• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss RSPB (1 Viewer)

Are those bearded guys making an appearance on the treys yet:-O
Never seen one so very keen to see one this month if they are about. I was told Leighton Moss is THE place and October THE month???
Any advice is most appreciated:t:
Many thanks
Regards
Ausha

Hoping to be there tomorrow about 10:30-11:00. Hopefully thats not too late to see the Beardies. Any of the members planning to visit the reserve tomorrow??

Hoping to be there tomorrow about 10:30-11:00. Hopefully thats not too late to see the Beardies. Any of the members planning to visit the reserve tomorrow??

I was at the grit trays on 28/09/12 @ around 10.30am & there were a lot (15 to 20) of Bearded Tits visiting the trays, although they had all dispersed before 11am. I think the general consensus is 9am to 11am is the best time to catch them so hopefully you'll get to see some - good luck.

I've attached a couple of photos, along with a Curlew grappling with a crab & one of the new Allan hide, the last two both photo'd from the Morecambe hide.

Cliff

Attachments

• beardedTit_280912e.jpg
    beardedTit_280912e.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 82
  • beardedTit_280912a.jpg
    beardedTit_280912a.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 50
  • curlew_280912d.jpg
    curlew_280912d.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 43
  • curlew_280912e.jpg
    curlew_280912e.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 37
  • egret_280912a.jpg
    egret_280912a.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 57
Up to 20 bearded tits seen on trays in the last week or so; not at the same time, just told apart by their rings. Tend to not get them after 12-12.30 though, so try and get there before then. Cetti's singing around that area as well.

The red deer are roaring like good un's at the moment. From about 6pm onwards, but can still be heard early mornings.

The starling roost is about 4,000 strong and attracting a sparrowhawk or two. Marsh harriers are showing well with 3 present daily.

Otters are being seen quite often from Public hide, most often early morning or early evenings.

Great white egret seen in the egret roost (from Public Hide) on Wednesday evening at 6.10pm. Not sure if has been seen since though.

Hope this helps anyone planning a trip up to the reserve.

Adam

I was at the grit trays on 28/09/12 @ around 10.30am & there were a lot (15 to 20) of Bearded Tits visiting the trays, although they had all dispersed before 11am. I think the general consensus is 9am to 11am is the best time to catch them so hopefully you'll get to see some - good luck.

I've attached a couple of photos, along with a Curlew grappling with a crab & one of the new Allan hide, the last two both photo'd from the Morecambe hide.

Cliff

Many thanks for the information. It was most helpful. I was there today from about 9:00. There were about 6-7 visits by the Bearded tits. Saw two males and a female together once and three females (or two females and one juvenile may be) together once. The last visit was about 11:00. Nothing then til 12:30 when I decided to move.
There were three goldcrests on a nearby tree.
Someone told me they saw the cetti warbler a bit further down. I did not check this myself. It was great fun as I havent seen them before.. So many thanks again

Any updates this week??

I had a few hours there on Wednesday morning this week. A Marsh Harrier was upsetting the wildfowl at both the Tim Jackson & Griesdale hides, and in turn two crows were mobbing the Harrier. I was hoping for Red Deer sightings, but whilst I could hear them I didn't see any. There were lots of Jays flying over, mostly carrying acorns both in their beaks & in their crops, and at the grit trays there were 6 Bearded Tits.

Cliff

Attachments

• beardedTit_191012a.jpg
    beardedTit_191012a.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 87
  • jay_191012c.jpg
    jay_191012c.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 78
  • jay_191012d.jpg
    jay_191012d.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 90
  • marshHarrier_191012c.jpg
    marshHarrier_191012c.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 84
  • marshHarrier_191012i.jpg
    marshHarrier_191012i.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 82
Two Marsh Harriers showing well today, a Juv and a sub-adult male. Three Cetti's warblers on reserve, one in very good voice along the cuseway all morning. Two Avocets have turned up again, will be interesting to see how long they will stay. Lots of wildfowl with Gadwall in good number. A bit too windy this morning for views of 'Beardies'.

Smashing day at Leighton last Monday.

Bittern from Public hide (being showing and flying to the left of the hide most days this week).
Water rail to the left of Lilian's hide (another on the path right outside Lower hide).
6 bearded tits gritting from the path just past Public hide (always worth a look if they aren't on the trays).
Marsh harrier from Tim Jackson's hide, along with the great white egret. Also had a jack snipe from Tim Jackson's hide on Thursday.

Other news this week has been an otter showing well from Public hide and another from Lilian's hide, both early morning, and the starling roost is up to about 100k birds (best seen from Lilian's hide).

Just down the road at Morecambe front yesterday, 400 knot, roughly 50-60 redshank, similar numbers of turnstone, 2 green sandpipers, 10-15 eider off-shore and hundreds of oystercatcher. Obviously more all across the estuary, moving about as the tide came in, but I just counted what was on a small part of the shore by the car.

Oh, and a scaup showing well from Public hide too. Tricky picking it out at distance as it's either an eclipse drake or a first year bird; I'm sure one of you will enlighten me, Not my pic by the way, but the only one I could find online http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?v=1&f=371901

Adam

Last edited:
Oh, and a scaup showing well from Public hide too. Tricky picking it out at distance as it's either an eclipse drake or a first year bird; I'm sure one of you will enlighten me, Not my pic by the way, but the only one I could find online http://www.birdguides.com/iris/pictures.asp?v=1&f=371901

Is this definitely the bird in question / a Scaup? If so, does anyone else have any other pics of it? The bill looks a bit 'interesting' but most of the other features seem closer to Tufted Duck, to my eye.

Is this definitely the bird in question / a Scaup? If so, does anyone else have any other pics of it? The bill looks a bit 'interesting' but most of the other features seem closer to Tufted Duck, to my eye.

thats not the scaup that i was watching on the tuesday morning

We were there for the Starlings as well last night. We watched from the path beside the old stone barn between the visitor centre and the causeway. Very good views, though they weren't displaying for anything like as long as they had on the previous night. Sunday night they were overhead for much longer.

I'd say either there or the causeway are perhaps the best places for viewing at present. It does vary though as to which area of reeds they roost in. Sometimes it's by Island Mere according to some of the staff.

We counted 37 Little Egrets roosting though around 60 have been recorded, with a similar number of Cormorants.

We were there for the Starlings as well last night. We watched from the path beside the old stone barn between the visitor centre and the causeway. Very good views, though they weren't displaying for anything like as long as they had on the previous night. Sunday night they were overhead for much longer.

I'd say either there or the causeway are perhaps the best places for viewing at present. It does vary though as to which area of reeds they roost in. Sometimes it's by Island Mere according to some of the staff.

We counted 37 Little Egrets roosting though around 60 have been recorded, with a similar number of Cormorants.

Thanks for that Ian - we are planning on going to LM on Thursday. No problem to go another day if the starlings don't cooperate

S

Forgot to mention it was around 4.20 both days that they turned up. It was all over by 5.00pm.

It was quite a spectacle both nights., well worth seeing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back