• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica to D70 (1 Viewer)

N.Grant

Riverside
Help Needed, what adapter do I need to connect the Leica APO Televid 62 with 32 x eyepiece to the Nikon D70 camera
Thanks
N Grant

N.Grant said:
Help Needed, what adapter do I need to connect the Leica APO Televid 62 with 32 x eyepiece to the Nikon D70 camera
Thanks
N Grant
N.Grant
Unfortunatley, its unlikely that you will be able to use the D70 to digiscope, or, if you try and do succeed I imagine the vignetting will be horendous.
The D70 has a large lens and a large CCD. It seems that the smaller the CCD the better.
It may be possible to remove the scope eyepiece and the camera lens. Then use the scope as a large lens with a T adaptor?.

Hopefully other peopple will respond who have more technical expertise!.

N.Grant said:
Thanks
N Grant

Whether or not eyepiece projection works I know not.

To answer a question that you did not ask (!), Leica manufacture a camera adaptor that contains some optical elements and makes the Televid 77 into an ~1000mm lens. I believe it has an M42 thread so requires an M42 to Nikon adaptor. The bad news is that the adaptor costs several hundred pounds, though used ones are often available more cheaply. I believe the reason for the adaptor is that the focal plane of the scope with no eyepiece lies too close to the scope to allow prime focus photography with an SLR.

I have no experience of digiscoping, but my knowledge of photography suggests that vibration from the shutter and mirror might be an issue with an SLR. Compact non-SLR digital cameras are better in that respect.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will provide an answer!

Firstly, the optical photo adaptor fits via a T2 mount which will cost a few pounds on top of the approx. £250 of the adaptor itself.

I think you'll be able to digiscope to some extent with your set up although it's not ideal!

What you'll need is, either one of those bracket type affairs that fits between the scope and the tripod and allows you to swing the camera out of the way to find the bird in the scope and then bring the camera back in as close as possible to the eyepiece, or an adaptor like the one shown below which fits onto the eyepiece and fits to your filter thread on your lens via a step-ring (also shown).

Success depends on the type of lens you own - before investing in any adaptor I would hold the lens up to the eyepiece and see what you get!

On another thread somewhere, I believe the best lens for digiscoping with Nikon cameras is quoted as the 45mm F2.8 - bad news is that this lens is quite expensive and I think it's only manual-focus as well (someone may confirm this)!

However, the 50mm F1.8 may be a good, less-expensive, second choice - any vignetting caused by this lens should be cropped out by the D70's 1.5x magnification over the full-frame of the 35mm-type camera.

I would certainly try to beg/steal/borrow a lens to try out before buying - good luck!

Attachments

• adaptor 1.jpg
    adaptor 1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 194
alan_rymer said:
N.Grant
Unfortunatley, its unlikely that you will be able to use the D70 to digiscope, or, if you try and do succeed I imagine the vignetting will be horendous.
The D70 has a large lens and a large CCD. It seems that the smaller the CCD the better.
It may be possible to remove the scope eyepiece and the camera lens. Then use the scope as a large lens with a T adaptor?.

Hopefully other peopple will respond who have more technical expertise!.
Thank,you very much for responding to my enquiry Alan, although not good news the response was much appreciated
Neville

Leif said:

To answer a question that you did not ask (!), Leica manufacture a camera adaptor that contains some optical elements and makes the Televid 77 into an ~1000mm lens. I believe it has an M42 thread so requires an M42 to Nikon adaptor. The bad news is that the adaptor costs several hundred pounds, though used ones are often available more cheaply. I believe the reason for the adaptor is that the focal plane of the scope with no eyepiece lies too close to the scope to allow prime focus photography with an SLR.

I have no experience of digiscoping, but my knowledge of photography suggests that vibration from the shutter and mirror might be an issue with an SLR. Compact non-SLR digital cameras are better in that respect.

Thanks Adey much apreciated best regards Neville

Last edited:
Leif said:

Thank,you Lief, I think it is back to the drawing board, cheers Neville

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back