• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx Edicions - What Next ? (4 Viewers)

Can't imagine there are that many that persist to this day?

There are over 1,600 breeds of Chicken.
Over 1,000 breeds of Cattle.
Over 1,000 breeds of Sheep.
Over 1,000 Breeds of Dog.
Over 400 breeds of Horse.
Over 300 breeds of Goat.
Over 300 breeds of Rabbit.
Nearly 200 breeds of Donkey.

And So on....

There are over 1,600 breeds of Chicken.
Over 1,000 breeds of Cattle.
Over 1,000 breeds of Sheep.
Over 1,000 Breeds of Dog.
Over 400 breeds of Horse.
Over 300 breeds of Goat.
Over 300 breeds of Rabbit.
Nearly 200 breeds of Donkey.

And So on....
Rather suspect that editions on each category, are possibly, already available from some niche publisher? I doubt that any of my contemporaries are interested in any of the above, the interest is wild animals, not how we've bastardised them to be more useful to us or to satisfy an aethetic.

So that's a book with 6,000-odd illustrations - plus all the domestic ducks... 🤔 Hmm, maybe not.

Well, there are many people out there who are interested in such a work(s).

Just because we are lovers of wild animals, it does not mean that people are not interested in domestic animals and their varieties, types, breeds or mutations etc.

Rather suspect that editions on each category, are possibly, already available from some niche publisher?

Yes. There are some publishers but again no one can beat Lynx in terms of quality and comprehensiveness.

I doubt that any of my contemporaries are interested in any of the above, the interest is wild animals, not how we've bastardised them to be more useful to us or to satisfy an aethetic.

Well, that is totally different topic. These animals are with us from hundreds of thousands of years and are useful to humans.

Yes, some breeds have health issues and look odd but again that depends on the Lynx and experts to what can be included or excluded from such a work(s).

There is certainly a book market for encyclopedias of domestic animal breeds, although I doubt there is one for a single book with ALL domesticated animals. I imagine people interested in dogs have no real interest in goats, and goat people might have no interest in pigeons, so on and so forth. It WOULD be a lot of work however, as it would require a ton of new illustrations and text, versus field guides and so forth on existing wild mammals and birds, where the illustrations and such already exist.

If they were going to do a "from scratch" project of that scale I personally would prefer Herps, but to be honest that is probably an even more expensive and laborious task.

There is certainly a book market for encyclopedias of domestic animal breeds, although I doubt there is one for a single book with ALL domesticated animals. I imagine people interested in dogs have no real interest in goats, and goat people might have no interest in pigeons, so on and so forth. It WOULD be a lot of work however, as it would require a ton of new illustrations and text, versus field guides and so forth on existing wild mammals and birds, where the illustrations and such already exist.

If they were going to do a "from scratch" project of that scale I personally would prefer Herps, but to be honest that is probably an even more expensive and laborious task.
Precisely so, hence my previous comment that these things are probably, already out there, in the hands of e.g Pigeon fanciers, little girls who do gymkhanas or dare I say it, birders!

I would love the small mammal pictures to be slowly updated for more accurate ones. Like with bird books, pictures of juvenile gulls and such changed over the years.

The book is very good, I'm very happy that they made new primates plates.
Concerning the extinct species too bad there are no plates for them. At least wel known species like thylacine should have deserved a plate.
No plate for domestic mammals too so in a book with all mammals you dont' have an illustration of dromedary camel !
Buy the way there are brilliant illustrations of the extinct Marsupials by Tony Tobet in Volume 5

I don't know when the deadline was for All Mammals of the World, but I am missing a lot of new mammal entries from the second half of 2022. (2023 is also not included). I think it would have been better to wait with the publication of this book.

I don't know when the deadline was for All Mammals of the World, but I am missing a lot of new mammal entries from the second half of 2022. (2023 is also not included). I think it would have been better to wait with the publication of this book.
That was always going to be an issue, correct?

They've just published All the Mammals of the World as a concise alternative to the Handbook and since I'm more interested in pretty pictures, full list and distribution than typical handbook matter (not to mention cost and weight) I've bought that instead and I'm already drooling over the pictures. I think many people will be happy with that rather than the university library Handbook.

With scuba diving/snorkeling being popular maybe they might consider fish at some point?

John

I just wish they would reprint my Field Guides the Birds of New Guinea, the Bismarck's and Bougainville, been out of print for over year and they say a reprint is too expensive. I am pushing for a second edition and will see what happens.

And hopefully with a soft cover this time. Their attitude when I have enquired in the past about soft covers for your book, Indo v1 and the new Seabirds was dismissive and very much “we know better” yet meanwhile I hear far more complaints about than love for hard cover field guides and I’ve seen many copies of the Indo guide and 1-2 of yours running around with no covers as they eventually get torn off. My hardcover Indo v1 looked like shit after just a few weeks in the field. My v2 with soft cover still looks good after months of field use.

And hopefully with a soft cover this time. Their attitude when I have enquired in the past about soft covers for your book, Indo v1 and the new Seabirds was dismissive and very much “we know better” yet meanwhile I hear far more complaints about than love for hard cover field guides and I’ve seen many copies of the Indo guide and 1-2 of yours running around with no covers as they eventually get torn off. My hardcover Indo v1 looked like shit after just a few weeks in the field. My v2 with soft cover still looks good after months of field use.
IMHO, legitimate field guides should never be hardcover. Great and even preferred for desktop references, but not for use when traveling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back