• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lee Thickett (Troubador) - R.I.P. (1 Viewer)

No topic is suppressed as much as one's own mortality, but if faced with a terminal illness, the thought becomes a constant companion.
Lee, with frequent trips to his beloved Hebrides, made the most of the time he had left.
I think he would have had few regrets.

John
I’m very sorry to hear this news. Rest in peace, Lee. Your posts and moderating were well done and reasonable and much appreciated.

So sad to hear this. Lee was such a gentleman and had an amazing wealth of optics knowledge that he shared so freely. Several times I asked him questions via pm and he always sent me thorough and thoughtful replies.

I do know it bothered him when we bickered over silly opinions and especially when our remarks were cutting. I’ve been guilty of this myself. Perhaps in his honor we can try to be more civil in our discussions. I’m sure he would appreciate that.

Lee and I met the first time at the Birdfair.
It is fair to say he had 'Blue' blood with an open mind for all other brands.
He was the one who tought me to look to every discussion from both sides.
Like Upland stated: "Let us, in his honor, try to be more civil in our discussions and when it does gets 'toxic' let some of us intervene with the words "Mind you, Lee is watching".

Aileen, can't imagine what you are going trough but we wish you all the strength.

Jan

Lee has been immensely helpful for me as a new binocular lover/wildlife observer. His advice, guidance, and contributions always felt so congenial and respectful and kind with the wisdom of many decades of life experience behind them.

The last message he sent me back in February was, "I have been called a few things during my lifetime but this is the first time anyone has called me a sage. Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy everything you see through your binos and stay safe." - Thanks for everything, Lee, and you as well.

The two occasions when I met Lee and Aileen were each time to buy Zeiss binoculars from him — well used on otter projects and on their trips to Scotland but looked after and In like new condition. The memories I hold are of meeting them at Castor Hanglands nature reserve from their drive from Sheffield. I learnt a lot about nature — birds and insects — as well as enjoying Lee and Aileen's company and conversation. Since then we shared occasional emails and as it happens I thought of Lee only two days ago while on a trip to a very wet and windy Devon. The conditions out in the rain-sodden countryside put me in mind of his hours in all conditions observing nature on Scottish islands. Sadly it was only a day later that I learnt from Quincy of Lee's death. RIP, Lee.

Tom

It's taken me some time to process the fact that Lee is no longer with us, hence my delay in posting here. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few times at the Birdfair pre-Covid and he was in person as convivial as he was on this forum.

As all of you have noted, to lose his experience and knowledge is immensely sad but the digital Lee will of course remain.

That though does nothing to diminish the loss that Aileen, his family and 'real world' friends will feel.

RIP my friend.

A post that helps us know what we lost in this man.
--Rob.

I only just found out moments ago. I have not been on the forum as often as I used to be in years past and had no idea he was dealing with a terminal illness or that he passed almost two months ago. I remember some years ago, I was having a somewhat rough exchange with another member and Lee posted to me, "Steady on, mate!" So British and for whatever reason, that stuck with me for years. Unlike many of you, I didn't know him other than his online presence here but when one reads something like this, you are reminded that real people are behind their words posted online. I think that's forgotten so often in today's digital world. I am saddened by this news more than I might have imagined. I hope his family finds peace going forward.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back