• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

List of all field guide apps (1 Viewer)

jedigrant

I'm trying to put together a list of all the bird field guide apps. Below are all of the countries/regions that I'm aware of that have such apps. If you know of any others please let me know.

1. U.S./Canada
  2. Haiti/Dominican Republic
  3. Costa Rica
  4. Ecuador
  5. Brazil
  6. Western Palearctic
  7. Sothern Africa
  8. Australia

Birdseye with sound/photo packages for several areas, such as Mexico and Venezuela (each extra package is an in app purchase - 8 packages total). Currently only iOS, but they are taking pre-orders for android.

Niels

It seems you are missing at least a few:
Birds of Haiti with Dominican Republic (I know it for iphone/ipad, don't know if it exists for Android)

Birdlog (found for either regions or world, currently I think only iOS devices)
Birdseye (start package right now I think is for North America, can be expanded with for example Mexico sounds and pictures).

A few words about the last one: the start often is to look for which birds have been seen locally according to ebird. For each you can then get a map of where it was seen, a link to the checklist containing it, a photo, and 1-2 sound recordings. Might be worth a separate review because the scope of this one crosses over a few categories. Sounds and photos are contained in packages that needs in app purchase.

Both of the last two are from the company called birdseye: http://www.birdseyebirding.com/

Niels

It seems you are missing at least a few:
Birds of Haiti with Dominican Republic (I know it for iphone/ipad, don't know if it exists for Android)

Birdlog (found for either regions or world, currently I think only iOS devices)
Birdseye (start package right now I think is for North America, can be expanded with for example Mexico sounds and pictures).

Niels

Thanks, Niels.
Birds of Haiti/Dominican Republic is on there, under the Caribbean/Central America section

I noted at the top that I wasn't including apps whose primary purpose is something other than a field guide, so that disqualified BirdsEye and BirdLog. But I am planning on doing a separate post on BirdsEye to cover their images and, especially, the sound packages that are now available. It's been much updated since I did my review of it a couple years ago.

However I sadly note nothing for IPhone for Ecuador. I bought the Birds of Ecuador with the hummer add-on but did not note it only works on an Ipad. :-0 Alas, wish the developer would have done both. I take it the one for Panama is Android only by the specs. Good stuff this to keep us current on what is out there.

Great thread of which will get better with more additions as they occur. Gutted that Columbia isn't yet covered, although there will be some overlap with Ecuador.

However I sadly note nothing for IPhone for Ecuador. I bought the Birds of Ecuador with the hummer add-on but did not note it only works on an Ipad. :-0 Alas, wish the developer would have done both. I take it the one for Panama is Android only by the specs. Good stuff this to keep us current on what is out there.

Mike,
did you try downloading anyway? I have an iPhone app (birdseye) that I am using on my ipad mini even though it does not come up in the ipad part of the app store.

Niels

Great thread of which will get better with more additions as they occur. Gutted that Columbia isn't yet covered, although there will be some overlap with Ecuador.

This is where I to some degree disagree with Grants choice of not including Birdseye in this list. That app allow you to add photo/sound packages for select countries, including Colombia: http://www.birdseyebirding.com/index.php/sound-packages

No it does not function as a field guide, but does include some of the functionality that you expect in a field guide app.

Niels

I hadn't noticed that about the Ecuador apps (and I confirmed that they wouldn't open on my iPhone). I'll update the post with that.

The Panama app should be available for iOS. But I'll double check.

Niels: the packages in BirdsEye only include sounds. The photos are available to all users, provided they have that species unlocked via an appropriate subscription. So that's not quite the same. However, I think I may be able to note that more clearly so I'll see what I can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back