• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lightweight/waterproof/large eyepiece binocular (1 Viewer)

Woen

Netherlands
Next to my general use binocular I'm looking for a model that I can take with me while I'm flyfishing or maybe a bit of rough hiking. So they have to be suitable for use with glasses, be quite compact (but not like a pocket bin, tried those and I can't place them), waterproof (good chance of getting wet) and have (correct me if I'm wrong) large eyepieces to look through.

Like I said, I tested pocket binoculars (Swarovski CL 8x25 and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25) but didn't like those at all with my glasses.
I also tested some Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, but again had difficulty with getting a good view. With a good view I mean a round view with not to much black, I just can't get a nice round view.

In comparison, if I use a Zeiss Victory SF 8 or 10x42, the view is immediatly good.

Last but not least, this binocular does not have to be an expensive one. I find the price of forementioned pockets more then enough.

Maybe one of you experts can explain me why I have such difficulty with good placement/getting a round view.

I understand exactly what you mean.
it takes me a while to get familiar with the placement of my Hawke Endurance ED 8x25 pocket binoculars.

One pair of binoculars I own are a pair of Hawke Endurance ED 8x32 which Hawke say are waterproof and cost Β£229 in the U.K. - I don’t know if that helps.
I imagine that "waterproof" binoculars exist at a lower price than this.

So they have to be suitable for use with glasses, be quite compact (but not like a pocket bin, tried those and I can't place them), waterproof (good chance of getting wet) and have (correct me if I'm wrong) large eyepieces to look through.

Like I said, I tested pocket binoculars (Swarovski CL 8x25 and Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25) but didn't like those at all with my glasses.
I also tested some Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, but again had difficulty with getting a good view. With a good view I mean a round view with not to much black, I just can't get a nice round view.

In comparison, if I use a Zeiss Victory SF 8 or 10x42, the view is immediatly good.
Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 eye relief 16mm
Zeiss SF 8x42 ER 18mm
Zeiss SF 10x42 ER 18mm

Conquest HD 8x32 has essentially the same exit pupil as SF 10x42 but less eye relief, so maybe eye relief is the problem.

Suggestion: 8x32 with ER 18+mm

Examples:
Opticron Traveller BGA ED ER 19mm
Opticron Verano BGA VHD ER 18mm
Swarovski EL 8x32 ER 20mm (discontinued)
Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 ER 18mm (v. expensive)

This thread may be helpful:

Since you like the view through the Zeiss Victory SF 8 or 10x42, and you don't like compacts because you get blackouts, it sounds like you like a bigger exit pupil and full size eye cups, so they don't go too far into your eye sockets creating blackouts. To avoid blackouts, the eye cup length, eye relief of the binoculars, and your eye sockets all have to fit. You also would like a smaller, more compact binocular at about the price of a good compact. With those criteria in mind, I would suggest a Nikon MHG 8x42 or 10x42. It is small and light and has a big exit pupil and is right at about $1K. Try before you buy though to make sure they work for you.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 eye relief 16mm
Zeiss SF 8x42 ER 18mm
Zeiss SF 10x42 ER 18mm

Conquest HD 8x32 has essentially the same exit pupil as SF 10x42 but less eye relief, so maybe eye relief is the problem.

Suggestion: 8x32 with ER 18+mm

Examples:
Opticron Traveller BGA ED ER 19mm
Opticron Verano BGA VHD ER 18mm
Swarovski EL 8x32 ER 20mm (discontinued)
Swarovski NL Pure 8x32 ER 18mm (v. expensive)

This thread may be helpful:

That might be it! My older pair also has a eye relief of 19mm.

Maybe try the CL Companion 8x30 - bigger than the pockets, but still fairly lightweight and reasonably compact.

Is there a all binocular specification website with eye relief information? This opticrons are in for a test.
Not that I know of. When I was looking for binos I built my own spreadsheet for weight, ER etc. For 8x32, 18+mm ER is unusual, 15-16mm is common.

One thought: some people have been able to "reclaim" 1-2mm of ER by getting eyeglasses that are fitted more closely to their eyes. Glass or high-index lenses are also thinner than polycarbonate lenses and can free up another mm or two. Something to consider for your next pair of glasses.

Maybe try the CL Companion 8x30 - bigger than the pockets, but still fairly lightweight and reasonably compact.
Agreed, I purchased a pair of these (ex-display) as my daily walking binoculars, and thought they were magnificent. In the end, the only reason I sold them was because I prefer to carry a 10x when I'm walking.

BKoh mentions the Opticron Traveller BGA ED. I reckon they would be absolutely spot on for your purposes, very compact and light weight, very decent build quality and optics, and they won't break the bank! The included neck strap is a little on the narrow side, however, so I would definitely upgrade that (Opticron offer a 40mm neoprene strap which I would, personally, team up with them).

Not that I know of. When I was looking for binos I built my own spreadsheet for weight, ER etc. For 8x32, 18+mm ER is unusual, 15-16mm is common.

One thought: some people have been able to "reclaim" 1-2mm of ER by getting eyeglasses that are fitted more closely to their eyes. Glass or high-index lenses are also thinner than polycarbonate lenses and can free up another mm or two. Something to consider for your next pair of glasses.
Never thought about that with my glasses. Making a spreadsheet right now too.

Agreed, I purchased a pair of these (ex-display) as my daily walking binoculars, and thought they were magnificent. In the end, the only reason I sold them was because I prefer to carry a 10x when I'm walking.

BKoh mentions the Opticron Traveller BGA ED. I reckon they would be absolutely spot on for your purposes, very compact and light weight, very decent build quality and optics, and they won't break the bank! The included neck strap is a little on the narrow side, however, so I would definitely upgrade that (Opticron offer a 40mm neoprene strap which I would, personally, team up with them).
Planning on testing the Opticron Traveller BGA ED coming friday. In a decent store with lots of binoculars to compare.

Excellent, certainly sounds like you'll be able to narrow down your search, and just maybe you'll find 'the one'!

Good luck, and enjoy!

Also update time:

Tested a 6.5x32 Kowa BDII, funny little thing! Center sharp, focus depth is brilliant, but a lot of glare and I don't like the smaller sharp center.
Tested the Opticron Traveller BGA ED, a lot better overall. Then I went back to the pockets (Swarovski CL en Zeiss Victory Pocket) and came to the conclusion that I was getting used to them. And the other ones are just to big for the purpose. So now I'm hoping to get a secondhand CL pocket for a nice price although the Zeiss is just a bit more handy with the one hinge. But the price is to good.

Last edited:
Terrific, at least you're settled on 'the type', pocket rather than compact. I took the other route, deciding pocket bins were just too fiddly and tricky with glasses, so was about to buy a pair of Traveller BGA ED when I spotted a pair of ex display CL Companions (latest model) for less than Β£100 more. No contest. πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚

Terrific, at least you're settled on 'the type', pocket rather than compact. I took the other route, deciding pocket bins were just too fiddly and tricky with glasses, so was about to buy a pair of Traveller BGA ED when I spotted a pair of ex display CL Companions (latest model) for less than Β£100 more. No contest. πŸ˜‰πŸ™‚
No contest indeed!

After having a go with the swarovski cl companion 8x30 I concluded these are still to big. So I got this Swarovski cl pocket 8x25, it's from 2014 and has the newer eyecups. It's just magnificent to look through once you get used to the size and folding hinges. Only thins is the eyecups, when I twist them to go out I can easilly just screw them out entirely. Actually they go loose very fast. But I never use them myself anyway (I wear glasses).

I will never go without a pair of pocket binoculars again.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back