• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx Edicions - What Next ? (1 Viewer)

Missing out those on Comoros?
You live and learn. The Comoros seem to be included in the distribution maps. It seem to be unclear if the lemurs there were introduced by man or not but there do seem to be wild populations there as well as on Madagascar. Would be interesting to know if the Comoro lemurs are included or not.

Compared with the first edition (1994) this book is now full in colour. It is also nice to see that they include the German common names. Interesting that Lynx (re:wild) has included this book in its program. The first four editions were published at Conservation International. And referring to the Comores, the Mongoose lemur is the only lemur that lives on the Comores.

Compared with the first edition (1994) this book is now full in colour. It is also nice to see that they include the German common names. Interesting that Lynx (re:wild) has included this book in its program. The first four editions were published at Conservation International. And referring to the Comores, the Mongoose lemur is the only lemur that lives on the Comores.
In his article "The Lemurs of the Comoro Islands", Tattersall (1977) suggests there are (or were) not one but two species of lemur on the Comoros. Does the new edition cover it/them?

In his article "The Lemurs of the Comoro Islands", Tattersall (1977) suggests there are (or were) not one but two species of lemur on the Comoros. Does the new edition cover it/them?
Okay the second taxon is a subspecies of Eulemur fulvus (E. f. mayottensis). The sample pages don't give much information about the subspecies so I cannot answer your question yet.

Last edited:
Reptiles de Macaronesia

This book has been already published but it currently somewhat difficult to get if you don't have a credit card.

This book is in Spanish (I hope an English translation will follow) and it features all reptiles (extant and extinct) from the Azores, Madeira, Savage Islands, Canary Islands, and Cape Verde, and also the Atlantic Sahara Coast.

www.weboryx.com/es/libreria/fauna/anfibios-y-reptiles-de-europa-norte-de-africa-y-proximo-oriente/reptiles-de-macaronesia-azores-madeira-salvajes-canarias-cabo-verde-y-litoral-sahara-atlantico

Reptiles de Macaronesia

This book has been already published but it currently somewhat difficult to get if you don't have a credit card.

This book is in Spanish (I hope an English translation will follow) and it features all reptiles (extant and extinct) from the Azores, Madeira, Savage Islands, Canary Islands, and Cape Verde, and also the Atlantic Sahara Coast.

www.weboryx.com/es/libreria/fauna/anfibios-y-reptiles-de-europa-norte-de-africa-y-proximo-oriente/reptiles-de-macaronesia-azores-madeira-salvajes-canarias-cabo-verde-y-litoral-sahara-atlantico
Some places just sound dangerous ...

Oops this book is in the wrong thread. I wanted to place this post in this thread:

Last edited:
Seabirds Count is hot of the press and The East Atlantic Flyway of Coastal Birds will be published in March 2024.

Some weeks ago, a relative of mine, after reading about the upcoming updates on the ornithological field guides, communicated with Lynx about the future of the series as a whole.

This is the response:
"You're right, both "Birds of Vietnam" and "Birds of New Guinea" are slated for updates this year, which we're excited about! As for the continuation of the entire series, the truth is more complex. The pandemic significantly impacted travel, which heavily disrupted the market for such detailed regional guides. Unfortunately, despite strong initial sales, the production costs of many volumes proved unsustainable without the pre-pandemic travel demand. However, we haven't abandoned the series entirely. We're currently evaluating how to adapt the concept to remain feasible and potentially continue with specific regions in the future."

It's only five years since the fiirst Vietnam guide, what can justify an update already?
I'd guess that it's more that the first print run is sold out, and it's just minor cosmetic changes for a second printing (fixing typos and similar issues), versus a complete overhaul.

I'd guess that it's more that the first print run is sold out, and it's just minor cosmetic changes for a second printing (fixing typos and similar issues), versus a complete overhaul.
But they cannot just apply 'minor, cosmetic' changes to a book and call it a second edition.

Aim having a really hard time making any sense of the direction that Lynx Nature Books (as they are called now) is taking. They claim there is no economy in publishing field guides as publication costs and demands have made it unsustainable.

At the same time they are announcing second editions of field guides published just a few years ago? looking at some of their new releases I can't help but thinking that many of these titles must have very limited sales numbers so where is the economy and logic in that?

There is a forthcoming edition of Birds of Spain but it is only available in Spanish (just as their recently published mammal guide to Catalonia and Andorra) despite the fact that Spain is a very popular tourist destination. I think an overhaul of the HBW project is very unlikely given that we have BoW now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back