• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kyocera SL400R (Contax SL300RT clone) (5 Viewers)

Kyocera 4mp

Hi Andy,

I'm very new in digiscoping, so it can be helpfull to know what kind of lens you use with the Kyocera. I own a Contax U4R wich is the same, I think.
As a new member of this forum, I want to say a little "hello" from Paris to other users.

Dominique

Andy Holt said:
A spare battery is going to be an essential addition (on the plus side it seems to charge up quite quickly, even when charged in camera, a fast charger is available (see contax thread for a cheaper third party option))

QUOTE]

Andy -- I've searched, but I can't find the "contax thread" you're talking about that lists a third party option for a contax charger. Sorry, I've searched. I'm new to the site, so am in unfamiliar teritory. Can you direct me? Great reading so far. Thanks.

I will be making another batch of battery packs for the Kyocera SL400/ Contax 300, when I receive some more plugs. Around 40 Bird Forum members have now purchased these from me and I am currently out of stock. They are £6 inclusive of postage.

Regards

Mark

Edited due to price change.

Last edited:
eagle eye thread adapter kit

:t: :t:
Andy Holt said:
28mm thread adapter means it'll fit straight on to my existing digiscoping adapter (I did however, have to beg one of thesze from Kyocera, as the Kyocera cameras do not ship with this little plastic gizmo, wheras the Contax version does)

I have started using the Kyocera sl400r but instead of using the little contax 28mm adapter I purchased the eagle eye thread adapter. This means you do not have the camera weight hanging on the little lens hood. Instead all the weight hangs via a clamp-on aluminium fitting - very robust.

After digiscoping with a cp4500 for a couple of years I've just got hold of a Kyocera sl400r to try. I'd been put of changing mainly because of the macro features of the coolipx (but now have a macro lens for my slr so it's not the same concern).
My initial impression of the Kyocera is great - it's small, light and much faster than the coolpix, though you don't seem to have quite as much control with it. Having always used my coolpix handheld I have been trying the Kyocera in the same way and have found that it is not so easy to line up quickly. However I have tryed it with the eagle-eye lens thread (and the opticron cradle mount) attahced - this is a perfect fit for my Leica eyepeice - it slides in and instantly lines up.
Attached is a shot taken handheld (without the cradle mount), and normal quality (I only have a small sd card for testing). Personally I'm impressed with the camera and have a feeling that with practice it will take shot comparable to the coolpix. The only slight doubt about getting one woudl be the extra spend on the cradle mount, spare battery and memory cards - is it worth making the change?

Attachments

• kyo_hs01.jpg
    kyo_hs01.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 176
postcardcv said:
After digiscoping with a cp4500 for a couple of years I've just got hold of a Kyocera sl400r to try. I'd been put of changing mainly because of the macro features of the coolipx (but now have a macro lens for my slr so it's not the same concern).
My initial impression of the Kyocera is great - it's small, light and much faster than the coolpix, though you don't seem to have quite as much control with it. Having always used my coolpix handheld I have been trying the Kyocera in the same way and have found that it is not so easy to line up quickly. However I have tryed it with the eagle-eye lens thread (and the opticron cradle mount) attahced - this is a perfect fit for my Leica eyepeice - it slides in and instantly lines up.
Attached is a shot taken handheld (without the cradle mount), and normal quality (I only have a small sd card for testing). Personally I'm impressed with the camera and have a feeling that with practice it will take shot comparable to the coolpix. The only slight doubt about getting one woudl be the extra spend on the cradle mount, spare battery and memory cards - is it worth making the change?

I'm still very impressed with the Kyocera but I have just upgraded to an Olympus C-7070. The main reason was I wanted bigger files (it's 7.1megs and has RAW Mode ) and I wanted better quality against the light and over water. The Kyocera is also noisy over iso100 which limits the speed in low light. We have had 3 out of the last 4 months in dull light here in HK. The Kyocera needs a lot of back up batteries and I suspect it is only an interim solution to the lack of speed of the CP4500. Due to it's speed you also need a big memory card . I have a 1 gig card in mine.) The Olympus uses the same battery as the Nikon D100 and lasts all day. I bought a battery pack for the Kyocera and it is the only way to go. The Olympus is a far better camera than the CP4500 and the Kyocera and there are some very good prices on it on the internet (under US$400 ). This technology doesn't stand still.Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back