KF fish, the most in the Bourn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back