• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for tiny mono/ binocular (1 Viewer)

Patriot that's a very good explanation. Both are very nice for the size but overall I prefer the 6 for the combination of wider FoV, greater DoF and steadier image. I have the same experience as you, without something to steady the 7, the benefit of the extra mag is cancelled out by shake for me.

Mike

It's always kind of fun to hear the experiences of other enthusiasts!

The little Nikon Mikron's are kind of hard to hold steady. Try wrapping your finger's completely around them and bracing your hand against your forehead. They are surprisingly good for as small as they are! I wouldn't want to lug an 8x56 binocular up Mt. Whitney!

Yes, and what's interesting is that I don't consider myself as one who struggles to hold binoculars steady, off hand. I grew up shooting "high power rifle" competition and was one of the steadier competitors. These little Mikon's definitely require some deliberate technique. It seems that the more surface area of my hand that I can get in contact with the binocular, while planting the rear prism housings against my brow, the more I can dampen the micro-oscillations. This evening, I actually had them steady enough while standing, that my heartbeat what the most prominent movement.

The more I think about it, the more I'd like to just keep both Mikron's. I've done that with too many binoculars already however and I've been capped off at 25 units, which I've been really good at following. I've got a spot open now for the Canon 8x20IS, which I'd love to try.

Of all the binoculars that I've considered trying and didn't, I kind of feel stupid for not giving the Mikron a shot earlier. Obviously, I still have some new buyer's excitement but the little Mikron's are so unique and so capable, while wrapped up in this retro little package. These things are too fun!

Hi,

for these hikes the weight of my binoculars would be my least concern. Sure, I won't take a 10x50, but if it's a Micron at 250g or some light 8x30 at 450 is not an issue. You will carry enough other stuff which is much heavier like food, water and proper clothing - that is, if you do not need any climbing gear or a tent...

The interesting question is, whether you have proper time to get used to the altitude - spending a few days (and ideally nights) above 10000 ft with daily hikes to destinations of increasing altitude are warmly recommended.

When we were near Cotopaxi in Ecuador some years ago (no, we didn't aim for that - way out of our league technically and also not sure whether we would have problems with altitude) we did the house mountain of 13500ft... it was just a 10mile hike with maybe 1800ft up and down... normally not an issue but boy did I gasp for air near the summit... and that was just the thin air (and probably my lack of fitness) and not real altitude sickness with splitting headache, nausea and vomitting or even life threatening conditions like pulmonary or cerebral edemas...

Please take care!

Joachim

Hi,

for these hikes the weight of my binoculars would be my least concern. Sure, I won't take a 10x50, but if it's a Micron at 250g or some light 8x30 at 450 is not an issue. You will carry enough other stuff which is much heavier like food, water and proper clothing - that is, if you do not need any climbing gear or a tent...

Every ounce adds cumulative labor. Humphrey's Peak it relatively easy for me and June will be my 11th trip up that one. I won't take binoculars up Whitney. It's just too brutal even with ultralight everything. Besides there wouldn't be time to enjoy them. I made the summit three years ago and two years before that, I was turned back due to weather. Like you said, it's 3-4L water to start with, lots of energy food, clothing layers and a few other minimals. Last time my pack weighed 14lbs total and 8-9lbs or that was water.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back