• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica and chromatic aberration (5 Viewers)

I also prefer the texture/molding of the Trinovid focus wheel over the UV. The UV also seems to have a rubber inlay, I prefer the molded form on Trinovid wheel.
I've gone a bit silly with this hobby, I can't afford what I've got but hey I don't drink or smoke. Any one binocular would be enough, I was aiming currently for a compact (8x25, got that one sorted out) and a 42 but now I don't want to let go of the UV or the Trinovid and then there's the EDG 8x32 which is probably better than all of them but doesn't fit in with my strategy either.
Anyway I'm having fun, I'm currently selling off some and no doubt more will go and some will stay.

I tell myself something very similar; I don't spend $ on vacations/trips, entertainment like bars , concerts or theatre and I don't drink or smoke. So, I might as well buy something I really want every so often and there's nothing wrong with that.

Some months back this year, I briefly had a Zeiss FL 8x32. Sometimes I feel a little regret about not keeping it. At the time I needed some things like new clothing, shoes/boots, coats, etc. These were things that I definitely needed and I felt I shouldn't have spent the $ on the FL and experienced a little guilt about the expensive optics purchase. Also, the smaller exit pupil was a little tough to adjust to after using the 7x42 for a long time. So, I decided I'll just have only my 7x42 which does it all for me and is most comfortable with my glasses. However, I do think I miss the little FL and wonder if I should buy it again down the road. Right now I don't really have it in the budget though. Currently it's just the Leica and it has been years since I've owned just one binocular. It's really all I need, but sometimes I think how nice that little FL is and want it not b/c I need it , but just b/c it's such a nice binocular and I know I would enjoy it.

I remember the Trinovid sort of flattening out at the tops of the tubes and thought that was a nice ergonomic design. The Noctivids look like they have this as well.

One think I liked about the focus of the Trinnie was the texture on the focus wheels. I think I like this texture better than the Ultravid. It seems the same on the Noctivid, so they definitely borrowed from the previous Trinovid in their new Trinovid HD and Noctivid exterior designs.

Spot on. The 'flattening out' on the top sides of the tubes on the NV is exactly the same as it is on the 2012-15 Trinovid. Leica obviously liked this design and carried it over from that Trinovid to the NV.

Again, I agree. The texture and design of the focus wheel on the NV is taken directly from the old Triny (minus the split diopter mechanism). Although the new Trinovid HD also shares these features it looks and feels much cheaper in it's design and manufacture than the old Triny. The build quality of the 2012-15 Trinovid, UV and NV is indistinguishable.

I've thought more than once that the look and feel of my Trinovid and Noctivid are (apart from the bridge design) more similar to each other than either is to the UV.

Had some amazing views through the 7x42 today. Bright, crisp and sharp maybe even "sparkling" with excellent colour.
Watched scaley breasted and rainbow lorikeets, eastern rosellas, little corellas and sulphur crested cockatoos nesting in hollows in big old trees.
Certainly couldn't say that the view was anything short of excellent.
I should add that I also noticed the extra DOF but also a fairly striking 3D effect, perhaps due to the extra DOF. Something that is generally more associated with porros.
While I haven't compared side by side, I also noticed that the DOF of the 7x42 doesn't seem to be as much as my 7x50, not sure if that computes but it sure looks that way? Of course the 3D effect by comparison to the 7x50 porros was not on the same level either, apples and oranges though.

Last edited:
Yep, that's the 7x42 UVHD+! :t:

Indeed, no doubt amongst the best.

Regarding closest focus on both the UV and Trinovid, I can get them to focus within 2.5m. I haven't got a tape out to measure but my best judgement tells me it can't be more than 2.5m. Just a thought.

A rough and quick test in the living room, was curious, looks to be about 2.3m with the 7x42

Last edited:
Had some amazing views through the 7x42 today. Bright, crisp and sharp maybe even "sparkling" with excellent colour.
Watched scaley breasted and rainbow lorikeets, eastern rosellas, little corellas and sulphur crested cockatoos nesting in hollows in big old trees.
Certainly couldn't say that the view was anything short of excellent.
I should add that I also noticed the extra DOF but also a fairly striking 3D effect, perhaps due to the extra DOF. Something that is generally more associated with porros.
While I haven't compared side by side, I also noticed that the DOF of the 7x42 doesn't seem to be as much as my 7x50, not sure if that computes but it sure looks that way? Of course the 3D effect by comparison to the 7x50 porros was not on the same level either, apples and oranges though.

