• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2013 (3 Viewers)

Didn´t manage to get to the hides as a friend turned up with some interesting insects.

2 Barn Owls calling around Sa Roca after dark - most likely by the moth trap.

Will try for an early round of the hides instead

Martin

Hi Martin

What is the size of the current marbled duck population? I saw 9 together in August 2012 and a group of 5 and another group of 4 this August.Are they actually surviving on their own or they going the same way the white headed ducks went.

regards
Sean

Hi

Yes, I´m pretty certain that Woodchat is the likely species. I´ve personally only ever seen that species but I believe that others are also on the list. I was going to check in A Birding Tourist's Guide to Majorca but the copy here has disappearred.

There´s been a regular juvenile in the Tamarix bushes to the left of Cibollar I (the old Bishop I) and an adult regularly perching on a dead branch out to the right from the Sa Roca hide (the old CIM).

I´ve not been out to the hides today (hope to go out later) to see if anything new has turned up (apart from any of the seven Marbled Ducks released recently)
http://ultimahora.es/mallorca/notic...n-sido-liberadas-parque-natural-albufera.html

Martin

people were claiming a Red backed Shrike from Bishop 1 whilst I was there but it was a juv Woodchat shrike. pic attached.

Attachments

• Woodchat Shrike1.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike1.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 77
Hi Martin

What is the size of the current marbled duck population? I saw 9 together in August 2012 and a group of 5 and another group of 4 this August.Are they actually surviving on their own or they going the same way the white headed ducks went.

regards
Sean

Hi Sean

A tricky question.

In the 2011 annual report there were an estimated 7 pairs bred. A maximum figure of 24 individuals recorded in September 2011. Mike should have the respective figures from the 2012 report.

I doubt if anyone knows the figures for this year since the Parc naturalist, along with all others in the Balearic reserves, lost his job last Christmas with the Government cuts - so there is officially no-one doing any scientific work recording breeding, etc.

Martin

people were claiming a Red backed Shrike from Bishop 1 whilst I was there but it was a juv Woodchat shrike. pic attached.

Hi

Just looking at the 2011 report re shrike species. Apart from the breeding Woodchat shrike (local subspecies) it states the following:

Red-backed - rare migrant, needs report submitted to Rarities Committee
Great Grey - accidental, report needed
Southern Grey - ditto
Masked - ditto
Isabelline - (wanderer) ditto

Hope this helps

Martin

Re:Marbled duck, maximum numbers seen in 2012 were 19 in June and 18 in September. 5 pairs were thought to have bred. Red-backed shrike are seen but usually only one or two each year whereas young Woodchats are relatively common. The time is right for this species but I have encountered very brown immature Woodchats that have appeared very like Red-backed on first impression. There are other features which will help separate them though. Mike

I have just been reminded that the annual report is available on line. Go to GOB Mallorca, then "Ornithology" and the reports are under "publications" "anuari". 2012 is not on yet but presumably will be any day now. Excuse bad spelling and the fact that I don't know how to link the site. Mike

Hi

A mixed day at s´Albufera.

I returned late afternoon to find out that a Caspian Tern had been seen this morning (it would have been a new species for me) and also that a Corncrake had been seen (don´t know exactly where though). So very disappointed that I had missed them both.
However, the Caspian Tern returned shortly after 6pm and gave stunning views in perfect light from Sa Roca hide. Also there were 2 Garganey (hard to find among the many eclipse Teal), a Curlew Sand., several Green Sand and a Bar-tailed Godwit (which I think is an island first for me).
I was also told of a Lapwing seen from Cibollar I (I believe this would be the first of the autumn here).

Martin

At the Cap de Ses Salines this evening, 198 Cory's Shearwaters from 18.25 until dusk, all flying east. 5 Audouin's gulls past. Sounds like a great day at s'Albufera Martin, I should have gone there! Mike

At s´Albufera this morning:
8 Spotted Redshank, one Garganey and an Osprey from Sa Roca
another Osprey, one Kestrel, one Bar-tailed Godwit, one Ruff, 4 Greenshank, 1 Green Sandpiper and 54 Spotted Redshank from Cibollar I
Also had something flying over calling that (I think) could only have been a Crane. Unfortunately I was on the path to Cibollar I so no view of the sky - or the bird!

Martin

Today in and around s´Albufera.

Cibollar I: 3 Green Sand., 1 Ruff, 3 Greenshank, 6 Spotted Redshank, Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Yellow Wagtail, 3 Black-winged Stilt, Water Rail calling.
Sa Roca: 1 Lapwing, 1 Green Sand., 3 Curlew Sand., 8 Dunlin, 1 Marbled Teal (one of the released birds - it has a white leg ring)
Lagoon along main road before Es Comú : 6 Flamingoes
Sa Roca (late afternoon/early evening: 3 Curlew Sand., 42 Spotted Redshank, 1 Bar-tailed Godwit, 1 Garganey, 1 Little Stint, 2 Pintail (first for the autumn), 1 Lapwing

Plus lots of Kentish, Little and Ringed Plovers. Some of the former, plus one of the latter, have coloured leg rings and if anyone sees them, please take a note of the colour combinations and report them (I´ll confirm to whom later).

Martin

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back