• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight/compact binoculars for travel. (1 Viewer)

@typo - thanks, that's interesting I didn't know that.

@ibramr - Am getting confused with the Nikon nomenclature, is the Travelite the same name over here. :)

Last edited:
. I have the Nikon 10×25 Olympic logo binocular that you mentioned and at £30 think that it is excellent value.

There is a repairer who also sells new and secondhand binoculars somewhere near Crewkerne and I will try and find out his name.

. Intrasights is I think the firm in or near Crewkerne.

Last edited:
Thanks Binastro, we're popping down to Devon for a seaside weekend in Oct., might see if the chap in Crewkerne is nearby/open.

Although not waterproof, I tried a pair of Opticron MCF 7x24 reverse porro bins that easily outperformed my Hawke Frontier PC 8x25 bins. An old design and model, I understand, but a nice performer.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I've listed them so I can find them all/remember them easily.

Alpen Wings ED 8x20

Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26

Bushnell Legend HD 10x25

Eagle Optics Triumph 8x25

Hawke Sapphire ED 8x28

Hawke Frontier PC 8x25

Leica 8x20 or 10x25 !

Nikon Travelite 8x25

Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 or 10x25

Nikon 8x25 EX reverse porro

Opticron Taiga

Opticron MCF 7x24

Olympus PCI 8x25

Vortex Vanquish 8x26

Do you wear glasses? The Travelite's still had the old-style fold down eyecups last time I checked, and a narrow FOV and short eye relief. Also, I personally wouldn't travel with a 10x due to the lower light gathering capabilities (an exit pupil of at least 3 will help with evening use). I've owned or at least used about half the binoculars on your list, and I liked the Custom Compacts the best (including against the Leica roofs). You'll probably be happiest in the long run with a pair that has near a 350' FOV and min. 15mm eye relief. Waterproof is nice, too (Vortex Vanquish and a couple of others). You may want to visit a local store and compare a few in person.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I've listed them so I can find them all/remember them easily.

Alpen Wings ED 8x20

Bushnell Custom Compact 7x26

Bushnell Legend HD 10x25

Eagle Optics Triumph 8x25

Hawke Sapphire ED 8x28

Hawke Frontier PC 8x25

Leica 8x20 or 10x25 !

Nikon Travelite 8x25

Nikon Sportstar EX 8x25 or 10x25

Nikon 8x25 EX reverse porro

Opticron Taiga

Opticron MCF 7x24

Olympus PCI 8x25

Vortex Vanquish 8x26

Thanks Paul. I'm looking for two pairs one of which will need to be for a spex-wearer. However I am considering selling our 'full-sized' bins and buying two lightweight bins so have upped the budget to (around £250).

Am considering the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25 as one to test and then as you say find a local store...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back