I knew you just needed some more time with it for it to shine. I didn't want to push that too much however and sound like a super fan. It did take me a full week or so to say to myself...wow, this is a fantastic bino. I knew it was nice from the start , but over time in different conditions it really began to sink in how good it is. I find it's really better than most of my previous owned binos for dull/dreary days and really shows off ("sparkles") when the sun is out.

The deeper DOF of lower power bins is very nice :t:

I knew you just needed some more time with it for it to shine. I didn't want to push that too much however and sound like a super fan. It did take me a full week or so to say to myself...wow, this is a fantastic bino. I knew it was nice from the start , but over time in different conditions it really began to sink in how good it is. I find it's really better than most of my previous owned binos for dull/dreary days and really shows off ("sparkles") when the sun is out.

The deeper DOF of lower power bins is very nice :t:

Well I never really doubted it wasn't a nice pair of binoculars, more a point of how much better is A than B or even C. Anyway, the view was really nice.
Looking forward to using it more, while comparing side by side is good it can be a bit tiresome switching back and forth and splitting hairs.
Actually getting out and using something in various conditions and clocking up some time is the best test.

Well I never really doubted it wasn't a nice pair of binoculars, more a point of how much better is A than B or even C. Anyway, the view was really nice.
Looking forward to using it more, while comparing side by side is good it can be a bit tiresome switching back and forth and splitting hairs.
Actually getting out and using something in various conditions and clocking up some time is the best test

totally agree.

I leave comparison reviews/tests to others who have better eyes and more patience. I did one or two of those and posted them here some years back and never had a desire to do that again :-C

I'd rather just give my overall impressions of one binocular.

Agree.

I think I've read and enjoyed all your observations. I recall reading your post on the Trinovid some time back as well as the post on the HD+.

F88, I would be interested to know what your thoughts about the Trinovid 8x42 are when you've had some more time with the UVHD+ 7x42, and whether you decide to keep it in the long term. I still like mine, but as I said before, for me it's a question of value for money. The Trinovid cost me a third of what the UV cost so keeping it is easy when I consider it's relative value for money, plus the fact that I like it for what it is. You may have a different perspective. Let us know what happens!

MikeF, post 84,
The Leica Ultravid 7x42HD-plus is indeed a very nice binocular with excellent image quality, it is, however beaten by the Meopta Meostar B1 7x42: also excellent image quality, almost the same FOV, shorter close focus, higher light transmission, almost 5 mm longer eyerelief, more user friendly eyecups, much (more than 1100 euros) cheaper.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gijs, re: post 92,
As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; in my experience with the Meostar B1 7x42 and the 7x42 HD+, here's what I find -

"also excellent image quality"; agreed, but for me the HD+ can pull more detail out of the shadows than the Meostar
"almost the same FOV"; true, 137m vs. 140m
"shorter close focus"; true, 3m vs 3.3m; I'm not a butterfly guy, so for me they're equal
"higher light transmission"; that may be true, but it's not observable by me in use in the field
"almost 5 mm longer eyerelief"; the specifications I have indicate 20mm vs 17mm, but as an eyeglass wearer I find 17mm is perfect, so for me they're equal
"more user friendly eyecups"; to me they're nearly identical, the same diameter and a similar shape, and both are excellent, so for me they're equal
"much (more than 1100 euros) cheaper"; correct

You neglected to mention weight: 890gm vs. 770gm

Cheers,
John

F88, I would be interested to know what your thoughts about the Trinovid 8x42 are when you've had some more time with the UVHD+ 7x42, and whether you decide to keep it in the long term. I still like mine, but as I said before, for me it's a question of value for money. The Trinovid cost me a third of what the UV cost so keeping it is easy when I consider it's relative value for money, plus the fact that I like it for what it is. You may have a different perspective. Let us know what happens!

Here's the thing Mike, my HD+ "only" cost me about 26% more than my Trinovid as I paid a premium price for the Trinovid but got a relative bargain on the UV. Both were bought new.
While I still like the Trinovid and find the view to be very good, I'm starting to really take a liking to the UV with it's greater FOV and crispness. I still however prefer the handling of the Trinovid and the extra mag at times.

Just to reiterate on close focus as it was brought up in another post, I measured 2.3m with the UV the other day and I'm sure I could achieve at least that with the Trinovid. I'm unsure if everyone could achieve this, might be my eyes, but just goes to show Leica's conservative spec.

The 7x42 is really growing on me, I need to sell off some more binoculars even though I don't really want to.
I think my thoughts are quite similar to yours Mike regarding the Trinovid and UV.

Last edited:
John, post 93,
Our measured close focus values were for the Leica 3,3, m and for the Meopta 2,6 m.
Regarding eyerelief: 17 mm for the Leica, 21,6 mm for the Meopta.
With regard to the eyecups: I like the screw mount the best, but that is a matter of taste.
You are right, the weight difference is even larger than you mention: Leica 743 g, Meopta 926 g.
I have the following prices : 2040 euros in 2015, Meopta 889 euros in 2018, so the price difference may even be more than 1100 euros in 2018.
The Leica is as far as its shape is concerned very beautiful and more elegant than the Meopta (matter of taste of course).
So it is a matter of taste/preference and the amount of money one has available. Both binoculars are desirable instruments as far as I am concerned.
Gijs van Ginkel

MikeF, post 84,
The Leica Ultravid 7x42HD-plus is indeed a very nice binocular with excellent image quality, it is, however beaten by the Meopta Meostar B1 7x42: also excellent image quality, almost the same FOV, shorter close focus, higher light transmission, almost 5 mm longer eyerelief, more user friendly eyecups, much (more than 1100 euros) cheaper.
Gijs van Ginkel

I thought the Meostar B1 7x42 was discontinued ?

John, post 93,
Our measured close focus values were for the Leica 3,3, m and for the Meopta 2,6 m.
Regarding eyerelief: 17 mm for the Leica, 21,6 mm for the Meopta.
With regard to the eyecups: I like the screw mount the best, but that is a matter of taste.
You are right, the weight difference is even larger than you mention: Leica 743 g, Meopta 926 g.
I have the following prices : 2040 euros in 2015, Meopta 889 euros in 2018, so the price difference may even be more than 1100 euros in 2018.
The Leica is as far as its shape is concerned very beautiful and more elegant than the Meopta (matter of taste of course).
So it is a matter of taste/preference and the amount of money one has available. Both binoculars are desirable instruments as far as I am concerned.
Gijs van Ginkel

I think I got a pretty good deal on my HD+ at about 1330 Euro, most places want about 1860 Euros here. Keep in mind I paid in AUD so I paid about AUD1000 less (on average) than the going rate here and it's brand new.
By the time I shipped a Meostar here, paid taxes, shipping and money conversion I would be getting close to HD+ money (at what I paid anyway).
The Meopta looks nice but I'm happy with the Leica and I like their compact 42's.

Last edited:
Got to say I'm really loving the Trinovid and still favouring it over the HD+.
For some reason I find the view easier by comparison although you'd think the HD+ would have the edge (8x42 vs 7x42). By default 8x is my preference it would seem.
There's just something about the ease of view and picture that really works for me in the Trinovid. I just love it's view.
Regarding CA here's the thing, it's when looking at edges and/or not looking squarely through the binoculars and only evident under these circumstances out of the usual viewing area. I'm calling it a complete non issue under consideration and given how much I enjoy the view it doesn't bother me one bit that I can induce this CA if I try because obviously why would you?
Don't get me wrong, if CA was rearing it's head freely left and right I'd take serious issue.
I think Leica cops a fair bit of flack rightly or wrongly about CA but for me I enjoy the view as much or more than binoculars I own that are hard pressed to show CA as much as you try.
Really like the Trinovid view.
Regarding the 7x42 HD+ I had a great view watching a pair of sacred kingfishers protecting albeit not quite well enough their nest in an old termite nest in the fork of a tree. There was a decent sized lace monitor with only it's back half hanging out while the birds repeatedly took turns dive bombing the large lizard. The poor things, even felt like chucking a stick at the intruder but of course I didn't. Have to let these battles of nature play themselves out.
The HD+ most would agree is the technically better binocular but for me the Trinovid is still my go to pair out of the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back